User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    well, I can tell you that the white evangelicals aren't going to sell out their values just to increase the tax base and improve the economy; they're fighting off the decline of their cultural values.
    Of course not. They poured millions of dollars into Prop 8, during financial crisis no less.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Rewarding people on welfare is very important.

MBTI
    INTP

I can't tell whether he's trying to be funny about the John Walker Lindh segment, or not. If not, John Waters is a dumb-ass.
    Last edited by lowtech redneck; 01-14-2009 at 11:06 AM. Reason: spelling

Kickin' Ass since 1984 GargoylesLegacy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    esTp

Heh, I see that finally you guys got a good president for a change. I am very happy for you, especially since he supports gay marriage. The world didn't need another idiot telling us how "unnormal and insane" that is. *roll eyes*

On a lighter-hearted side: So, when is our wedding, 01011010?
    Rule #1: Driver picks the music. Shotgun shuts his cakehole.

Again, Demons I get, but people are just crazy.

ESTP? o.O

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilen View Post
    And isn't pink the gayest colour ?
    You know, this kind of rings something to me.

Pink is a male colour... not female or gay. It was associated with red, which was bold and aggressive... it's only recently that the blue/pink thing developed.

Curious, sure, but it touches on one of the major drivers - socialization. So much is wrapped up in culture and values that are simply personal reactions to whatever we grew up in. Even your 'United States of Russia' poster has tendrils in it.

Just found the comment above kind of ironic, in that context.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    I can't tell whether he's trying to be funny about the John Walker Lindh segment, or not. If not, John Waters is a dumb-ass.
    Who knows, but it didn't seem as though he was. Either way, not shocking coming from him.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by GargoylesLegacy View Post
    Heh, I see that finally you guys got a good president for a change. I am very happy for you, especially since he supports gay marriage. The world didn't need another idiot telling us how "unnormal and insane" that is. *roll eyes*

On a lighter-hearted side: So, when is our wedding, 01011010?
    Let me pencil you in for next tuesday.

Who knows, but it didn't seem as though he was. Either way, not shocking coming from him.
    I don't think he was either. Just using sarcasm.

MBTI
    ENTP

Itís not terribly shocking that Obama once openly supported gay marriage. Iím sure he still does privately, even if he feels heís now in a position where he has to hedge on it. And I doubt Kerry was every truly opposed to it either, though the best he could do for gays in that year's political climate was to say he was against gay marriage but also against the constitutional ban that Bush favoredówhich is almost like saying youíre against abortion but donít support making it illegal. In any case the homophobes were not impressed; they knew Bush was their man. As much as any other single factor, this probably cost Kerry the election.

The difference is that the economic mess trumped bigotry this time around in the presidential race; not with hardcore evenangelicals, but with enough moderates and independents and maybe a slice of the less extreme Christian Right for Obama to win a decisive victory. But donít expect any bold declarations in favor of gay marriage from Obama anytime soon.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by mysterio View Post
    But donít expect any bold declarations in favor of gay marriage from Obama anytime soon.
    I agree with this.

He needs to get re-elected for another term first. Also, I'm sure he wants to avoid giving further reason for the possibility of being assassinated.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Currently, it's impossible for a president get elected while supporting gay marriage. Considering everything else he had going against him...
    I don't believe it's a safe assumption to think that platform makes or breaks a candidates success.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I don't believe it's a safe assumption to think that platform makes or breaks a candidates success.
    Not always.

Yet, Obama was inexperienced. He's an African American. You can't negate what a big deal that was. Otherwise, there would have already been an ethnic minority as president. He didn't need to tack on, even more perceived 'otherness'.

The fact that all 3 gay amendments were passed this election, shows the country still isn't ready for progressive gay laws.