User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should civilians be permitted to own guns?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO! Guns are EVIL and serve no good purpose.

21 15.67%
  • YES! Guns are USEFUL and are nice to have when you need them.

79 58.96%
  • Maybe... I wouldn't own one, but I don't mind if you do.

30 22.39%
  • What's a gun?

4 2.99%
First 2345614 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    They are designed to kill though. Why do civilians need to carry something that can kill others unless they are in an environment where wild animals may be a threat? Why would people carry something that would be used to kill other people?

Isn't the only legitimate reason because others may be armed? Once again I ask, how is circulating more weapons and arming more people a solution to this problem?
    Because guns are fun to use, as are many other weapons.

You could kill someone with any number of things. Banning guns is one more step toward making the world a soft, padded, child-lock on, personal-responsibility-free place.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I guess what I struggle to understand is how or if you guys can feel safe knowing people around you may have a concealed weapon. And why that would be an argument in favour of allowing more guns... if others carrying guns is want concerns you than how can more people having access to guns be a good and safer thing?
    Because people with concealed weapon permits are not going around shooting people. They actually know how to use a gun safely. How many drug dealers bother to get concealed weapon permit? Do you honestly believe they would ever bother with something like that?

The people to fear don't give a flying fuck what the law says. Gun bans only serve to make law abiding citizens easier targets. Gun bans don't reduce the availability of guns for criminals.

P.S. I don't own a gun and don't ever plan to own a gun, but I get sick of the illogical arguments made anti-gun people. They simply refuse to acknowledge the difference between law abiding citizens and criminals because that's the only way their argument can make any sense.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm kind of with Xander on this one

I think that the licensing process to own a gun should be a hell of a lot harder- not just a criminal background check, but a FULL background check and a look at the person's current living situation and surroundings. Also some good questions about WHY the person wants the gun should be asked... and they should have to take classes on safe gun use- like Drivers Ed for shooting things!

I'm also all for bullets being marked in some way (though I'd almost prefer an interior marking so that people couldn't just file them off) so that there could be an easier record of who shot who and such. I don't care if it's conceled or not if the process for getting the license is strict enough!

I'm not for banning them, I like fresh venison and squirrel just as much as the next rural person, but where I live currently there are a lot of problems with people shooting one another for silly reasons and such (and licensed gun owners shooting people as well ). I'd prefer that guns fall into the right hands as opposed to the wrong ones
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

They are designed to kill though. Why do civilians need to carry something that can kill others unless they are in an environment where wild animals may be a threat? Why would people carry something that would be used to kill other people?

Isn't the only legitimate reason because others may be armed? Once again I ask, how is circulating more weapons and arming more people a solution to this problem?
    Why keep nuclear weapons?

It's probably a question of you can't uninvent them. They exist now and they are out there. What you going to do about it is the only choice remaining.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    As a defensive gun owner, you don't shoot to wound, you don't shoot to kill... you shoot to survive.
    How often does your survival rest upon ensuring that the other guy doesn't?
    Killing people isn't the point. It's making them stop doing crime on you that is the point. They can be killed or wounded, it's true, or they can see the gun and flee. In any even, the gun itself is not a moral agent.
    If this were all true then you'd be wanting a bean bag gun or something right?

How about a taser?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I'm kind of with Xander on this one

I think that the licensing process to own a gun should be a hell of a lot harder- not just a criminal background check, but a FULL background check and a look at the person's current living situation and surroundings. Also some good questions about WHY the person wants the gun should be asked... and they should have to take classes on safe gun use- like Drivers Ed for shooting things!

I'm also all for bullets being marked in some way (though I'd almost prefer an interior marking so that people couldn't just file them off) so that there could be an easier record of who shot who and such. I don't care if it's conceled or not if the process for getting the license is strict enough!

I'm not for banning them, I like fresh venison and squirrel just as much as the next rural person, but where I live currently there are a lot of problems with people shooting one another for silly reasons and such (and licensed gun owners shooting people as well ). I'd prefer that guns fall into the right hands as opposed to the wrong ones
    Right on sister.

People should be told quite harshly that you should only shoot someone for a very sensible and serious reason.. like wanting them dead or something.

Btw, wouldn't most rifles make a mess of a squirrel? Do you have like really large squirrels or do some people carry something lighter than a 30-06?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    That's an argument for police reform. Not gun ownership.
    Hell, why not anarchy, while you're about it?
    It is not economically feasible to employ enough police officers to stop every crime in progress. This has nothing to do with police reform. It's about what actually works. Your anarchy comment is hyperbole. No one has suggested anarchy would be preferable.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    It is not economically feasible to employ enough police officers to stop every crime in progress.
    Invent a new scheme. You buy a gun, they give you a hallucinogenic to make you think you've got a gun and give the money to the police.

Problem solved

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Right on sister.

People should be told quite harshly that you should only shoot someone for a very sensible and serious reason.. like wanting them dead or something.

Btw, wouldn't most rifles make a mess of a squirrel? Do you have like really large squirrels or do some people carry something lighter than a 30-06?

Quite true, good sir... then THEY should be hunted down like varmit and sent off to the Pen to make license plates for a good while

I've always used a .22 on squirrels while growing up- and on rabbits too!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    If this were all true then you'd be wanting a bean bag gun or something right?

How about a taser?
    No, because the threat of a gun is much greater than the threat of a bean bag.