User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Right, but how many of them account for the criminal population and involvement in police incidents in the first place. I think that would be a better indication. That's assuming everyone in the population has the same frequency of being involved in a police incident, which really isn't the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    How much crime do they account for? It's probably more than 29%.
    Actually a better question would be how much police contact do they account for. For example, in the U.S. blacks account for 12.2% of the population, and 13% of drug users, but 38% of those arrested and 59% of those convicted. So the insinuation that they make up a majority of the criminal activity is misleading. They make up a majority of those targeted by law enforcement. Big difference.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    I'd like you to give me examples of cops executing black people (meaning no necessary reason to result to deadly force). Give me something that supports your statement that "it's be unfortunate to be black on the wrong side of a cop gun. I'm sorry but cops don't just surrender their badge and face criminal charges because someone happens to be black.
    Are you not reading? Police report their shooting numbers VOLUNTARILY meaning many don't bother to report. And those that do report only report those deemed justifiable homicide, meaning police shootings are UNDERREPORTED. I could sit here and post dozens of incidents where the police CLAIM to have feared for their lives while the dead person was found unarmed, and since they are DEAD can't really tell their side of the story.

Cops almost never get convicted for these incidents (I can't think of any unless you count Justin Volpe but that was a plungering not a shooting) so your "give me examples" rings hollow, cops kill unarmed people and get away with it as a matter of course.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by kendoiwan View Post
    Actually a better question would be how much police contact do they account for. For example, in the U.S. blacks account for 12.2% of the population, and 13% of drug users, but 38% of those arrested and 59% of those convicted. So the insinuation that they make up a majority of the criminal activity is misleading. They make up a majority of those targeted by law enforcement. Big difference.
    Your previous statistic was for blacks and latinos. Allow me to extrapolate:

Your previous statistic stated that 75% of shootings in NJ were of blacks and latinos. If we were to assume that those are split equally between the two, then 37.5% of shootings were of blacks. In this post, 38% of arrests are of blacks. It appears to me that blacks aren't shot any more often than other races when they're arrested. They might be arrested more often, but that's a different argument.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by kendoiwan View Post
    Are you not reading? Police report their shooting numbers VOLUNTARILY meaning many don't bother to report. And those that do report only report those deemed justifiable homicide, meaning police shootings are UNDERREPORTED. I could sit here and post dozens of incidents where the police CLAIM to have feared for their lives while the dead person was found unarmed, and since they are DEAD can't really tell their side of the story.

Cops almost never get convicted for these incidents (I can't think of any unless you count Justin Volpe but that was a plungering not a shooting) so your "give me examples" rings hollow, cops kill unarmed people and get away with it as a matter of course.
    And you're assuming that there is no justifiable reason to believe someone is armed when they're in actuality not. Sorry dude, but minus rare cases, cops don't anticipate the opportunity to use their weapon. Do you understand how much of a hassle it is, whether justified or not? You're usually suspended, investigated etc. Police work isn't black and white, bro... You work in a hostile environment, things go wrong when every thing seems right and you least expect it... All that to say, It's a totally unpredictable job. Errors are bound to happen and even on a semi-regular basis... To scrap human error into a matter of racial prejudice is absurd.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    They might be arrested more often, but that's a different argument.
    Yes, exactly. This is a possibility and would make for good discussion.

Saying, that things are bound to go wrong if you're black at the barrel of a cop gun is pretty retarded though and that's where this discussion trailed off to. Being any thing at the barrel of any gun spells bad news... White, black, neon, doesn't matter. It's a very close-minded and ignorant statement to make.

MBTI
    enfp

Riots erupt in Oakland after slain father laid to rest - CNN.com

dayam

i guess there was riots too

never heard of a cop shooting and killing an unarmed guy at a saloon or trucker stop. lolz

but yeah, while i completely understand people rioting, why go after shops, and not the actual oakland PD department building or government buildings instead. thats much more direct and effective and gets the bad taste out of your mouth better.

MBTI
    ISTx

Why the hell would you understand if people went after the Oakland PD? First of all, it was BART police which is a different department, but secondly, what error did the department as a whole make?

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    Riots erupt in Oakland after slain father laid to rest - CNN.com

dayam

i guess there was riots too

never heard of a cop shooting and killing an unarmed guy at a saloon or trucker stop. lolz

but yeah, while i completely understand people rioting, why go after shops, and not the actual oakland PD department building or government buildings instead. thats much more direct and effective and gets the bad taste out of your mouth better.
    I was kid in L.A when the Rodney King riots happened. It was crazy. Maybe this will spark a repeat in oakland.

Also, "Can we all get along?"

YouTube - L.A. Riots of 1992: Rodney King speaks

MBTI
    ISTx

My fault, he didn't stand, but he was non compliant when repeatedly told to sit down with his back against the wall.

Better video with no news commentary:
    YouTube - Bart police shoot an unarmed black man.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    Also, Can we just get along?
    Hello, ISFJ.

lol, we're getting along. Just a little discussion. No harm, no foul.