User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default People have room in their hearts for One Great Belief ...

... be it meaningful or misguided. Either way, those who would hold sway over the minds and views of masses secure their hold by attaching themselves to such a great belief.

This is cynical, manipulative, and bereft of character - but, sadly, it works.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel View Post
    ... be it meaningful or misguided. Either way, those who would hold sway over the minds and views of masses secure their hold by attaching themselves to such a great belief.

What do you mean?

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

How do you know they just have room for one? And how do you determine what beliefs are of the appropriate "greatness"?
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    INTJ

I disagree. I think people only want one great belief because then you have less to reconcile. I guess that still works with the OP though.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

heart on fire

This never works. This is why the world is so messed up. The only way to heal humans is one person at a time taking care of their own weaknesses, otherwise tyrants continue to exploit people's desire to have someone else master them.

A billion zeros still equals zero!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Your premise could use some sharpening -- what exactly are you referring to?

What is "One Great Belief"? Do you mean data that is inherently unfalsifiable?

Do you mean belief as it applies to...theism? Theoretical biology? A belief isn't a naked concept. Often, many smaller beliefs cooperate to form a unified value system. Giving it this global description is simply assigning definition to the entire superstructure.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Your premise could use some sharpening -- what exactly are you referring to?

What is "One Great Belief"? Do you mean data that is inherently unfalsifiable?

Do you mean belief as it applies to...theism? Theoretical biology? A belief isn't a naked concept. Often, many smaller beliefs cooperate to form a unified value system. Giving it this global description is simply assigning definition to the entire superstructure.
    Valid criticism --- I do need to tighten it up a bit ... let me think about it and I'll take another shot ...

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    tyrants continue to exploit people's desire to have someone else master them.
    Upon what do you base the assertion that people desire to be mastered?

I'm not disagreeing, I'm just curious about the specifics of your viewpoint ...

MBTI
    ISTP

I can't speak for anyone else, but what it seems like to me is that things are always screwed up to some degree, and the more screwed up things are the more people want some great leader to take over and somehow make everything better. If you look at most extreamly authoritarian regimes, the majority of the population wanted the so called leaders to take control, and they usually did make things better for that majority, while screwing over everyone else. Then they often attempt to screw with other nations, which is usually met with short term victory and long term defeat.

In the US we do it too, but to a lesser extent. Why do you think our presidents almost always fall short of expectations? Because we expect them to be the savior or somthing which is just not realistic. I believe that Obama was elected mainly off of this false belief people seem to have, and will almost certainly fall short of the absurd expectations he has set for himself. Personally I don't like Obama very much, but even if you do agree with what he says, and aprove of everything he does in office, I just don't think it's possible for him or anyone else to magically fix everything.

heart on fire

Upon what do you base the assertion that people desire to be mastered?

I'm not disagreeing, I'm just curious about the specifics of your viewpoint ...
    Because they abidicate their control over their own behavior and allow others to take charge.