User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should civilians be permitted to own guns?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO! Guns are EVIL and serve no good purpose.

    21 15.67%
  • YES! Guns are USEFUL and are nice to have when you need them.

    79 58.96%
  • Maybe... I wouldn't own one, but I don't mind if you do.

    30 22.39%
  • What's a gun?

    4 2.99%
First 32404142434452 Last

Results 411 to 420 of 527

  1. #411
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    I think you should overcome your fear, and abandon stereotypical (repressed) answers.
    Nobody is here to judge you.

    So, what do you feel?

    The fear/aggression drive is one of the most powerful and complex instinct we have inherited from our ancestors. Nobody is a saint, here. For instance, what do you think a surgeon feels when he holds a scalpel?
    I'm going crazy with trying to figure out why an enTp cares about somebody's FEELINGS so much in the middle of a debate! :confused:

  2. #412
    I am Sofa King!!! kendoiwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    IsTP
    Posts
    1,334

    Default

    ^^^ They don't...
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

    "They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

  3. #413
    ByMySword
    Guest

    Default

    This may surprise people since I'm apparently the "local gun nut" on here, but in retrospect, I'm really glad I missed this discussion.

    Although, I did vote. Good luck guessing what I chose.

  4. #414
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    So am I reading this right that we've gone from sparring with the sublime and shot straight past to the ridiculous by trying to include statistics?

    Statistics??? Come on... that's worse than logic for being able to prove anything.
    Only someone who is totally ignorant of statistics could make such a statement. Read a little on the subject of statistics, think about it and then report back.

    Also, if you understood the scientific method you would understand that no hypothesis is ever proven, rather, the investigator fails to disprove it. Science is about falsification of theory, not proof.

  5. #415
    Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I'm going crazy with trying to figure out why an enTp cares about somebody's FEELINGS so much in the middle of a debate! :confused:
    Because they are interesting to analyze, just to see how our subconscious drives affect this debate.

    I told you: when I see "guns", I'd say that for a lot of people, Sex, Fear and Frustration are not that far.

    See Jack Flak, for instance. Are commie militants trying to emasculate his symbol of "freedom"?

    Anyway, that's a complex debate. It's nice to use some provocative clichs sometimes, but I'd like to hear the truth, just for a change.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

    7w8 SCUxI

  6. #416
    Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Shit. It happens.
    Don't be anal-retentive, please...
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

    7w8 SCUxI

  7. #417
    Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    I love the answer, "What's a gun?" hahahahhahaha I really should have chosen that one!!!!
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

  8. #418
    I'm a star. Kangirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    1,470

    Default

    If the argument is that high gun ownership = high gun crime/large numbers of guns in a population = high gun crime, then Switzerland is a completely valid example of that not being true.
    No.

    Quote:
    As is Israel and Canada etc. etc.
    No.
    You know, you are just plain wrong on this point. It is completely legit and valid to use a fixed (for example, national) population, smaller than the entire population of the globe, to retrieve and analyse data. All sorts of studies, in all sorts of different fields, use compared national statistics to learn about - social trends, disease, etc. etc.

    All I'm saying is, populations exist with high gun ownership and low gun crime. That is a fact, not an opinion, and repeating the word 'no' in the face of a fact isn't a very good argument.

    Someone else mentioned areas in which concealed weapons are allowed, and the stats here do support that crime falls in these areas after concealed weapons laws are passed.

    Fallacy.
    How is that a fallacy?

    I'm glad you eventually acknowledge that you are not reasoning upon simple logic, but upon your beliefs.
    "eventually"? Dude, I never once claimed I was using logic to prove guns are awesome. The reason I'm not is because I don't believe this is an issue that's going to be resolved only 'logically'. It's not 2+2=4. It involves human nature and human perceptions. Hard logic isn't necessarily the only tool with which to tackle this.

    You, too, are reasoning on your beliefs, and you're being a lot more closed-minded about it than most here.

    Your last-ditch defense is now to convince us it's a matter of national ideology, and I (partially) agree. But I should add it's also a matter of psychology, and human nature.
    Not a last-ditch argument at all, nor do I think national ideology is the only factor (just as I don't think gun ownership levels are) - but it's one factor, and you can't discount it simply because it doesn't fit your argument.

