First 16242526272836 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Misty_Mountain_Rose View Post
    Perhaps those would be so intolerant as to hate having to work with someone who is gay wouldn't join the army to begin with for fear of having to work and live with someone who is gay. (If they feel that strongly about it and know its a possibility why wouldn't they think twice?)

In my opinion, I don't know that I want the people representing us to foreigners to be closed minded and prejudice. Tolerance and understanding should be something that a soldier understands and practices, maybe even above the responsibility of a civilian because their JOB is to be in other countries, with other cultures and to exist peacefully with them.
    I don't think it's necessarily just a cultural taboo, like race.
    I think it's an individual taboo based on typical male sexuality hang-ups.
    So each individual has to rise through it on their own.

With color, people just learn to accept the color as another permutation of skin color, no different than getting a tan (in practical terms). With the gay thing, there's an element of sexual attraction and behavior going on that is inherently threatening to men still formulating their own sexual identity; it creeps them out just like a woman might feel creeped out if she thought all the guys around her were potentially ogling her body. And I'm not saying that's what's going on.... but it's the prominent fear of that going on that then threatens the more insecure male.

And this might be more a pattern of individual growth to overcome, not necessarily a cultural one. Culture just can strongly enforce or unenforce neurotic tendencies by how it labels certain behaviors good or bad.

So removing general negative cultural stigma of being gay will help alleviate individual stress but will not totally remove it. If an individual saw being gay as just a variation of sexuality rather than as a perversion, then perhaps it could just be taken in stride (as race); unfortunately, gay behavior is entrenched as a perversion in certain predominate moral/religious circles, so that attitude is always going to be there for an individual to work through regardless.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INxJ

^ Well stated

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    I am open enough to consider it and even accept it. If it has empirical value.
    Here's your empirical evidence:

I think the factual picture speaks for itself.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilen View Post
    Here's your empirical evidence: I think the factual picture speaks for itself.
    Ahahaha! You're so right. I'm sold.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Nihilen: 1

Gay community: 0

Why can't the army extend the 'don't ask, don't tell' policy to EVERYONE? Regardless of sexual orientation - do not ask, do not tell. Why only for gays?

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Great idea, we could train gay baby elephants as marines and illegal immigrant bolivian llamas as jet pilots.

How did they not think of that ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilen View Post
    Great idea, we could train gay baby elephants as marines and illegal immigrant bolivian llamas as jet pilots.

How did they not think of that ?
    I think an opposable thumb is needed to handle le . That would negate elephants and llamas. Too bad.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    Why can't the army extend the 'don't ask, don't tell' policy to EVERYONE? Regardless of sexual orientation - do not ask, do not tell. Why only for gays?
    Jennifer covered it succinctly, a few posts up.

It really isn't going to change until the ultra conservative see, the gay guys aren't honing in on them to have sex in the showers. They are there to do a job. The majority will be serious about it, and go out of their way not to make the heteros uncomfortable. There are rampant stereotypes and misconceptions that seem like a possible reality, to those that have never known actual homosexuals. Conservatives are irrationally afraid or just plain intolerant.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    They are there to do a job.
    More like...A blowjob.