MBTI
    INxJ

Unfortunate situation. Truly.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

My beef with the death penalty is that it is too much power. Come on Lateralus, you're afraid of a government redistributing wealth, but you'll let the justice system choose life and death?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Arbitrary numbers to work better? And who gets to decide what the arbitrary number is?

I prefer cost benefit analysis. This particular individual is high risk. Unless he's some sort of miracle healer, he's not worth keeping around.
    That's the point. You are assigning a number, it's just fuzzier than the risk-measurement way that economists do for large scale planning.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think he's guilty of murder. He should be treated accordingly. The child support and the fact that it was his child just don't matter now. That part is rhetoric to make people emotional, and I'm not falling for it.

What happened here is a man killed a child intentionally. That's all that needs to be said. Nothing else matters.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    My beef with the death penalty is that it is too much power. Come on Lateralus, you're afraid of a government redistributing wealth, but you'll let the justice system choose life and death?
    If we gave the government the same level of power over who lives and dies that they've taken with our money, I'd be protesting that as well. Thankfully, we've kept this power very restricted. I'm not an anarchist.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    That's the point. You are assigning a number, it's just fuzzier than the risk-measurement way that economists do for large scale planning.
    I don't believe all lives have equal value. That may be where we disagree philosophically.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFP

This really isn't an unusual situation at all. Only extreme in it's solution to the problem. Thousand of dads figure out ways to avoid child support payments.

At least this dad isn't leaving a child behind to grow up warped/deprived.

Before the Masculinists jump in to say, "Yeah, but so do mothers." I'll answer. "Yeah, I know. But in this case it's a father." Which it generally is.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    This really isn't an unusual situation at all. Only extreme in it's solution to the problem. Thousand of dads figure out ways to avoid child support payments.

Before the Masculinists jump in to say, "Yeah, but so do mothers." I'll answer. "Yeah, I know. But in this case it's a father." Which it generally is.
    SDMF

MBTI
    ENFj

Quote Originally Posted by Hexis View Post

Life in jail means he gets to live a better life than the one he probably had outside. He will go in, have a roof over his head, 3 squares meals a day, better medical attention than most can afford, and a rigorous but healthy exercise routine. And all that with my tax dollars, NO I SAY CASTRATION IT IS!

On the up side other inmates would probably beat him to death if they found out what he did, which is inevitable. But if he survives than that great medical attention I was talking about will revive him free of charge and then just put him in solitary confinement so they couldnt try again. Yeah definitely for castration.

You make sound A LOT nicer than it really is, my uncle was in jail for 4 years and he would HEAVELY disagree with your assessment. Believe me I am sure that the inmates would let him have it for what he did. Death is too quick he needs some torture.
    ENFJ 3W4

If you read this I am sorry to say that you just lost 5 seconds of your life that you wont be getting back.*

*Actual time may vary.

Junior Member Magia Erebea User's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4W5

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Okay, maybe just maybe I'm reading this wrong. But if not it sounds like you're saying that it's better the kid dies then (GOD FORBID!!!) get a tiny amount of muck on him?

If that is true, you are either a troll or perhaps the stupidest individual I've ever have the displeasure of meeting. And quiet emo at that.

So if you happen across a kid learning to ride a bike and you see him fall over and scrape his knee, do you take him into the backyard and handle him like Old Yeller?

-----------------------------------

This is one of those incidents were I think things would be remedied best with the Death Penalty.