User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should civilians be permitted to own guns?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO! Guns are EVIL and serve no good purpose.

21 15.67%
  • YES! Guns are USEFUL and are nice to have when you need them.

79 58.96%
  • Maybe... I wouldn't own one, but I don't mind if you do.

30 22.39%
  • What's a gun?

4 2.99%
First 364445464748 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think people should be allowed to have them in rural areas, but I'm not so sure it's a good idea to have guns floating around in cities.

I personally wouldn't own a gun, but I'm not sure I'm willing to say there's anything wrong with owning one. I definitely think people shouldn't be allowed to carry them around in public, in any case.

ByMySword

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I think people should be allowed to have them in rural areas, but I'm not so sure it's a good idea to have guns floating around in cities.

I personally wouldn't own a gun, but I'm not sure I'm willing to say there's anything wrong with owning one. I definitely think people shouldn't be allowed to carry them around in public, in any case.
    I understand what you're saying, but in reality, if one was going to carry a firearm in public in order to do to harm to someone, I don't think a law would prevent them from doing so.

I recently just recieved my concealed handgun license, so I've been carrying one on my person for the past week and a half.

NO! Guns are EVIL and serve no good purpose. I think state should control guns strictly. Shooting for fun is ok.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by hommefatal View Post
    NO! Guns are EVIL and serve no good purpose. I think state should control guns strictly. Shooting for fun is ok.
    Agreed. I even agree with the last statement despite the fact that it contradicts the first two

Actually, it's not the guns, it's the idiots making wrong decisions using the guns that aggravate me.

MBTI
    INTP

Ok everybody, repeat after me: "Guns don't kill people. People kill people".

When there were no guns, people would kill each other with knives. When there were no knives people would kill each other with sticks. When humans were too primitive to use sticks, they killed each other with their bare hands.

I don't think too many people want to live in a world where the physically strongest and most aggressive get to determine who figuratively "wins". Medieval warfare, anyone?

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by RinconSB View Post
    Ok everybody, repeat after me: "Guns don't kill people. People kill people".
    Technically correct - but beside the point.

When there were no guns, people would kill each other with knives. When there were no knives people would kill each other with sticks. When humans were too primitive to use sticks, they killed each other with their bare hands.
    This is where I think that, practically, you're wrong. Obviously, people would (and have throughout history) killed each other for various reasons. But guns make it easy, relatively impersonal, and relatively risk-free. You don't have to put yourself in much danger to use a gun on someone else - nowhere near the amount of risk you put yourself in when you attack with a knife. The simplicity and ease of using a gun also allows for snap-judgments (or even a reflex) to result in the accidental use of deadly force - or allow a non-lethal confrontation to easily slip into a lethal one. How many people have died of gunshots by accident - when the gun wielder was surprised, or in the dark and scared of a sudden sound? Comparatively, how many people have been killed in similar circumstances with a knife, bow and arrow, or stick? Not as many, I'll warrant. How many innocent bystanders have been killed across the street from two guys in a stick-fight? Probably zero . How many people are physically, mentally, and emotionally capable of beating someone to death with a stick? How many more people are capable of pulling a trigger (and possibly then instantly regretting it - too bad, one shot can be all it takes)?

I jest a bit, but here's my point... guns allow for easy, relatively low-risk escalation of relatively minor confrontations into lethal ones. *That* is why people are for gun control. Not trying to control the natural (if unfortunate) aspects of confrontation, but to limit the damage to both the participants and bystanders when such confrontations occur.

I don't think too many people want to live in a world where the physically strongest and most aggressive get to determine who figuratively "wins". Medieval warfare, anyone?
    I don't think too many people want to live in an armed camp, where everyone is armed and ready to let loose with a stream of gunfire when they feel threatened, either.

I've put forth a pretty harsh depiction - certainly there are responsible people, in whose hands guns pose no significant threat to reasonable people. Guns aren't evil, and they do have their uses. But they do serve as a catalyst for the escalation of conflict.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics

Oh please. Up here in Minnesota - we use guns for hunting.
    ESTP - Definition: "Love" is making a shot to the knees of a target a 120 km away, with an aratech sniper rifle and tri-light scope.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP

has someone already posted the "if guns were illegal the only people to have them would be outlaws" quote? if not then here

needless to say i don't think an outright ban on guns would be a good idea. banning guns in certain areas or banning certain types of guns works for me though.
    I'm feeling rough, I'm feeling raw, I'm in the prime of my life.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I will reiterate: inanimate objects cannot be good or evil. . .

they can be really cool, though, like this Ruger KP944.

Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    YaYa

It is fun getting piss drunk on shit beer and going shooting in the Mountains.

This is one of the few issues I don't have an opinion about either way.