User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Well, and then just as in the general population, we have our rogue cops, too. Doesn't help a lot.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Really? If you watched the tape it's clear he wasn't compliant otherwise he would have been cuffed without struggle. If there is struggle it is in complete right to taser. Though you can't prove it I'd guarantee that were tasing what was intended, he was given clear warning.

Subduing a struggling perp is exactly what the taser is designed for.
    what happens to the officers in direct contact with the person being tased? I ask this out of pure curiosity, as electricity normal conducts through skin, which would imapct teh shooters partners, too.

MBTI
    ISTx

Negative.

MBTI
    ISTx

Actually I'm not certain on that. :p

MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Right and there's absolutely no conclusive evidence suggesting that the officer meant to fire a pistol at him. If that conclusion were to be reached through investigation, I'd still have a hard time assuming it was merely because he was a black guy . Some sort of mental illness, likely.
    i wouldn't wait for an investigation, esp. if i was an oakland native, i mean, the entire black panther's history and all, terror by the police, etc... etc... i mean, it would be pretty different to have grown up there. im sure its like the mccoys and hatfields, whatever that fued is wherever its at.

its much easier to riot bc u can see the video tape and first person accounts of others who were there.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by dga View Post
    if he actually did run, he ran from 4 guys not dressed in uniform wanting him for something in the dark of night. How do you react to 4 unidentified or unverifiable aggressive guys at night?

If the case was so cut and dry, there would nto have been a multimillion dollar wrongful death settlement, and the patrol division would not have been disbanded.

41 times, was he shot. I understand procedure is not to shoot to injure, but someone had to reload.
    I don't like how they handled it. But from the frame of mind of the cops, he acted guilty. I can understand their position and have a hard time believing they shot him because he was black.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    enfp

man... watching this seriously brings me back...

magic and the lakers, transformers, pool halls... etc... etc... haha

man, i miss those old school 80's and 90's broadcasters... their cadence, etc... smooth and chill...

now all i see are these annoying espn broadcasters talking like evil crack heads.

there's some pretty crazy footage of the riots on youtube...

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by dga View Post
    what happens to the officers in direct contact with the person being tased? I ask this out of pure curiosity, as electricity normal conducts through skin, which would imapct teh shooters partners, too.
    Taken from another forum (post made by a law enforcement officer) from discussion on the same subject:

with the new generation of tasers, pretty much the only time you will get bit, is if you touch the suspect in between where the probes have hit.....while the weapon is in its 5 second cycle......

So, if the probes are in the suspects back or chest and you have ahold of his arm, you will not get zapped too.....
    _______

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    What I know is that the entire incident is not on tape, only the most inflammatory part.

That article states that no meaningful conclusions can be drawn. My previous statement was based on statistics that you provided, which, having been refuted, you're now trying to claim are invalid. You're just picking and choosing statistics that support your argument. There's a term for that, confirmation bias.
    Why do you insist on putting words in my mouth? Can you read? For the 3rd time, I NEVER SAID HE WAS SHOT BECAUSE HE WAS BLACK, NEVERTHELESS IT IS A STATISTICAL FACT A BLACK MALE IN THE U.S. IS MORE LIKELY THAN ANYONE ELSE TO BE SHOT BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER AND UNARMED AT THE TIME the best numbers available to me short of conducting a national study say 4:1 as of 1998 FACT, i.e. my original statement "sucks to be black at the wrong end of a cop gun" If someone has a bias here it's you, as you refuse to accept what it is that I'm saying.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I don't like how they handled it. But from the frame of mind of the cops, he acted guilty. I can understand their position and have a hard time believing they shot him because he was black.
    They were looking for a rapist and shot an innocent man 41 times. I dont know if the actual rapist looked anything like him, but they fucked up so hard i have to think there was at least a lil prejudice.

Black cops have also been heavy handed agasint otehr blacks. Is it difficult to accept that society might be in fact biased, and that those who are employed to uphold society might be trained with that bias?