User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should civilians be permitted to own guns?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO! Guns are EVIL and serve no good purpose.

    21 15.67%
  • YES! Guns are USEFUL and are nice to have when you need them.

    79 58.96%
  • Maybe... I wouldn't own one, but I don't mind if you do.

    30 22.39%
  • What's a gun?

    4 2.99%
First 27353637383947 Last

Results 361 to 370 of 527

  1. #361
    o edward cullen! Ardea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    Translation: "Yes, you're correct, Mr. Flak. I am, however, getting too much attention and enjoyment from this thread to let this interfere. Please go back to being irritated. It pleases me.".
    ... no itsnot!!!!! :steam:



    Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  2. #362
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    Translation: "Yes, you're correct, Mr. Flak. I am, however, getting too much attention and enjoyment from this thread to let this interfere. Please go back to being irritated. It pleases me."
    lol

    [youtube=4kr24G8jQpM]>:?I[/youtube]

  3. #363
    o edward cullen! Ardea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    729

    Default

    We all know how that story ends
    Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  4. #364
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FemmeUrbane View Post
    We all know how that story ends
    Oh, the idealism of Hollywood.

  5. #365
    o edward cullen! Ardea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Oh, the idealism of Hollywood.
    The good guys win?
    Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  6. #366
    Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FemmeUrbane View Post


    1.~K=~B

    2. Humans were not meant to kill, concluded by looking at psychological effects of killing: Maybe we weren't meant to kill.

    3. A gun is a human invention. The original intent of a gun is to kill - to help a human kill/injure.

    4. Guns are not good because they help humans do something they were not meant to do.

    5. Not good could be construed as evil.

    6. Guns are evil.
    The psychological effect you reference refers to a specific form of killing. You are killing other human beings, you are also doing so at an excessive rate, you are also losing close friends to death, you are being injured, and are being exposed to vast amounts of evil. However, this effect does not reveal itself in all aspects of killing. It does not manifest when you kill an animal. It does not manifest if you kill once, in self defense. An equivalent argument, is that because you can eat excessively and it has negative effects, humans are not meant to eat, despite having the mechanisms to do so.

    So, your general argument that guns are evil hinges on a psychological effect that affects specific individuals, under a specific set of circumstances. Under different circumstances, this effect does that happen. The most you can say from this psychological effect is that humans are not equipped, or meant, to kill other humans excessively, despite the fact that our bodies and minds are equipped with mechanisms to engage in killing for other purposes.

    Therefore, because your argument that we are not meant for killing is based on an effect that does not manifest in all circumstances of killing, the argument that all killing is bad is false. Therefore, your argument that guns are evil is also false.



  7. #367
    Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post

    My opinion, for the record: guns are neither good nor evil.
    A Fi-user should say that guns are indeed inherently evil because they are solely designed to kill other human beings. You may not agree with it, but ethically speaking, this argument is quite valid.

    But as a Ti/Fe, I'd say that objectively, guns are extremely dangerous. Just like Atom bombs. And people who are irresponsibly toying with them scare me.

    And what I've read here just convinced how deeply immature most of the gun proponents are. And don't say guns are useful for self-defence, it's a vicious circle and therefore, a rather irrational argument.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

    7w8 SCUxI

  8. #368
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    A Fi-user should say that guns are indeed inherently evil because they are solely designed to kill other human beings. You may not agree with it, but ethically speaking, this argument is quite valid.
    It's an idealistic opinion, and as such its validity remains subjective, and can't be successfully argued empirically.

    But as a Ti/Fe, I'd say that objectively, guns are extremely dangerous. Just like Atom bombs. And people who are irresponsibly toying with them scare me.

    And what I've read here just convinced how deeply immature most of the gun proponents are. And don't say guns are useful for self-defence, it's a vicious circle and therefore, a rather irrational argument.
    Erroneous functional notions and extraneous personal assessments of individuals aside, this at least is debatable.

    To refute it, I could propose premises, to which you could attempt to disagree with if you so chose, such as:

    1. It's impossible keep guns from the possession of at least a minority of criminals.

    2. Guns in the hands of law-abiding people deter crime, via fear or indeed by force.

  9. #369
    Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post

    1. It's impossible keep guns from the possession of at least a minority of criminals.
    Fallacy.

    The more opportunities, the more risks...

    2. Guns in the hands of law-abiding people deter crime, via fear or indeed by force.
    Totally untrue. There is a direct correlation between the numbers of weapons and violent crimes.

    You can check any datas gathered in western countries.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

    7w8 SCUxI

  10. #370
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Fallacy.

    The more opportunities, the more risks...
    Care to make more of an effort? I do.

    Lott Study: Concealed Carry Deters Crime

    Totally untrue. There is a direct correlation between the numbers of weapons and violent crimes.

    You can check any datas gathered in western countries.
    Nice try. Proven incorrect, however: Gun politics in Switzerland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Similar Threads

  1. [NF] Quote Thread: Express your feelings or thoughts with a quote
    By Sparrow in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 412
    Last Post: 12-03-2017, 12:20 AM
  2. The Random Movie Quote Thread
    By asynartetic in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 220
    Last Post: 12-02-2017, 10:31 PM
  3. Your self-perception vs the way you are perceived by others?
    By Verona in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 07-22-2017, 11:13 AM
  4. Random Quote Thread
    By Queen Kat in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-12-2011, 09:51 AM
  5. Long - the quotes of lovable larrikin, Nobel physicist Richard Feynman
    By InsatiableCuriosity in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-02-2010, 11:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO