User Tag List

12 Last

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Default US Businessman Fakes Death to Avoid Prison

US Businessman fakes his own death to avoid fraud charges...

Marcus Schrenker, accused of stealing millions from investors, was treated in hospital for self-inflicted cuts.

He was semi-conscious and apparently resisting first aid when found.

It is thought he parachuted out of his company aeroplane after making a fake distress call, leaving the plane to crash in north-western Florida.

The Indiana businessman was arrested on Tuesday night at a campsite in Quincy, northern Florida.

Police officer Frank Chiumento said Mr Schrenker had a self-inflicted gash to his left wrist and a puncture wound near his elbow.
    I find this story insulting, simply because I think it was so poorly devised. To me, why not ditch the plane over water? It would be much easier to explain the disappearance of the body by being swept away by currents or eaten by a shark. Also, why would you ever send in a distress call. If you don't call in the distress, you could have been anywhere along your flight plan when you crashed, which makes the search not only much more difficult, but it would take longer to get going, and the trick in faking your own death is to leave behind as little information as possible.

All in all a terrible job. Thoughts?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Well, yeah. You'd think a "businessman" would be smarter than that. It might be sick, but I have actually a few plans (which I am never going to act out, I hope) to disappear into thin air. I think one of the best one is to join the foreign legion, disappear for five years in some far-off country and come out with french citizenship, a new name and everything

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    Well, yeah. You'd think a "businessman" would be smarter than that. It might be sick, but I have actually a few plans (which I am never going to act out, I hope) to disappear into thin air. I think one of the best one is to join the foreign legion, disappear for five years in some far-off country and come out with french citizenship, a new name and everything
    This whole situation got me into thinking about how I would fake my own death/disappearance. Although to be honest, I think that if the businessman were intelligent in the first place, he would have been able to avoid legal trouble and also would not have been caught cheating on his wife in the first place.

I don't know how I'd fake my own death. But somehow I think it would have to involve Africa.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

I think it's funny, but yeah you're right, poor planning...

My plan would involve some thermite. That's all I'm sayin

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    I think it's funny, but yeah you're right, poor planning...

My plan would involve some thermite. That's all I'm sayin
    Yes! It is not hard to rig an explosive powerful enough to make the plane crash. Although I think modern forensics would be able to determine arson nowadays. Best to make it look as accidental as possible.

MBTI
    Hype

Well that's the beauty of thermite, it burns so hot it basically vaporizes 99% of matter into gaseous form. Any residue would be charred carbon that could have come from any organism

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Thermite is so obvious... It screams out "HEY I FAKED MY DEEEATH!!! YO-HOOO, POLICEMAN, I SO TOTALLY FAKED MY OWN DEATH!" Better to just disappear or to be lost at sea or such.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    Hype

pffft whatevah!! I do what I want!!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    Well that's the beauty of thermite, it burns so hot it basically vaporizes 99% of matter into gaseous form. Any residue would be charred carbon that could have come from any organism
    Yes, because a puddle of perfectly melted iron isn't going to cause any suspicions.

MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by Darjur View Post
    Yes, because a puddle of perfectly melted iron isn't going to cause any suspicions.
    Right, because leaving nothing suspicious would be the whole point of using thermite......