User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Thread: Tazers

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Indeed, Victor - and a very impressive weapon it is that you are pointing.

As the actress said to the bishop.
    Indeed yes, and it is a discovery for me.

For you are looking down the lense of piece of hardware that can convert three dimensional reality into two dimensional representation.

And once we have reduced reality by one dimension, we can do what we like with it.

And being reduced by one dimension, reality becomes art and can be used to deceive or elucidate.

And truth as you know is the first casualty of war, and the camera fires the first shot.

At the same time we all know that the camera never lies, so our disbelief is automatically suspended - and we are primed and ready to believe the propaganda of war.

Just as Bishops are inclined to believe the propaganda of actresses.

Quote Originally Posted by mlittrell View Post
    when used properly they are excellent and quite a great idea. problem is they are abused. so really the question shouldn't be tazers, it should be the people using the tazers.

same applies to guns.
    Tazers still keep nagging at me. And I think it is because of context.

And it is the present and immediate context.

As I write it is becoming clear that the West has ordered torture at the highest levels.

It is against the signed Convention Against Torture and of course the Geneva Conventions.

However we all know that those who ordered torture will not be brought before the Criminal Courts.

And it is in this context that tasers are being introduced.

Tasers look like electric cattle prods that were used to torture and humiliate Blacks in prison.

And tasers look like instruments of coercive interrogation in that they leave no physical marks on the victim.

And coercive interrogation are the the weasel words for torture, mouthed at the highest levels.

So the words, "Torture and Taser", resonate together like a large pealing bell.

And for whom does the bell toll?

heart on fire

The danger I could see about tazers is that if people take them too lightly they may be used with a more heavy hand by those in authority.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    The danger I could see about tazers is that if people take them too lightly they may be used with a more heavy hand by those in authority.
    Yes, I think tasers are a great temptation for those in authority.

Just the other day in Brisbane a small 16 year old girl was held down by two guards and tazed by a police officer.

This was so disproportionate that the Magistrate was moved to comment on it in the subsequent Court case.

The problem is that in a situation of conflict the authority wants to impose his will. And to do this he needs to break the will of his opponent. And the tazer does this immediately without leaving any marks.

So the problem is that if the authority does not impose his will, he is not doing his job.

And breaking the will of his opponent is so easy with a tazer, particularly if she is 16 year old girl.

heart on fire

And this is the real harm done by strawman videos like you saw. If it is seen as alarmist and of course the ever ready label of "conspriacy theorist" to question the use of tazers by those in authority, then people will simply stop questioning and that's never good.

"Conspriacy theory" is such a handy label to smack on something when wanting to quiet opposition or questioning and the best way to label something as a conspiracy theory is to be the one who creates the theory to begin with.

Nobody wants to risk being considered a conspiracy theorist. Better to do go along with whatever is asked than be a conspiracy theorist.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Yes, I think tasers are a great temptation for those in authority.

Just the other day in Brisbane a small 16 year old girl was held down by two guards and tazed by a police officer.

This was so disproportionate that the Magistrate was moved to comment on it in the subsequent Court case.

The problem is that in a situation of conflict the authority wants to impose his will. And to do this he needs to break the will of his opponent. And the tazer does this immediately without leaving any marks.

So the problem is that if the authority does not impose his will, he is not doing his job.

And breaking the will of his opponent is so easy with a tazer, particularly if she is 16 year old girl.
    That's about the long and short of it, right there.

MBTI
    ISTP

I say it's simple: Make the police officers be required to have as much paperwork and evidence of wrongdoing that caused them to use it as they have when they discharge their firearms. That would make them use it more appropriately.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

^^ good point.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

heart on fire

Goodness knows no one ever got away with fudging on paperwork.

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    I say it's simple: Make the police officers be required to have as much paperwork and evidence of wrongdoing that caused them to use it as they have when they discharge their firearms. That would make them use it more appropriately.
    My parents taught me to always respect the uniform, no matter how I felt about the person inside it.

They also taught me to follow the directions of a police officer, and if I felt like arguing, to do it later.

I have often seen these two rules broken with a police officer. And very soon it becomes a contest of wills between the person and the officer.

The officer cannot afford to lose. And so is usually quite skilled in enforcing his will. Or in breaking the will of the person.

Usually it is just a minor little tragedy that could have been avoided by following the two rules for dealing with a police officer.

But we seem to forget that there is just a person inside the uniform trying to do a difficult job.