    So, what do you feel when you hold a gun?
    You said you want to feel secure against the drunken thug who would enjoy to rape you, little woman?
    And I'd be interested to know what everybody feels, and hope they answer the truth, if they dare. I would not be surprised if, in many cases, there are sex and frustration involved.
    I've never held a handgun, I've only ever held hunting rifles, and I don't really feel anything holding them. I grew up surrounded by hunters and a hunting rifle was pretty much another accessory to hunt, along with binoculars and camo jackets etc. And, er, yes, yes I would like to feel secure against someone who intended to rape me. Is that a problem? Also, can you please refrain from mocking - the "little woman" stuff etc. - it doesn't help and it just makes you look like someone who is way too worked up to conduct a civil discussion.

    This is a graph of homicide rates. No mention of gun ownership. What does this prove? It also says that Spain and the EU in general have higher homicide rates than Canada, and I am pretty damned sure our gun ownership rates are a lot higher than Spain's!
    This is one example of fallacy. Or rather, complete self-denial (just like Kendoiwan showed).
    What about that was a fallacy? It was a question, not a statement! And the part about gun ownership rates was true - that graph didn't include gun stats.

    You've clearly already come to a conclusion on everyone who supports gun rights. If they're men, they're compensating for some lack of manhood. If they're women, they've got penis envy. They're all sexually aroused by the phallic nature of the glorious gun and harbour secret fantasies about mowing down crowds of people with an automatic weapon. If this is your conclusion, OK, that's fine - you're not interested in respecting different points of view, or taking them at face value rather than armchair psychoanalyzing them. You are arguing very emotionally, and your lack of interest in differing viewpoints is obvious.

    I haven't disparaged you for being pro gun control. Most of the people I know are pro gun control (I'm Canadian and my crowd is academic - so yeah, not many pro gun types in that crowd) - if you want to respectfully explore the issue, I'm willing to do that. But stop patronizing people because they don't see the world from the same perspective you do, and stop throwing the 'logic' word around so sloppily.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

    "please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

  9. #419
    Senior Member matmos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    NICE
    Posts
    1,721

    Default

    The problem is that it's impossible to keep firearms out of the hands of scumbags.

    If it was, you wouldn't be having this discussion. There would be no issue to discuss.

    All arguments supporting gun use are effectively an admission of failure.

    Precis: if you can stop arseholes getting guns (against the tide of demand) you have won. Guns are fine.

    If not, you have lost.

    At least be honest and say that dead college kids are a price worth paying for your hobby.

  10. #420
    Senior Member millerm277's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    978

    Default

    @banana...that's true. Now that we've failed, that argument is irrelevant, no? Since there are well over 100 million guns in private hands, that pretty much would ensure an infinite black market for the foreseeable future, regardless of law.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    What do you feel when you hold a gun?
    Caution, and like I'm holding something that should be treated with respect. Same way when I'm holding a sword, using explosives (Yes, I have access to real ones.), or anything else with the potential to injure myself.

    No, there is no macho/testosterone feeling that you seem to be thinking of, at least not with me. Possibly because I use dangerous things a lot, and well...either you respect them/treat them with caution, or you're going to get badly hurt at some point.

    What fascinates you?
    How it works. I like taking them apart, seeing how they work, examining the mechanisms and such. I also like target shooting, especially at extreme ranges. (To test my abilities).
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

Similar Threads

  1. [NF] Quote Thread: Express your feelings or thoughts with a quote
    By Sparrow in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 412
    Last Post: 12-03-2017, 12:20 AM
  2. The Random Movie Quote Thread
    By asynartetic in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 220
    Last Post: 12-02-2017, 10:31 PM
  3. Your self-perception vs the way you are perceived by others?
    By Verona in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 07-22-2017, 11:13 AM
  4. Random Quote Thread
    By Queen Kat in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-12-2011, 09:51 AM
  5. Long - the quotes of lovable larrikin, Nobel physicist Richard Feynman
    By InsatiableCuriosity in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-02-2010, 11:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO