User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should civilians be permitted to own guns?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO! Guns are EVIL and serve no good purpose.

    21 15.67%
  • YES! Guns are USEFUL and are nice to have when you need them.

    79 58.96%
  • Maybe... I wouldn't own one, but I don't mind if you do.

    30 22.39%
  • What's a gun?

    4 2.99%
First 3456715 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 527

  1. #41
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    The people to fear don't give a flying fuck what the law says. Gun bans only serve to make law abiding citizens easier targets. Gun bans don't reduce the availability of guns for criminals.
    Compare gun crime per capita in the states versus the UK. That argument just doesn't hold water.... you could say it's shot full of holes!!

    (I know... I'm too good for this place...)
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  2. #42
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Quite true, good sir... then THEY should be hunted down like varmit and sent off to the Pen to make license plates for a good while
    So being able to spell doesn't necessarily mean you're allowed to have a gun and shoot whomever you like?

    It'll never fly in Texas...
    I've always used a .22 on squirrels while growing up- and on rabbits too!
    .22LR or air?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  3. #43
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    No, because the threat of a gun is much greater than the threat of a bean bag.
    And then if all the criminals get armour you can go buy teflon coated ammo... and then penetrators... and then high explosives....

    You want to scare someone or stop someone? Make your mind up... It sounds too much like control issues to me.

    Edit-
    With non lethal weaponry you can fire sooner, panic less and actually do more. With lethal responses you hesitate more and that ain't scary it's just plain stupid.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  4. #44
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Compare gun crime per capita in the states versus the UK. That argument just doesn't hold water.... you could say it's shot full of holes!!

    (I know... I'm too good for this place...)
    The US already has far too many guns in circulation to make a gun ban a viable option. If it were actually possible to destroy all existing guns with a ban, you might have a point. Good luck with that.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  5. #45
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    So being able to spell doesn't necessarily mean you're allowed to have a gun and shoot whomever you like?

    It'll never fly in Texas...

    .22LR or air?
    Well, at least I didn't say that you have to have all of your front teeth to own a gun

    .22LR... it's what was behind the door of the house for in case a stray got into the sheep!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  6. #46
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    And then if all the criminals get armour you can go buy teflon coated ammo... and then penetrators... and then high explosives....

    You want to scare someone or stop someone? Make your mind up... It sounds too much like control issues to me.

    Edit-
    With non lethal weaponry you can fire sooner, panic less and actually do more. With lethal responses you hesitate more and that ain't scary it's just plain stupid.
    If body armor was as proliferated as guns, you might have a point.

    I don't know where you came up with the information in your edit. Have studies been performed proving this to be the case?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  7. #47
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    The US already has far too many guns in circulation to make a gun ban a viable option. If it were actually possible to destroy all existing guns with a ban, you might have a point. Good luck with that.
    *psst*
    There are other places in the world... a region was not implicit to the discussion...

    True though. So why make it worse? Stop selling them today.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  8. #48
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Well, at least I didn't say that you have to have all of your front teeth to own a gun
    Thought that was Alabama state law?


    .22LR... it's what was behind the door of the house for in case a stray got into the sheep!
    Stray bullet? Stray squirrel?

    Man you guys are vicious!!
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  9. #49
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Thought that was Alabama state law?

    no... that's that you can't marry the same cousin twice :rolli:

    Stray bullet? Stray squirrel?

    Man you guys are vicious!!
    stray dog, and you don't need to shoot them, just shoot over thier head and the sound scares them into leaving the sheep alone and going home... common rural practice actually!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  10. #50
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    If body armor was as proliferated as guns, you might have a point.

    I don't know where you came up with the information in your edit. Have studies been performed proving this to be the case?
    Information? What??? We're proving stuff now? Wow I thought this was all smoke and mirrors... Hmm let me extract the relevant part of people's brains a minute....

    As for armour versus guns, it's the oldest race in the book. How do you think you ended up with a gun? Why was armour invented? Why did they think of kevlar etc etc..

    Plus isn't it true that for a while in New York there was a fashion of kevlar puffer jackets?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Similar Threads

  1. [NF] Quote Thread: Express your feelings or thoughts with a quote
    By Sparrow in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 412
    Last Post: 12-03-2017, 12:20 AM
  2. The Random Movie Quote Thread
    By asynartetic in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 220
    Last Post: 12-02-2017, 10:31 PM
  3. Your self-perception vs the way you are perceived by others?
    By Verona in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 07-22-2017, 11:13 AM
  4. Random Quote Thread
    By Queen Kat in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-12-2011, 09:51 AM
  5. Long - the quotes of lovable larrikin, Nobel physicist Richard Feynman
    By InsatiableCuriosity in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-02-2010, 11:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO