User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I think that was said tongue-in-cheek.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTJ

Punish him in a medieval style.
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^

Junior Member Magia Erebea User's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4W5

Hanged, drawn and quartered perhaps?

MBTI
    ENTJ

Something like that.
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I don't believe all lives have equal value. That may be where we disagree philosophically.
    The disagreement is that your stance requires to evaluate a human life to below-break even, giving it a fuzzy <0 valuation. I'm sure we agree that handing society that kind of power (ie: power over life and death) needs limits and carries an inherent cost, but that means that you believe that his life is actually negative above that point.

I strongly disagree, even if I was only evaluating the cost of that balance of power.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

His life holds almost no value for society. Why let your personal distaste for a particular reaction get in the way of the most practical course of action?
    What about very old/disabled people? Are they not in the same position?

Without personal distaste, the man has done nothing wrong. Let alone value and practicality are both very personal things.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    What about very old/disabled people? Are they not in the same position?

Without personal distaste, the man has done nothing wrong. Let alone value and practicality are both very personal things.
    Why are you comparing non-violent old people to someone who has proven he is a danger to society?

Are you saying that killing your own child isn't wrong? I suppose you could somehow make a philosophical argument, but society would have a difficult time functioning if infanticide was allowed.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Why are you comparing non-violent old people to someone who has proven he is a danger to society?
    Both can easily be seen as having little value to society. They both often are. Especially the paralyzed, the demented and the violent psychotics.

Are you saying that killing your own child isn't wrong? I suppose you could somehow make a philosophical argument, but society would have a difficult time functioning if infanticide was allowed.
    I'm saying that it's a mass of personal values that suggest killing a child is anything other than a neutral act. You said personal distaste should not get in the way of the most practical course of action, I am saying that personal distaste is why it is the most practical course of action in the first place.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

This sort of thing makes my stomach roll.. A terrible thing I feel like I must know, but afterwards would rather I didn't.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    This really isn't an unusual situation at all. Only extreme in it's solution to the problem. Thousand of dads figure out ways to avoid child support payments.

At least this dad isn't leaving a child behind to grow up warped/deprived.

Before the Masculinists jump in to say, "Yeah, but so do mothers." I'll answer. "Yeah, I know. But in this case it's a father." Which it generally is.
    True. It's astounding to me what people will do to avoid paying or seeing their own children. But they do all the time. The courts just do less to enforce when it's the mother.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.