User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 11

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    79

    Default People have room in their hearts for One Great Belief ...

    ... be it meaningful or misguided. Either way, those who would hold sway over the minds and views of masses secure their hold by attaching themselves to such a great belief.

    This is cynical, manipulative, and bereft of character - but, sadly, it works.

  2. #2
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel View Post
    ... be it meaningful or misguided. Either way, those who would hold sway over the minds and views of masses secure their hold by attaching themselves to such a great belief.

    This is cynical, manipulative, and bereft of character - but, sadly, it works.
    What do you mean?

  3. #3
    ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INfj
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    How do you know they just have room for one? And how do you determine what beliefs are of the appropriate "greatness"?
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

  4. #4
    Per Ardua Metamorphosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    3,466

    Default

    I disagree. I think people only want one great belief because then you have less to reconcile. I guess that still works with the OP though.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

    Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

  5. #5
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel View Post
    ... be it meaningful or misguided. Either way, those who would hold sway over the minds and views of masses secure their hold by attaching themselves to such a great belief.

    This is cynical, manipulative, and bereft of character - but, sadly, it works.
    This never works. This is why the world is so messed up. The only way to heal humans is one person at a time taking care of their own weaknesses, otherwise tyrants continue to exploit people's desire to have someone else master them.

    A billion zeros still equals zero!

  6. #6
    Boring old fossil Night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None
    Posts
    4,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel View Post
    ... be it meaningful or misguided. Either way, those who would hold sway over the minds and views of masses secure their hold by attaching themselves to such a great belief.

    This is cynical, manipulative, and bereft of character - but, sadly, it works.
    Your premise could use some sharpening -- what exactly are you referring to?

    What is "One Great Belief"? Do you mean data that is inherently unfalsifiable?

    Do you mean belief as it applies to...theism? Theoretical biology? A belief isn't a naked concept. Often, many smaller beliefs cooperate to form a unified value system. Giving it this global description is simply assigning definition to the entire superstructure.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Your premise could use some sharpening -- what exactly are you referring to?

    What is "One Great Belief"? Do you mean data that is inherently unfalsifiable?

    Do you mean belief as it applies to...theism? Theoretical biology? A belief isn't a naked concept. Often, many smaller beliefs cooperate to form a unified value system. Giving it this global description is simply assigning definition to the entire superstructure.
    Valid criticism --- I do need to tighten it up a bit ... let me think about it and I'll take another shot ...

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    tyrants continue to exploit people's desire to have someone else master them.
    Upon what do you base the assertion that people desire to be mastered?

    I'm not disagreeing, I'm just curious about the specifics of your viewpoint ...

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    8

    Default

    I can't speak for anyone else, but what it seems like to me is that things are always screwed up to some degree, and the more screwed up things are the more people want some great leader to take over and somehow make everything better. If you look at most extreamly authoritarian regimes, the majority of the population wanted the so called leaders to take control, and they usually did make things better for that majority, while screwing over everyone else. Then they often attempt to screw with other nations, which is usually met with short term victory and long term defeat.

    In the US we do it too, but to a lesser extent. Why do you think our presidents almost always fall short of expectations? Because we expect them to be the savior or somthing which is just not realistic. I believe that Obama was elected mainly off of this false belief people seem to have, and will almost certainly fall short of the absurd expectations he has set for himself. Personally I don't like Obama very much, but even if you do agree with what he says, and aprove of everything he does in office, I just don't think it's possible for him or anyone else to magically fix everything.

  10. #10
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel View Post
    Upon what do you base the assertion that people desire to be mastered?

    I'm not disagreeing, I'm just curious about the specifics of your viewpoint ...
    Because they abidicate their control over their own behavior and allow others to take charge.

Similar Threads

  1. Do religious people ACTUALLY believe in their books?
    By EcK in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 106
    Last Post: 01-04-2016, 01:53 AM
  2. Typical savings for someone in their early 20s
    By Bamboo in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 09-29-2010, 12:56 AM
  3. More people have cellphones than toilets in India.
    By kendoiwan in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 05-26-2010, 05:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO