User Tag List

First 9171819202129 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    type

010: "Let's do X because it might not cause the world to collapse. You have no direct evidence which states the world will collapse. Some people say it probably won't collapse."

There's not a great reason for doing it, but since it might not cause chaos, it's essential.

MBTI
    INxJ

There's great evidence to suggest it will be fine, in time. The majority allows it, and has for quite some time.

Almost 30 nations—including most countries of the European Union—have no problems with anyone’s sexual orientation. The United Kingdom , whose soldiers serve with Americans in Afghanistan and Iraq , is even “actively recruiting” gays and lesbians, says Meyer. Of the 26 NATO nations, only the United States , Portugal , and Turkey don’t allow gays to openly serve in the military. And Turkey, says Meyer, “is close to allowing gays to serve.”
    Almost three-fourths of all military personnel say they are “comfortable” with having gays and lesbians in their units, according to a Zogby poll in December. About one-fourth of all military persons say they know that a member of their unit is gay—and it has no effect upon them.

Zogby
    December 18, 2006
    • 73% of military personnel are comfortable with lesbians and gays
    • 23% of service members know for sure that someone in their unit is gay, including 21% of those in combat units
    • 45% of military personnel suspect a member of their unit is gay

Banned
    MBTI
    type

^ Case in point, ignoring low benefit.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Using an argument from 1993 is completely relevant to 2009?
    Yes actually it is, especially since many of the fundamental natures of warfare have remained the same since the days when cavemen beat each other with sticks and stones. That's why ancient military texts like Sun Tzu's Art of War or even the 19th century strategist Carl von Clausewitz are still in vogue within military strategic thinking.

Tradition and history are very important in militaries, especially for practical purposes. As Otto von Bismarck once put it: "Fools learn from their own mistakes, I'd rather learn from other people's mistakes." And a deep understanding of history is important to the effectiveness of any commander.

Even armies marching under more radical ideological motivations, like the French Revolutionary Armies and Bolshevik Red Army still sought a connection with a previous tradition. The French saw themselves as latter-day Spartans and the Bolsheviks invoked the heritage of Cossack rebels like Stenka Razin and Yemelyan Pugachev, along with the Decemberists(a group of rebel soldiers who tried to overthrow the Tsar in 1825).

Now that got this out of the way, the arguments I submitted still stand.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    How is it low benefit?
    You think it's high benefit because your pride and joy is the advancement of homosexual "acceptance" in all arenas, despite cost.

I think it's low benefit because I know there's a difference between civilian and military life.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    You think it's high benefit because your pride and joy is the advancement of homosexual "acceptance" in all arenas, despite cost.

I think it's low benefit because I know there's a difference between civilian and military life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Now that got this out of the way, the arguments I submitted still stand.
    Not just me. 26 other nations. You both crack me up. lol Seriously. You can ignore all the evidence, and cling to your ideas even when it's been proven in 26 other nations that nothing horrific happens in the long run. It's accepted and even actively recruited.

In the beginning there will be issues, that is true for such a large change anywhere. In time, it will be a rare problem at most. Human nature is the same everywhere. Humans constantly evolve. Every new generation will be more tolerant and accepting. Look at Europe and Israel. Homophobia will never cease to exist, but it's not going to affect the majority long term.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

^Still no benefit summary.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Well, some would argue that the US army is powerful beyond need right now anyway. It can handle a little trouble.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Well, some would argue that the US army is powerful beyond need right now anyway. It can handle a little trouble.
    I would say it's at its most vulnerable point in a decade, if not longer.

MBTI
    INxJ

My reasoning has nothing to do with pride or joy. I've already stated any homosexual that flaunts their sexuality in the military, isn't cut out for that kind of work. It's inappropriate.