User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Get your plastic bucket hat on, Edgar. This calls for the very best armor.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I still can't totally get behind a country with a state religion, but it's nice to see that Israel is quite good on sexual rights.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RjnvQHWyLE"][YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RjnvQHWyLE"][/YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE].

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M539PgDjbas"][YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M539PgDjbas"][/YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I still can't totally get behind a country with a state religion, but it's nice to see that Israel is quite good on sexual rights.
    Most of the most sexually liberal countries, North and Western European ones, have state religions, they just aren't taken very seriously by many people and don't have much actual power. All they really get are tax breaks and some free advertising and that seems to keep them fairly sedate.

Riva

I don't know why same sex marriages should be banned in any nation, unless for religious reasons.
    Funny how it is not allowed here in Sri Lanka. It's a predominantly Buddhist nation and in Buddhism Homosexuality is not illegal nor a sin.

Ps -
    It should be noted that Buddhism has a different definition of sin than most religions.

Riva

Ps - I ain't gay.

Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Also, the bulk of opposition to the parades are usually from the Muslim and orthodox sects of Judaism. Israel is surrounded by countries that kill and torture those that are gay. Of course, Arabs and Muslims made a stink about it.
    'Surrounded' is too strong. Israel's neighbour Lebanon, which is mostly Arab, and these days mostly Muslim as well, has similar laws about these things. Same-sex marriages from overseas are recognised and theoretically homosexuals could marry on Lebanese soil too, as it's left to the religious authorities to decide their own rules. In general, not just regarding gay rights, I'd say Lebanon's laws are more progressive than Israel's laws.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    'Surrounded' is too strong. Israel's neighbour Lebanon, which is mostly Arab, and these days mostly Muslim as well, has similar laws about these things. Same-sex marriages from overseas are recognised and theoretically homosexuals could marry on Lebanese soil too, as it's left to the religious authorities to decide their own rules. In general, not just regarding gay rights, I'd say Lebanon's laws are more progressive than Israel's laws.
    Yes, I'm sure fags are allowed to prance around merrily with Hezbollah running the show.

Gtfo town, man.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Yes, I'm sure fags are allowed to prounce around merrily with Hezbollah running the show.
    Hezbollah don't run many of Lebanon's gay bars and nightclubs, oddly enough.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    Most of the most sexually liberal countries, North and Western European ones, have state religions, they just aren't taken very seriously by many people and don't have much actual power. All they really get are tax breaks and some free advertising and that seems to keep them fairly sedate.

It's the principle of the thing. That's also why I can't completely get behind countries that still have monarchies, no matter how enervated they may be. I loved England when I visited, but the whole non-republic thing would make me loath to live there permanently.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"