User Tag List

First 51314151617 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by dga View Post
    riots tend to only occur to societal oppressed populations of significant size
    So they get a lot of riots in the Bay Area, because stupid, lazy under-24s are being "oppressed" from having the world handed to them when they reach adulthood. Got it.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    So they get a lot of riots in the Bay Area, because stupid, lazy under-24s are being "oppressed" from having the world handed to them when they reach adulthood. Got it.
    right, inner city youth are so spoiled.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

right, inner city youth are so spoiled.
    Oppressed from, not oppressed by.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Oppressed from, not oppressed by.
    oh yeah, jim crow, suburban white flight, shitty schools, cia's crack, gentrification, etc, none of that is done by society at large.

MBTI
    ENTP

btw, what is "black culture?" Forget about PC, that jsut sounds blatantly racist.

Are you blatantly racist?

MBTI
    INFP

No, there were no riots, Lateralus. I think most people shrugged it off thinking the guy was crazy to resist. A pity, but we're still backwards enough around here to think it's intelligent to not cross an aggitated police officer.

The only riot we had where kids were overturning cop cars was a couple years ago when a whole mess of oppressed college kids were partying at Homecoming. That'll probably oppress them further by not allowing so much partying at Homecoming time. Spose they could riot over that, too.

Had to call out troops from all over the place.

I'm regretting the use of the words "Black Culture." I was trying to avoid the inclusionary word Black (in general) since I know a few Black people who are genuinely cultured and sensible. Wish I knew more but there aren't many around here.

I dunno. Try "Popular Black Culture." Too bad it isn't more cultured, but as in most "popular things," it isn't. We have our share of White kids here who try to emulate rappers, ganstas and playas. They call them "Wiggers." (But I think White people are the only ones allowed to use that word. Heh.)

I wish I'd put the previous posts on a separate thread but will offer more if someone starts one.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP

What happened was I started reading "The Root" last year and saw some voices of reason which gave me courage to speak honestly about this stuff.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

heart on fire

What exactly is "black culture?"
    I always thought it was something like this.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In general:

I think the term being sought here is maybe "Gang Culture" which would describe what people are trying to say without making it race specific or needing to create extra qualifers like "Wigger" or whatever.

Crime is rising in my area too. I tend to see it as an outgrowth of the continuing faltering economy.

Contrary to what the media hype says, the economy has been sliding for a long time, it didn't just happen the moment Bush made his public announcement on it. I know so many people affected. People not so much unemployeed as under-employed and then kicked down from there. Extrapolate that through society. We're living in a time of unsettled reorganization. Any study of history shows that is going to cause crime and disorderliness. Problems are complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    I wish I'd put the previous posts on a separate thread but will offer more if someone starts one.
    On what topic specifically?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

btw, what is "black culture?" Forget about PC, that jsut sounds blatantly racist.

Are you blatantly racist?
    Heh, I knew someone would react this way, all offended. I'd say more, but I'd probably get an infraction.

If culture was easily defined, I would answer your question, but I don't like making long posts. I have my own ideas on the subject.

I see absentee fathers and victimization as self destructive.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Banned
    MBTI
    type

oh yeah, jim crow, suburban white flight, shitty schools, cia's crack, gentrification, etc, none of that is done by society at large.
    Oh, are we talking about black kids? White kids are upset because they don't become rock stars or live in a utopian, communist society, and black kids are pissed because they aren't pro rappers or basketball players.

It's basically the same thing: A sense of entitlement.