User Tag List

12 Last

Default European gas crisis

Well, the Russians stopped the gas supply to the Ukraine several days ago, and, therefore, to another countries connected to Ukraine's pipelines as well. I live in one of the afflicted countries. (Though I don't complain. It's fucking freezing nowadays here but we live in a house and have a furnace and heat with wood. The schools could be closed as well if the situation won't get fixed soon). If the situation won't get fixed soon, the citizens with no other possibility than gas-based heating could have really hard time, and cold, that is to say. All big factories using gas have been shut down already. Smaller factories are next on the slaughter line.

Well, the Ukrainians were reportedly stealing part of the gas being transited through their country; another issue is the price of gas:
    Ukrainians, leaning towards west and NATO nowadays, have been buying gas from Russia for low prices until now (for around 170$ per 1000 cubic meters), because they were bond with Russia during USSR era, you know. But now, Russians are bitching: "You want to go with the west, have such prices then, motherfuckers", and are demanding anything up to 400$ per 1000 cubic meters (which is price for european countries, acutally). Well, they are leading proceedings, but no agreement were done yet.. so gas doesn't flow in meanwhile.

Another fucked-up situation rose in my country. There are power plants using gas to make electricity, but there's no constant gas supply anymore. So that's the problem. There's a threat of imminent blackout, if something wasn't done. And our government decided to work out an interesting solution. Well, when we were being accepted into EU, one of the requirements were to shut down one of our two nuclear plants. So be it. But now, they want to revive that nuclear plant temporarily so we would have enough electricity during gas crisis. EU commissars and that fuckheads are of course bitching and threatening us, but it seems to gonna happen..

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Where are you from ? Czech Republic ? Then we would be soulmates, cause my family comes from there.

I heard on TV today that the crisis is about to be solved and the gas flows again. But I am not sure about the details.

I dont think so though that the EU will deny you warm homes and electricity. That would result in very bad Karma. I think they are probably more likely to fund the new western prices for you or to allow you to switch on your reserves.

The only problem would be that bureaucracy is slow and people suffer in the meantime.

I didnt get your point of the thread though. Did you mean that you were better off with Russia back then or did you weant to point intrest towards the crisis ? I tell you get used to the word crisis the next one is about to dawn. The time when communist governments lied to the people telling everything is ok are over I think ..
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ISFJ

Yeah, it's bitter truth after bitter truth now...

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

I know I shouldn't think these things much less say them, but I think this whole situaton is hilarious....

Let me explain why though: The utter BAWLS of the Russians to do this like once every 2 or 3 years, which seems to work almost like clockwork cuz they always do it during winter. Of course they usually say it's for reasons X, Y and Z and of course not politcally motivated, but I think they do it just on principle of wanting to let people know what's up. It's like Russia is basically saying "We have so many resources that you depend on that we don't have to play Dipolmat to Western Politics. Do no forget the leverage we have against you."

It's "gangster" like the Russians usually are. Gotta respect the Gangsters.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

You have got a point there.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Also, the Israeli-Gaza conflict has the UN tied up, so they probably figure it's a good enough smoke screen until that's settled. Not to mention UN has once again reminded the world that they are worthless, and if they can't force Israel to do anything, they sure as hell aren't going to make Russia do anything.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Quote Originally Posted by Gauche View Post
    Well, when we were being accepted into EU, one of the requirements were to shut down one of our two nuclear plants...

That seems strange considering most of the other countries have nuclear plants. For example, France gets something like two thirds of its power that way. Was there a particular reason for wherever you are from to not be allowed them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    I know I shouldn't think these things much less say them, but I think this whole situaton is hilarious....

Let me explain why though: The utter BAWLS of the Russians to do this like once every 2 or 3 years, which seems to work almost like clockwork cuz they always do it during winter. Of course they usually say it's for reasons X, Y and Z and of course not politcally motivated, but I think they do it just on principle of wanting to let people know what's up. It's like Russia is basically saying "We have so many resources that you depend on that we don't have to play Dipolmat to Western Politics. Do no forget the leverage we have against you."

It's "gangster" like the Russians usually are. Gotta respect the Gangsters.
    Or the Black Sea Fleet's leasehold in Sevastopol, Crimea running out in 2017 [?]Main news

Loosing the Black Sea fleet would be a considerable blow in political and military terms. The significance of the Black Sea region is crucial to the game the Russians are playing []Alex Jones' Infowars.com: Because there is a war on for your mind!.

Ukraine could hold them to ransom, with the right incentives.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

It is possible they enforce on new members what they wish for themselves. They try to shut them down one by one in their own countries but cant meet the new power requirements. In Germany they handed out tax savings to companies who shut down nuclear plants and builded old coal plants instead. The other side of the coin is that new coal plants are now coming like turf out of the earth and work against CO2 reduction plans.

Its a crappy mess, if everyone wants to get his piece of cake -.-

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Or the Black Sea Fleet's leasehold in Sevastopol, Crimea running out in 2017 [?]Main news

Loosing the Black Sea fleet would be a considerable blow in political and military terms. The significance of the Black Sea region is crucial to the game the Russians are playing []Alex Jones' Infowars.com: Because there is a war on for your mind!.

Ukraine could hold them to ransom, with the right incentives.
    Very interesting and no doubt relevant, but that can't be the ONLY reason for Russia wanting to flex their political muscles a little bit with this stunt. They're worried about losing footholds all over eastern Europe