User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should civilians be permitted to own guns?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO! Guns are EVIL and serve no good purpose.

21 15.67%
  • YES! Guns are USEFUL and are nice to have when you need them.

79 58.96%
  • Maybe... I wouldn't own one, but I don't mind if you do.

30 22.39%
  • What's a gun?

4 2.99%
First 384647484950 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    I think the documentary is on YouTube. They somehow smuggled steel tipped ammunition in from Romania and handmade custom bullet-proof suits or something. So the bullets went right through vehicles, concrete etc and the police couldn't hit them with their crappy 9mm/shotguns.

I hear California is the bank robbing capital of the US despite having among the strictest laws.

Those guys got hit A LOT before they finally went down. IIRC, it was after they ditched the armor so they could run.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    I hear California is the bank robbing capital of the US despite having among the strictest laws.

Hmmm... yes, interesting isn't it?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by RinconSB View Post

Hmmm... yes, interesting isn't it?
    Interesting indeed.

Don't know about you guys, but I grew up in smalltown/rural midwest and the whole gun hysteria thing is so alien to me. It was just normal for people to own a few hunting rifles and boys learn competence with a firearm young, many girls did as well.

My grandfather told me that when he was a boy around 10-12 they would play with small rifles like 22/410 and stuff out in the sticks and nobody ever got hurt.

MBTI
    SEXY

Most people can handle guns properly and safely and nobody gets hurt. It's the idiots who think that guns are a toy or almost feel obliged to have as much fire-power as possible that get hurt. My uncle (living in Germany) has several pistols and riffles, but he never loads them around the house. On the other hand, you've got these idiots who sleep with loaded pistols under their pillows. That's just asking for a Darwin award if you ask me.

Also, while I don't think that legalizing guns is encouraging violent crime as a whole, it does add to the destructive possibilities of potential killers and therefore I feel that gun ownership should at least be heavily controlled.

MBTI
    XXFP

Thoughts:

- this debate is a "hot topic issue" which means that every fool and his mother has a collection of the same old surveys, points of view, catchphrases, and hypotheticals as everyone else.

original thinking is at a minimum.

this isn't to say that pedestrian thinking is irrelevant or incorrect, but it's something to keep in mind. do you really believe in what you're saying, or are you just trying to "win"? (win...what?)

- Most the time, a gun is just a threat signal. People who don't understand conflict mediation seem to think that it's all shootouts. If you make sure your enemy has a exit (critical first step) and then let him know you're armed, chances are, he'll leave, even if he's armed too. Of course, if your enemy has an exit, you probably have an exit, and you should just leave. Unless it's your property. (PS, don't point it at him Hollywood style. that's more than a threat...that's blatantly aggressive. just make it known you have it - knowingly tap that bulge on your ribcage, that sort of thing.)

- Killing someone over property is silly, but it's not like humans are that precious anyway. there's billions of them.

-if i had a pistol, i wouldn't carry a combat caliber, like .45. i'd carry a "pussy load" like .380 acp. it would handle the typical situation where someone needs a little hot lead and loud noise to calm them down, without killing them. .380 acp with 7 shot clip is ideal. this is entirely contrary to most pistol beliefs that you should carry the load with the most stopping power. chances are, i won't need to kill the guy. if i do, 6 or 7 shots will do it. with that caliber there's so little recoil that i could put all 7 right together into major organs, or a few into his face/head and that'd do it.
    Last edited by Bamboo; 06-20-2009 at 08:28 AM. Reason: changed from .25 acp to .380 - .25 is just too cute
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    Agreed. I even agree with the last statement despite the fact that it contradicts the first two

Actually, it's not the guns, it's the idiots making wrong decisions using the guns that aggravate me.
    Yeah.

Were there really people who didn't know what guns are or were they joking?

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by hommefatal View Post
    Were there really people who didn't know what guns are or were they joking?
    There are apparently at least 432.000 of those idiots in the world.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

A free people should have the right to bear arms, to defend themselves and their property from all takers, especially the government.

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

Ideally this whole freedom to own a gun thing would work, if only our society didn't socialize the male population to express their aggressive emotions through violence. We should probably work on that first before trying to suppress the rights already granted to the group of people who already own guns and have such an issue in self-expression, eh?
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4