User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INxJ

Default Obama: Once Supported Gay Marriage

According to the Windy City Times, during the 1996 race for the Illinois State Senate, President-Elect Barack Obama gave statements that expressed an "unequivocal support for gay marriage." From the WCT's press release:
    President-elect Obama's answer to a 1996 Outlines newspaper question on marriage was: "I favor legalizing same-sex marriages, and would fight efforts to prohibit such marriages." There was no use of the phrase "civil unions". [Outlines purchased Windy City Times in 2000 and merged companies.]

This answer is among those included in this week's Windy City Times feature on Obama's evolving position on gay marriage. Windy City Times also includes his answers to the candidate questionnaire of IMPACT, at one time a gay political action committee in Illinois. In that survey he also stated his support of same-sex marriage.

During the final weeks of the presidential campaign last fall, several media outlets contacted Windy City Times because of an old internet story from the 1996 Illinois state Senate race. In that campaign, Outlines newspaper reported that 13th District candidate Barack Obama supported gay marriage. Reporters wanted to know what exactly Obama had said.

Outlines summarized the results in that 1996 article by Trudy Ring, but did not list exact answers to questions. In that article Outlines did note that Obama was a supporter of same-sex marriage and that article was never challenged or corrected by Obama. Just recently, the original Outlines and IMPACT surveys were found in the newspaper's archives.

Obama Once Supported Same-Sex Marriage 'Unequivocally'

Seriously?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

So what are the implications of this --that no one's positions are allowed to evolve for non-nefarious reasons?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Okay. Should I grab my pitchfork and torch or...I don't really get what you're trying to say. I know you're gay, but your reaction isn't indicative of a for or against position. So I don't really know how to comment.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    So what are the implications of this --that no one's positions are allowed to evolve for non-nefarious reasons?
    I'm really surprised because I misjudged him. I was right that he's calculating (what politician isn't). Yet, I believed the campaign for change was merely a tactic, and that he was masking more conservative beliefs. Apparently, his old church has been pro-gay marriage for years.

Currently, it's impossible for a president get elected while supporting gay marriage. Considering everything else he had going against him...

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Okay. Should I grab my pitchfork and torch or...I don't really get what you're trying to say. I know you're gay, but your reaction isn't indicative of a for or against position. So I don't really know how to comment.
    lol Neither. Just caught off guard, because my analysis of him was incorrect.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    I'm really surprised because I misjudged him. I was right that he's calculating (what politician isn't). Yet, I believed the campaign for change was merely a tactic, and that he was masking more conservative beliefs. Apparently, his old church has been pro-gay marriage for years.

Currently, it's impossible for a president get elected while supporting gay marriage. Considering everything else he had going against him...
    He has been planning his presidential run for years. He is immensely intelligent. Which is why I liked him as a person. However, I was unsure of his motivations before his election. The man played the system perfectly and his rise in popularity was perfect.

Also, you cannot dispute the current displeasure with the Republican party as a huge factor in his election. He wouldn't have won 8 or 4 years ago, I don't think.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

You misjudged him from the OTHER angle?

Interesting.

I always found him sincere (and like Jock says, immensely intelligent)... regardless of the obvious ways that politicians do play the diplomat and avoid positioning themselves in dead-end positions if possible.

There's a big difference between how he plays diplomat versus someone like Bill Clinton, etc.

When I eval people, I'm looking "big picture" and seeing how the pieces fit together. Lots of times you can figure out motivations or at least have a hint of them from how the pieces line up -- they suggest the rest of the puzzle. With Obama, none of the areas I had to sketch in had any reason to deviate from the portrayal, unlike with some other public figures.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Yet, I believed the campaign for change was merely a tactic, and that he was masking more conservative beliefs.

Guess it's time to say: WE TOL' YOU SO !

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilen View Post
    Guess it's time to say: WE TOL' YOU SO !
    Aw, you were sayin' dat before he even got 'lected!

MBTI
    INxJ

You misjudged him from the OTHER angle?

Interesting.

I always found him sincere (and like Jock says, immensely intelligent)... regardless of the obvious ways that politicians do play the diplomat and avoid positioning themselves in dead-end positions if possible.

There's a big difference between how he plays diplomat versus someone like Bill Clinton, etc.
    Yes. I believe he is also very intelligent. I also like his non-partisan policy on accepting all suggestions that work. That is a reasonable man.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Aw, you were sayin' dat before he even got 'lected!
    Nawt relly, but whos keepin' score ?