User Tag List

12311 Last

Sniffles

Default Cops: Dad Killed Son Over Child Support

This is just disgusting:
    Cops: Dad Killed Son Over Child Support

NEW ORLEANS, Jan. 3, 2009
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (AP) A man who initially told police gunmen kidnapped his 2-year-old son was arrested Saturday, accused of committing an "extremely hideous" murder because he was ordered to pay child support, Police Superintendent Warren Riley said.

Danny Platt confessed, told police where to find the child's body and has been booked on a charge of first-degree murder in the death of Ja' Shawn Powell, police said.

"He had said he would kill either his wife or his child before he paid child support," which he recently had been ordered to do, Riley said.

Riley said he did not know the amount of child support and would not describe how the boy was killed, saying the coroner would do that after the autopsy was complete. The coroner's spokesman did not immediately return a call.

"The mother is in a safe place," Riley said.

Although he had visiting rights, Platt, 22, of New Orleans, had never visited the boy until he picked him up Friday, Riley said.

Police put out a notice Saturday asking people to look for the boy and saying his father had told them three men with dreadlocks and AK-47 rifles had piled out of an SUV and kidnapped Ja' Shawn shortly before midnight Friday.

"His story never really added up," Riley said. "He was a suspect from the very beginning."

Riley said Platt eventually confessed and told officers where to find the body.

Police spokesman officer Janssen Valencia said he did not know if Platt has an attorney.

Platt had only a couple of "very minor" previous arrests, Riley said.

"How does an individual - because he's ordered to pay child support to take care of a kid ... believe that this is so much pressure that he would face - he would do this hideous act to his own child, or to any child, and think that is a remedy to paying child support?" Riley said. "I mean there are some sick individuals in this society, and this gentleman is clearly one."

Cops: Dad Killed Son Over Child Support, Man Accused Of Murdering Toddler To Avoid Paying; Earlier Claimed He Had Been Kidnapped - CBS News

MBTI
    ENFj

THAT is one sick bastard. Life in jail I hope.
    ENFJ 3W4

If you read this I am sorry to say that you just lost 5 seconds of your life that you wont be getting back.*

*Actual time may vary.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Third Rider View Post
    THAT is one sick bastard. Life in jail I hope.
    Not death sentence? Just curious, usually that's the first reaction to a crime like this.

MBTI
    GONE

I wonder if he has any mental issues or where society, his family, etc. failed him. Does he just have absolutely no sense of right and wrong? No empathy?
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    I wonder if he has any mental issues or where society, his family, etc. failed him. Does he just have absolutely no sense of right and wrong? No empathy?
    Sometimes self-interest (or hatred for the mother perhaps) overrides any lesser sense of empathy one might possess...

It's hard to tell without more information.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

If he's capable of killing his own child, he's probably capable of killing again. I don't think that assumption requires much of a leap. That makes him too dangerous to be of any use to society, other than as raw material.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTP

Wow, absolutely disgusting. What kills me is how these folks end up getting married in the first place. You can't tell me this guy wasn't a primo douchebag from the beginning.

This happened in my home state--believe me, he'll pay. Louisiana folk will want to see him fry for killing a toddler.
    Something Witty

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I don't believe in the death penalty.

Just like Santa.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Wow, absolutely disgusting. What kills me is how these folks end up getting married in the first place. You can't tell me this guy wasn't a primo douchebag from the beginning.
    True. And what mother leaves her son alone with a man that has never seen him since he was born. . . especially if she knew that he had made previous threats?

If I were the dad, I think attempting to rob a bank to get the money sounds a bit more sane then killing my own son.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    True. And what mother leaves her son alone with a man that has never seen him since he was born. . . especially if she knew that he had made previous threats?
    He did have visitation rights... I'm not sure she had a lot of choice, in the big picture (in hindsight, better to have not given the dad a chance, but not an easy call in advance.)

If I were the dad, I think attempting to rob a bank to get the money sounds a bit more sane then killing my own son.
    Funny enough, I disagree. I imagine the concept of paying for his kid took on a life of it's own... a sort of moral outrage against some unfairness. He didn't do it for practical reasons, I'm pretty sure.