User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

Like I said, considering that articles aren't constructed in a way that puts a person's race and "unarmed and shot by police" when they're white; that makes it a little difficult to google.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    To say that race is not an issue at all here is ridiculous IMO.

P.S. I live here.
    In this incident or just in general for the area?

MBTI
    IsTP

ONE
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Hmm...looking at some of the videos I think it looks like a tragic accident, however I'm not naive enough to think race couldn't have been involved. Why pull your gun when the man is face down, hands above the head? This may be a situation where instinct and training actually led to this accident, instead of preventing it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    In this incident or just in general for the area?
    Well I guess it's impossible to tell what was in the officer's mind at the time, but cops here generally treat black people like shit and use excessive force regularly (not saying this doesn't happen to white people, just not as often). This applies more to not-obviously-rich people I'm sure -- but for low to middle class people in Oakland, black people are clearly treated worse on average than white people.

It's possible that race was not an issue, but think it's significantly less likely that this would have happened with a white person (with all other variables constant). Most people I know would agree (but that doesn't necessarily say much, since people surround themselves with like minds...meh...take it for what you will.)

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Well I guess it's impossible to tell what was in the officer's mind at the time, but cops here generally treat black people like shit and use excessive force regularly (not saying this doesn't happen to white people, just not as often). This applies more to not-obviously-rich people I'm sure -- but for low to middle class people in Oakland, black people are clearly treated worse on average than white people.

It's possible that race was not an issue, but think it's significantly less likely that this would have happened with a white person (with all other variables constant). Most people I know would agree (but that doesn't necessarily say much, since people surround themselves with like minds...meh...take it for what you will.)
    Yeah, this is a good point, and it does look like an accident if you take the officer's reaction to his gun firing as genuine. They all seemed extremely surprised at the event. But you're right, would the officer even be taking his weapon out of the holster if it were a white preppy kid? Impossible to tell I think.

MBTI
    ISTx

I lived in Oakland and it is very much a black city and has a very bad problem with crime, so how is it of surprise that there are going to be black people in conflict with the cops?

There are a good number of black cops on the force as well... Not that that means much.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    would the officer even be taking his weapon out of the holster if it were a white preppy kid? Impossible to tell I think.
    Precisely. No way to know. And that is why this topic of the OP should not be tangled with a race discussion. :steam:

MBTI
    ISTP

Having been in SF, and having made a wrong turn into Oakland before and subsequently being told by the cop I was going to ask directions from basically told me: "The people here are dangerous and you're white, go that way, do not stop under any circumstances until about 10 blocks from here, ignore the road signs/traffic lights". (Of course, the other person in the car with me had a legal concealed carry permit in CA...so I wasn't too concerned).

However, that said a lot about the attitude of the police there in my opinion...since that area, really didn't seem that bad compared to other "bad" places I've been in. It's entirely impossible to tell what that cop was thinking, but I think the reason he had his weapon out is because of a stronger suspicion of him, because of him being black.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    ISTx

^Sounded like sound advice to me.

One of the few times I genuinely felt worried for my safety was when I made a stop off at a gas station in Oakland. I was passing through late at night on the freeway 680. I had a few shady panhandlers watching me and one walk up to me. As I was finishing up this rugged old van with dark tinted windows screeches into the intersection and does a few donuts and then sped off. Oakland is no joke.