User Tag List

First 8161718

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Because kendoiwan's being stupid about this in the first few pages of posts...

Police shoot unarmed man 81 times
    Man shot by Santa Rosa police was unarmed, bipolar - SFGate
    POLICE GUN KILLING IS RULED UNLAWFUL; Unarmed man shot as he left Hackney pub. - Free Online Library

All were white males, shot and killed while unarmed.

I'd just like to point out that, yes, there are cases where some blacks are affected by racist police. It does NOT mean that EVERY SINGLE ACCIDENT EVER is 100% always going to be a black man and never, ever, a white guy.

kendoiwan, yeur comments are ridiculous at best.

There's alot of reasons why people can be shot at by police; it's not easy to get a good view of whether they're armed or not, alot of the time, and sometimes they have to make split second decisions or they will possibly die.

In one of the cases listed, the guy had a flip-flop shoe... another the guy had a table leg. These obviously aren't guns upon any sort of inspection, but when concealed, obscured, and held by someone seemingly acting irrationally, it's not impossible to make these mistakes, and unfortunately, all too easy to make such.

Now, obviously if yeu search for "White unarmed man shot by police", yeu're not going to find much of anything... not because it doesn't happen, but using common sense, if a white man gets shot by police, they don't tend to point out WHITE MAN, they just say "a man was shot".

The whole "it is ALWAYS a case of racism!" gut-jerk reaction is stupid as well. It may have been, it may not have been. Some cases it is, unfortunately, and a larger number than it has any right to be, but it's far from 100% of the time.

Such silly accusations make yeu look bad and hurt any cause yeu stand for, particularly anti-discrimination ideals. Use common sense and some facts to base yeur arguments, not wild accusations against everyone, and very badly flawed and twisted perceptions.

Now, that being said, this's an older thread and I have no idea WHY it was even resurrected in the first place... but this kind of lunacy has seriously got to stop being spouted. Noone will take yeu seriously, nor yeur cause, if yeu keep pulling dumb crap like this. Yeu're shooting yeur own message in the foot... it'd be better off if yeu were supporting racism, because yeu're doing a wonderful job of killing yeur own side.

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    Because kendoiwan's being stupid about this in the first few pages of posts...

Police shoot unarmed man 81 times
    Man shot by Santa Rosa police was unarmed, bipolar - SFGate
    POLICE GUN KILLING IS RULED UNLAWFUL; Unarmed man shot as he left Hackney pub. - Free Online Library

All were white males, shot and killed while unarmed.

I'd just like to point out that, yes, there are cases where some blacks are affected by racist police. It does NOT mean that EVERY SINGLE ACCIDENT EVER is 100% always going to be a black man and never, ever, a white guy.

kendoiwan, yeur comments are ridiculous at best.

There's alot of reasons why people can be shot at by police; it's not easy to get a good view of whether they're armed or not, alot of the time, and sometimes they have to make split second decisions or they will possibly die.

In one of the cases listed, the guy had a flip-flop shoe... another the guy had a table leg. These obviously aren't guns upon any sort of inspection, but when concealed, obscured, and held by someone seemingly acting irrationally, it's not impossible to make these mistakes, and unfortunately, all too easy to make such.

Now, obviously if yeu search for "White unarmed man shot by police", yeu're not going to find much of anything... not because it doesn't happen, but using common sense, if a white man gets shot by police, they don't tend to point out WHITE MAN, they just say "a man was shot".

The whole "it is ALWAYS a case of racism!" gut-jerk reaction is stupid as well. It may have been, it may not have been. Some cases it is, unfortunately, and a larger number than it has any right to be, but it's far from 100% of the time.

Such silly accusations make yeu look bad and hurt any cause yeu stand for, particularly anti-discrimination ideals. Use common sense and some facts to base yeur arguments, not wild accusations against everyone, and very badly flawed and twisted perceptions.

Now, that being said, this's an older thread and I have no idea WHY it was even resurrected in the first place... but this kind of lunacy has seriously got to stop being spouted. Noone will take yeu seriously, nor yeur cause, if yeu keep pulling dumb crap like this. Yeu're shooting yeur own message in the foot... it'd be better off if yeu were supporting racism, because yeu're doing a wonderful job of killing yeur own side.
    A: The man in the first video was black.
    B: The second link was a guy who's wife called the cops reporting he was shooting at the ceiling, and subsequently attacked them. The guy in the 3rd link was reported to be a terrorist although it turned out to be a false report. Your "examples" are completely incomparable with the situations I mentioned such as the OP who was already subdued at the time he was shot, or Amadu Diallo who had the misfortune of reaching for his wallet, or Sean Bell who had the misfortune of deciding to celebrate his impending marriage, etc...
    C: Spell Check awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Edit: I was livid at the police shooting of an unarmed man until I found out he was a twice convicted felon (with one conviction after the birth of his daughter). Mr. Grant was presented as a nonviolent family man in the coverage following the shooting (shown in pictures with his daughter), but seems more like a troublemaker who didn't put his daughter's best interests first. I am in no way condoning the conduct of Mr. Mehserle, but I think in this situation 2nd degree murder isn't the appropriate sentence. My best guess would be a conviction of voluntary/involuntary manslaughter, depending upon whether or not the jury believes Mr. Mehserle intended to kill Mr. Grant.
    A: at the time he was shot the officer in question had no knowledge of his prior record and said record is therefore is irrelevant to the shooting.
    B: at the time he was shot he was subdued by another officer and posing no threat to them.
    C: at the time he was shot he wasn't doing anything against the law.
    Last edited by kendoiwan; 07-13-2010 at 08:40 PM.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

MBTI
    ISTx

Well here we are a year and a half later:

The jury had a choice between murder and lesser charges of voluntary and involuntary manslaughter. The jury found that Mehserle didn't mean to kill Grant, but that his behavior was still so negligent that it was criminal.
    MEHSERLE CONVICTED OF INVOLUNTARY MANSLAUGHTER - cbs5.com

I think the verdict is just. What a bad, unfortunate situation. I watched the video again (a year and a half later) of the incident. It's chilling.

For those that never saw the video footage taken from an onlooker's cell phone camera:
    [YOUTUBE="ZKKQ-gzc_Yw"].[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    FREE

Quote Originally Posted by Johannes Mehserle
    I don't know what the jury in this case is going to decide, but I hope those who hate me and those who understand that I never intended to shoot Oscar Grant will listen to this message.

I have and will continue to live everyday of my life knowing that Mr. Grant should not have been shot. I know a daughter has lost a father and a mother has lost a son. It saddens me knowing that my actions cost Mr. Grant his life, no words express how truly sorry I am.

I hoped to talk to Ms. Johnson (Wanda Johnson, Grant's mother) and Ms. Mesa (Sophina Mesa, Grant's girlfriend and the mother of his daughter) in the days following this terrible event, but death threats toward my newly-born son, my friends and family resulted in no communication occurring. I hope the day will come when anger will give way to dialogue.

For now, and forever I will live, breathe, sleep, and not sleep with the memory of Mr. Grant screaming "You shot me" and putting my hands on the bullet wound thinking the pressure would help while I kept telling him "You'll be okay!" I tried to tell myself that maybe this shot would not be so serious, but I recall how sick I felt when Mr. Grant stopped talking, closed his eyes and seemed to change his breathing.

I don't expect that I can ever convince some individuals how sorry I am for the death of Mr. Grant, but I would not feel right if I didn't explain my thoughts as I wait for a decision of the jury.

Johannes Mehserle

7-4-2010
    Thoughts?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ISTx

It was an accident in which he feels bad about. Looks like a sincere statement of apology and remorse. It's clear that it was a dire mistake when looking at the video footage.

If it was evident that it was an execution and he tried to issue this apology, I'd disregard it in a heart beat.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by dga View Post
    What exactly is "black culture?"
    Yeah--what is that?

Unfortunately, I've been harassed by the police. "You're following that car too closely. Are these your children--they don't look like yours..." So has my partner. On his way home from work at 3 a.m. (this was almost a weekly event) "Where are you going at this hour? Don't you know what time it is? You need to go straight home."

When you are a POC, it's just going to happen. I'm not saying every incident and every shooting is racially motivated. How can that be measured or tested?

But I'm sorry, people have preconceived notions based on someone's race and appearance--that stuff doesn't get turned off when they are out patrolling, treating patients, waiting on customers...you get the idea. And I don't think it is a matter of "I fucking hate n******"; it's a whole lot more subtle than that. More like this:

Aversive racism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oops, I forgot to add--I am unable to come to any conclusion about what happened in this incident. It's just sad all the way around. One dead, another in prison, and a lot of people hurt, angry, and looking for a way to discharge it.

Doesn't a gun weigh a lot more than a taser?

MBTI
    ISTx

It might not be your race, but your automobile that raises an eyebrow by law enforcement.

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post

When you are a POC, it's just going to happen. I'm not saying every incident and every shooting is racially motivated. How can that be measured or tested?
    How about comparative statistics?
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"