User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Tazers

Default Tazers

Torturers say the purpose torture is to save lives.

While George Orwell says the purpose of torture is torture.

And today they say that the purpose of Tazers is to save lives.

Do you think the purpose of Tazers is to save lives or to torture?

MBTI
    ISFJ

It's to let police officers feel that sadistic rush they've been waiting for ever since they entered the academy.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i like the idea of tazers quite a lot because a temporary problem calls for a temporary solution...imo.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

I don't think things have any purpose past the one we give them.
    We humans are meant to see paterns and movement where there isn't. We give meaning to the universe because that's how evolution made us to be.

But hey, open your eyes, everything is relative isn't just a nice quote to put on a t shirt.
    Things are so relative in fact, that calling them things is already overkill.

Tazers just are what we make them to be. Because that's how we work.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    It's to let police officers feel that sadistic rush they've been waiting for ever since they entered the academy.
    Well that's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. If Police methods were about catering to sadistic tendencies, I'd think that using the baton (or nightstick) wouldn't be such taboo in today's policing.

I'll never understand people that think that it's a solution to quell an officer's ability to defend him/herself and maintain order.

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    I'd think that using the baton (or nightstick) wouldn't be such taboo in today's policing.
    For some reason I believe Beat's logic.

But maybeez Victor was alluding to the pernicious way government treats is citizens as idiots by selling them a bottle of piss dressed as champagne.

Clearly just as many people are going to get shot; it is just lots more people will be tazered. People who wouldn't get shot (you can't shoot a drunk; not even in Texas). I'd guess it's drug users & people with mental health problems that will get the extra zaps. Often by technically less competent officers - puting it politely, with due deference to law enforcement officers the world over.

The tazer isn't really the point.

MBTI
    ISTx

^I was just specifically responding to Sytpg's post.

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    I don't think things have any purpose past the one we give them.
    We humans are meant to see paterns and movement where there isn't. We give meaning to the universe because that's how evolution made us to be.

But hey, open your eyes, everything is relative isn't just a nice quote to put on a t shirt.
    Things are so relative in fact, that calling them things is already overkill.

Tazers just are what we make them to be. Because that's how we work.
    I've just watched a student being tasered in a library. I found it shocking and disturbing.

It led to a huge student demonstration against the use of tasers on campus.

But in time honoured fashion, the demonstration was led by the Left. Except this time the demonstration was also led by Islamists. And a great many of the demonstators were also Islamists.

I found this equally shocking and disturbing.

And it turns out the student who was tasered in the library was also an Islamist. And it you watch the videoing of the tasering, you can see the student is provoking it and prolonging it for the audience and particularly for the video cameras.

In other words we are being treated to Agitprop.

And it was classic Agitprop with cries of, "police brutality", and a highly emotional and mindless demonstration afterwards.

Agitprop of course means, Agitation-Propaganda.

Agitprop plays on the emotions, quite often with an atrocity or official brutality in order to put our thinking minds to sleep so that the propaganda message can enter our minds uncritically.

And these videos made in the library are effective Agitprop.

MBTI
    ISTx

That dude was a jackass and he deserved every bit of the unpleasantness that came in turn behind the repeated warnings. Not a jerk, just telling it like it is. I think you agree with me Vic.

I agree, it was "agitprop" for sure. He knew things were going to turn sour. How could they not? He rejoiced at the chance to yell "brutality!", "My rights are crushed!"...

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Well that's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. If Police methods were about catering to sadistic tendencies, I'd think that using the baton (or nightstick) wouldn't be such taboo in today's policing.
    I agree. Besides, there's plenty of pyschological evaulation done often in departments to rule out those kinds of people.