User Tag List

First 345

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

What is the average yearly income for these same sample groups of conservatives and liberals? There is a high percentage of working class people who vote democratic. Many of these people are low income. What is the percentage of income that each demographic are giving to charity? Are the lower income people donating more time rather than money?

I'm guessing this topic is a bit more complicated than they are making it out to be. Unlike the author of the article, I don't suspect liberals or conservatives to be more "genuinely concerned" by nature just because of their political views. Speaking passionately about helping the impoverished might be inspired by having a grandmother who can't afford prescription drugs, or having children you can't feed, etc. People are most interested in what affects their lives personally.

I don't care much whether conservatives or liberals "look" better at Christmas or whatever, but it does annoy me when people who barely scrape by to eat and stay warm (inconsistently I might add), are criticized for not donating to charity like the upper middle class folks who hold their Christmas parties with their little sausages and snacks, with beautiful sweaters, tinsel everywhere bragging about how charitable they are and how stingy poor people are.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    What is the average yearly income for these same sample groups of conservatives and liberals? There is a high percentage of working class people who vote democratic. Many of these people are low income. What is the percentage of income that each demographic are giving to charity? Are the lower income people donating more time rather than money?
    +1

The way the author of the article carried out his statistical analysis seems to be extremely shallow. Any econometrician would be horrified by those conclusions.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Sounds like some wishful thinking to me. Nearly all the individual "democrats" I've heard the political ramblings of are motivated by selfishness, not concern for those less fortunate. They want the gov't to take care of them.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Sounds like some wishful thinking to me. Nearly all the individual "democrats" I've heard the political ramblings of are motivated by selfishness, not concern for those less fortunate. They want the gov't to take care of them.
    Ahh, okay... Now
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Ahh, okay... Now
    Bullshit. Countering a hypothesis with observational accounts is not a fucking straw man.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Bullshit. Countering a hypothesis with observational accounts is not a fucking straw man.
    Wooooaaaaaah, cool down there.

You're kind of painting Democrats in what seems to me in an unreasonably negative light, that obviously destorts their position. Are they really people just scheming to making the government help them at the expense of others? I don't think they are all, or even largely comprised of, pro-government versions of Ebenezer Scrooge.

At least I give my opponents the credit that they all probably have good intentions. They just don't know what they are doing. Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to incompetence. Never mind that there are factors even outside of incompetence, that I've already noted.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Wooooaaaaaah, cool down there.
    Try a rational argument then.

You're kind of painting Democrats in what seems to me in an unreasonably negative light, that obviously destorts their position. Are they really people just scheming to making the government help them at the expense of others?
    Fundamentally, yes. More people act out of self interest than other motives, and it only makes sense that those who want institutional financial assistance would favor the party who advocates it.

At least I give my opponents the credit that they all probably have good intentions.
    Politicians generally do have good intentions, but the public is another issue. As I said, most regular folks are basically looking out for themselves and their families far above all else.