User Tag List

First 456

Thread: Tazers

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Torturers say the purpose torture is to save lives.

While George Orwell says the purpose of torture is torture.

And today they say that the purpose of Tazers is to save lives.

Do you think the purpose of Tazers is to save lives or to torture?

While everything will be abused from their intended purpose, would you rather police just have firearms as their only option? Tazers give a non lethal option to police. Misuse should be dealt with the correct way. Now THAT is something that can be debated (corruption, etc...)

Remember, police won't shoot to wound... Plus they aren't trained enough for that anyways.

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    My parents taught me to always respect the uniform, no matter how I felt about the person inside it.

They also taught me to follow the directions of a police officer, and if I felt like arguing, to do it later.

I have often seen these two rules broken with a police officer. And very soon it becomes a contest of wills between the person and the officer.

The officer cannot afford to lose. And so is usually quite skilled in enforcing his will. Or in breaking the will of the person.

Usually it is just a minor little tragedy that could have been avoided by following the two rules for dealing with a police officer.

But we seem to forget that there is just a person inside the uniform trying to do a difficult job.
    The game dictates that the police officer *cannot* lose, he has a badge that the state has given him - annointing him with the power of the state.

He knows this - it's why he took the job. An insult to him is an insult to the state; a slap in the face to the court and an index finger to the jury. A small part of a bigger whole.

Like yourself Victor I tread with caution around such ambassadors. I know that a coarse fellow in riot gear will not appreciate the fineries around my debate about free speech - he will only exercise his remit. He will obey orders. If that include tazing me, he will do it.

If this includes tazing some hapless 16-year old with a big mouth, you know who's getting zapped.

The only people that get zapped are those who cannot understand the odds of the game they are about to play.

Or those who know exactly what the odds are, when PC Plod appears on you-Tube looking foolish. Sometimes hapless 16-year olds are cleverer than we think.

If your odds are poor at the game, just change the game.

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    The game dictates that the police officer *cannot* lose, he has a badge that the state has given him - annointing him with the power of the state.

He knows this - it's why he took the job. An insult to him is an insult to the state; a slap in the face to the court and an index finger to the jury. A small part of a bigger whole.

Like yourself Victor I tread with caution around such ambassadors. I know that a coarse fellow in riot gear will not appreciate the fineries around my debate about free speech - he will only exercise his remit. He will obey orders. If that include tazing me, he will do it.

If this includes tazing some hapless 16-year old with a big mouth, you know who's getting zapped.

The only people that get zapped are those who cannot understand the odds of the game they are about to play.

Or those who know exactly what the odds are, when PC Plod appears on you-Tube looking foolish. Sometimes hapless 16-year olds are cleverer than we think.

If your odds are poor at the game, just change the game.
    Quite right, Banana.

Quote Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
    Remember, police won't shoot to wound...
    Yeah it's true. Police all over the world are trained to shoot for the trunk, and to keep shooting until the person is completely incapacitated or dead.

I always keep this in mind. And if a police officer ever drew his gun on me, I would know I was close to death.