User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Avoiding Chinese food nearly impossible.

Avoiding Chinese food products nearly impossible - CNN.com

According to the above story, companies are only required to label where food was processed and packaged, and not where all ingredients originate. In other words, it's almost impossible to avoid food from China. This is quite a shock to me, as I knew we were buying their electronics, but I thought we produced most of our own food. What do you think the ramifications of this could be?

MBTI
    INXP

Sorry, who's "we"?

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Avoiding Chinese food products nearly impossible - CNN.com

According to the above story, companies are only required to label where food was processed and packaged, and not where all ingredients originate. In other words, it's almost impossible to avoid food from China. This is quite a shock to me, as I knew we were buying their electronics, but I thought we produced most of our own food. What do you think the ramifications of this could be?
    We are handling this here in this house with dark humor. Every time we use some processed food we joke "Oh new and improved flavor, now with melamine!"

I think the ramifications won't be known for many years and even then no one will ever admit it came from trading in food with countries with poorer standards like China.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Sorry, who's "we"?
    Sorry, I forgot this was an international forum. I'm a citizen of the United States of America, and it is our country that I ashamedly admit is importing and using poor quality and uninspected Chinese ingredients.

By the way, is the food situation better there in England?

heart on fire

The thing of it seems to me is if all these concerns are valid, this stuff in our food didn't start yesturday. It has been going on a while I think and the amounts might be so small that health effects might not start showing up for years. Humans have different livers than dogs and cats.

Tainted Chinese ginger was distributed by Gilroy company
    By Brandon Bailey
    Mercury News
    Article Launched: 07/30/2007 05:50:32 AM PDT

"...State health officials are warning against eating fresh ginger from China that a Gilroy company distributed to Northern California supermarkets in recent weeks. Tests show it was tainted with an unapproved pesticide.

Although no illnesses have been reported, officials warned that samples of the ginger contained residue from aldicarb sulfoxide, a pesticide that can cause nausea, headache and blurred vision when ingested by humans in small amounts. In larger amounts, it can cause dizziness, sweating, vomiting, diarrhea, muscle stiffness and difficulty breathing.

The ginger was purchased from China by a Los Angeles County importer, which sold it to the Christopher Ranch, a Gilroy food distributor. Bill Christopher, owner of the Gilroy firm, said he bought 18,900 pounds of the ginger and repackaged it before selling it to several grocery stores and wholesalers - including Albertson's and Save Mart stores in Northern California.

State health officials found the pesticide residue while conducting random testing of samples from local grocery stores. The California Department of Public Health is working with Christopher Ranch, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, and several county health departments, to determine how widely the product was distributed...."

MBTI
    INXP

Sorry, I forgot this was an international forum. I'm a citizen of the United States of America, and it is our country that I ashamedly admit is importing and using poor quality and uninspected Chinese ingredients.

By the way, is the food situation better there in England?
    That's ok, just somewhere between me reminding you that a world outside the US actually exists, and secondly genuinely me not being sure who you were asking.

As for being sure how it is in England, I don't really know. I tend to just keep buying the same pretty decent quality food and not noticing any ill effects. I tend to avoid the cheaper/value end of the market so that may help. I find I don't have time to track too many "scares" on the basis that there is so much biased material out there that one could easily starve to death by avoiding everything "dangerous".

-Geoff

heart on fire

S I'm a citizen of the United States of America, and it is our country that I ashamedly admit is importing and using poor quality and uninspected Chinese ingredients.
    South Africa apparently imports food stuffs from China as well:

Pet-food poison from SA firm: South Africa: News: News24

Pet-food poison from SA firm
    19/04/2007 16:23 - (SA)

Johannesburg - Tests have confirmed that Vets Choice and Royal Canin dog and cat dry pet-food products contained corn gluten contaminated with melamine, says the manufacturer.

The contaminated corn gluten was delivered to Royal Canin by a South African third-party supplier and appears to have originated from China.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

What about South America? I mean, China isn't the only source of scary food...

In fact, I understand that China is producing so much cheap crap for us that they are depleting their farmers and have to import food to feed themselves from Brazil and other areas of South America. Indirectly, we (as in the wealthier parts of the world that buy from them) are helping in the destruction of the rain forest there by making it lucrative to cut it down, grow crops, sell them to China, and then do it again when the land becomes infertile...

What can you do? There really is no way to be sure of anything anymore... As long as oil is cheap and it's worth shipping stuff across the world's biggest ocean, this won't end.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INFX
    Socionics
    IEI

I originally thought that article said "Talented Chinese Singer" That had me a little confused.

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Everything is made in China except babies, where they are made in va-china
    C#2-C#5-F#5
    3 octaves, 2 notes and 1 semitone
    Supported range: F#2-F#4-C#5