User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Tonight it will be life-threateningly cold here. My major concern is for all the poor creatures who don't have shelter.

We burn wood so the house is usually cozy. Sometimes warm enough that I open the storm doors. Today I heard the furnace come on and went down to see what was going on with the wood stove. Um, it was burning merrily. That's cold.

The coldest I remember was a night in January quite a few years ago when the wind child was -90. Some crazy fool stole our car battery that night. Must've frozen his dang fingers off getting it out.

I don't mind it. Amuse myself listening to all the minor accident reports. We've got a lot of people here who don't know how to drive in the snow. Definitely not natives.

Only thing that's bothering me is missing my motorcycle. I've decided that when the temp hits forty I'm out the door!
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

They say abnormally cold temperatures are shifting into the Northeast U.S. area, with Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec, etc. too, probably.

Are you guys in that area feeling a big difference from "usual" winter cold?
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    I complain in the Summer when it gets above 90.
    Okay, I see, so it all balances out. Yin and yang, and all that.

It's actually really pretty here today. I started to leave the house all bundled up, prepared for that ice-cold wind, but it was quite nice. Clear and cool, but not really cold.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastMohican View Post
    I wish that global warming would hurry up a bit.
    I hate how someone, somewhere, always has to say this every time it's cold outside.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I hate how someone, somewhere, always has to say this every time it's cold outside.
    Yeah, it does get old. I think it was meant to be a joke here, but there are still people who use that as an argument against global warming whenever it gets cold like this. I bet youd hear quite a bit today if you turned on the Rush Limbaugh show.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

The Big Cold is supposed to hit us here too tonight. Going down just below Freezing, they say, which isn't that bad.

Evening edit: I went outside, it's still quite a bit above Freezing.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    You fucking pussies...

It was snowing and -30 for three god-damn weeks here (Alberta) in December; did you hear us bitching about it? Hell no.
    Instead you guys bitch about how Toronto bitches about everything, hahahaha (not that you just did that, but all the Albertans I know do).

I'm not from Toronto, by the way, but I am from Ontario.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Tonight it will be life-threateningly cold here. My major concern is for all the poor creatures who don't have shelter.
    All those critters have fur coats, holes in the ground, and genetics that have adapted them to their environment for however many millennia. They'll be fine.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

-5 degrees here- NOT looking forward to walking the dog... it never did get above 0 here today

oh well- nothing I can do about it, though I wish that it was warmer inside! (the heat's on, but it's colder than it should be thanks to the abundance of windows)
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    All those critters have fur coats, holes in the ground, and genetics that have adapted them to their environment for however many millennia. They'll be fine.
    Thanks for the reasurrance, Risen. But truth is that what you are saying is a commonly held belief which isn't true.

Felines have a very low tolerance to cold and suffer hypothermia very quickly. Barn cats are no exception.

And anytime you have an ice storm there will be many dead birds whose wings ice up and they freeze to death.

My daughter has a flock of pheasants who have made her farm their home. She says they burrow down into the snow and seem to survive that way. I've also seen dawgs do this.

For man and beast these kinds of temperatures are dangerous.

I do appreciate the reassurance, nonetheless.

I also think of the kids. Party night tonight. And you know weather is never a deterrent to that. We occasionally have kids leave parties and be found stuck to the yard the next morning. Casual friends of ours lost their son that way about ten years ago.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer