User Tag List

First 41213141516 Last

Results 131 to 140 of 179

  1. #131
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    I'd like to add to my comments on the situation, after my client and I were talking about it today. He had not seen the video, but asked a very good question. Were other officers still holding the man down during the shooting. The answer is no. If you taze someone and others are touching the person, they will get tazed too. However when you see the video, both officers released the man at the same time while officer one was reaching for his weapon, after the man on the floor was alone, then he was shot.


    This sort of really backs up the idea that the call was made that the officer planned to taze then the two officers synchronized their movements.
    I see that they backed up too but that's just because it's a common sense thing to do when a perp is going to be tazed. However, apparently a person touching someone who has received the shock won't feel it as well.

    From one of my posts I made earlier in the thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Taken from another forum (post made by a law enforcement officer) from discussion on the same subject:


    with the new generation of tasers, pretty much the only time you will get bit, is if you touch the suspect in between where the probes have hit.....while the weapon is in its 5 second cycle......

    So, if the probes are in the suspects back or chest and you have ahold of his arm, you will not get zapped too.....
    To me, from seeing the video, it's very clear that the reaction the officer makes after firing the gun is one of "wow, wtf...".

  2. #132
    ThatGirl
    Guest

    Default

    Doesn't change protocol for synchronizing command.

  3. #133
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    ^Right... I'm just stating that that's not true what you said about touching someone getting tazed, will in turn get you tazed.

  4. #134
    Senior Member Anja's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    2,967

    Default

    Laughing at myself. I think I failed to see the bigger picture and let my personal issues take over there. Arg. Glad to see the conversation back on track.

    I'll add that, contrary to popular belief, tasing someone does not always mean they will become submissive. In nearly all cases it'll drop a creature larger than a human. But in rare cases for whatever reason, adreneline, stimulants, failure of the gun, some people can continue to be resistant.

    Our local police officers found that out when they repeatedly tased a man (White, by the way) this last year and managed to kill him.

    A bit of info beside the line of thought here but interesting, I think.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

  5. #135
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    ^Right... I'm just stating that that's not true what you said about touching someone getting tazed, will in turn get you tazed.
    They likely just don't want to accidentally get hit by the Taser shot. Good practice, since they might have accidentally got hit by a .40 S&W in this case.

  6. #136
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Yep, like I said it makes complete common sense to back up when someone is getting tased, but that's not because touching the person will get you shocked. I'll back up if anything is shot in my direction... minus candy canes and jelly beans.

  7. #137
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Our local police officers found that out when they repeatedly tased a man (White, by the way) this last year and managed to kill him.
    Were there riots?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  8. #138
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    It doesn't seem wise to me for anyone to overlook that fact. There is a problem with violence in the Black culture. Rather than explaining or rationalizing it, an honest look at admitting it and asking what we can do to prevent it is a more useful direction to take.
    Yeah, it's not PC to talk badly about other cultures, but not all cultures are created equal and black culture is largely self destructive. It's no wonder most people don't want to be around it.

    Here in the Midwest we have a large influx of people of color moving out of the inner cities to try to find a place to raise their children away from the life-threatening crime. Most of them in my town are moms and grandmas and aunts trying to protect the next generation of Black Americans.

    It appears to me that many baby daddys, whom these women are trying to separate themselves from trail in their wake bringing their violence along with them.

    My neighbors. We've picnicked together, traded recipes, nurtured kids and then "the gangstas" show up and people flee to their homes.

    A person was stabbed, thrown in the street and lit on fire, a funeral was disrupted by violent relatives coming to town, drug use is on the rise, panhandling on the streets, gunshots at night. All these things were foreign to my neighborhood before people began seeking refuge here.

    I can only speak from personal experience but I have seen firsthand the serious problem that Black people are having with violence and it doesn't bode well for the children. And I've only seen a small bit of what some live with for generations.

    I'd like to see Black men, as a group, start staying at home, put their first loyalty to the children they are birthing and provide some stability for their youth. And I'd like to see other Black men start holding their own young men accountable instead of making excuses for them.

    Am I prejudiced? Yes. I am prejudiced against anyone, male, female, White, Black who refuses to live a decent life when given the opportunity and who brings his mess into my space.
    The excuses are rampant and very few take personal responsibility.

    Ending the drug war would help. If gangs can't make money selling drugs, much of the allure of joining a gang would be lost.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  9. #139
    Senior Member dga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Were there riots?
    riots tend to only occur to societal oppressed populations of significant size

  10. #140
    Senior Member dga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Yeah, it's not PC to talk badly about other cultures, but not all cultures are created equal and black culture is largely self destructive. It's no wonder most people don't want to be around it.
    What exactly is "black culture?"

Similar Threads

  1. Police shoot & kill wrong man at wrong address because he answered the door armed
    By iwakar in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 07-18-2012, 06:13 PM
  2. Yet ANOTHER police shooting on New Years eve
    By kendoiwan in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-14-2009, 08:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO