User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should civilians be permitted to own guns?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO! Guns are EVIL and serve no good purpose.

    21 15.67%
  • YES! Guns are USEFUL and are nice to have when you need them.

    79 58.96%
  • Maybe... I wouldn't own one, but I don't mind if you do.

    30 22.39%
  • What's a gun?

    4 2.99%
First 25333435363745 Last

Results 341 to 350 of 527

  1. #341
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FemmeUrbane View Post
    Because I made an argument that guns were inherently evil?
    It's not what you claim, it's the method. It's against the rules of "making sense" to appropriate schools of thought you're unfamiliar with.

    Quote Originally Posted by FemmeUrbane View Post
    Sure, why not.

    But it's not entirely my personal opinion. It could be called that. It could be understood as it. But it's not...

    I used facts to build up to conclusions that COULD BE FALSE because we have no way of proving them - abstract concepts such as what is the purpose of man.
    Thank you for defining subjective opinion.

  2. #342
    I'm a star. Kangirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    1,470

    Default

    Mouths. What are they meant for?
    Easy. Eating cupcakes. Delicious cupcaaaaakes.

    I'm sure we'll find some answers... yes. I am pretty positive that, given the number of people on Earth, and the number of years people have existed, we can find SOME reasons. The odds are in favor.
    This is neither a 'yes' nor a 'no'. How can you argue for, or me argue against, something so slippery?

    Trial and error. Arguments.
    Go on, spell it out. How will trial and error lead us to a conclusion re: humans are 'meant' to do x, y, z? Not everything can be resolved using logic and I think you're making a mistake here constantly citing 'logic'. If you feel something, but lack hard evidence for it, it's an opinion. We can argue opinions. But don't mistake them for facts.

    To participate in the opinions argument I'll say that humans beings were arguably 'meant' to kill in any situation in which the life of their offspring is threatened.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

    "please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

  3. #343
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FemmeUrbane View Post
    Death is not wrong. It's an effect. If our purpose was to make society "LIVE LONG AND PROSPER" - then we're not doing something right if we're not eating...
    Ergo we determine purpose ourselves. Ergo a gun has no purpose, the crafter may have a purpose but this is the superseded by the user. Ergo your argument is logically flawed due to not keeping any causal link.
    Quote Originally Posted by FemmeUrbane View Post
    Reductio ad absurdum. You know what I meant.
    Actually no. I'm just assuming you're using the word "purpose" erroneously. I cannot see how you could be both intelligent enough to infuriate people and yet myopic enough to use that word deliberately.

    There again I am an INTP and I focus on such things and you are an ENTP and are most probably arguing because it's more fun than TV or simply stating and leaving.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  4. #344
    o edward cullen! Ardea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    This is your original argument in this thread, or at least the most concise one I could find. Nowhere in this argument do I see "intent of creation" and how that makes the gun evil. You are labeling a gun as evil because of it's intent of use right here, which I have proven is a false label, since you can kill as a good act.
    My poor choice in words. Sorry. It clarified it later on. Again, my apologies.

    I have shown you that the bolded statement is false, and not the case. I have natural mechanisms, hormones, and feelings that allow me to kill if that is the only way to end a conflict. Why aren't we meant to kill then? Because we feel bad afterwards? Then why does my body produce and have the mechanisms to kill in the first place? Killing in self-defense is a moral good, using this [your] argument.
    That is still twisting my argument. Feeling bad afterwards isn't the psychological effect I was talking about. Killing has a psychological effect. Google psychological effect of killing.


    How does this relate to idea that a gun's nature is evil if used for killing, when killing is not always evil? It doesn't. This is a new argument, which I'd be happy to argue once this argument is finished.
    1.~K=~B

    2. Humans were not meant to kill, concluded by looking at psychological effects of killing: Maybe we weren't meant to kill.

    3. A gun is a human invention. The original intent of a gun is to kill - to help a human kill/injure.

    4. Guns are not good because they help humans do something they were not meant to do.

    5. Not good could be construed as evil.

    6. Guns are evil.



    Great! So watching my family get killed, tortured, or worse while I sit twiddling my thumbs is a good action. That goes against common sense, and if I may say so, that philosophy stinks.
    Reductio ad absurdum.
    Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  5. #345
    Senior Member ArbiterDewey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Posts
    310

    Default

    (x) Kg v Ke
    ~(?x) Kg
    (x) ~Ke

    To translate:
    All killing is either good or killing is evil
    There is not one instance that all killing is good
    Killing is not always evil

    It really depends on the context.

    Note: I didn't make a logical argument (come to a conclusion). It simply depends on perspective and opinion (and to do so would be tedious).

    Personally I view guns as a necessary evil. Getting rid of them (at this point, anyways) could only do harm.
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
    --Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

    Nothing is worse than active ignorance.
    --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

    Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right.
    --Isaac Asimov

  6. #346
    o edward cullen! Ardea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    Easy. Eating cupcakes. Delicious cupcaaaaakes.

    This is neither a 'yes' nor a 'no'. How can you argue for, or me argue against, something so slippery?

    Go on, spell it out. How will trial and error lead us to a conclusion re: humans are 'meant' to do x, y, z? Not everything can be resolved using logic and I think you're making a mistake here constantly citing 'logic'. If you feel something, but lack hard evidence for it, it's an opinion. We can argue opinions. But don't mistake them for facts.

    To participate in the opinions argument I'll say that humans beings were arguably 'meant' to kill in any situation in which the life of their offspring is threatened.
    Okay, you can make that argument. I'm not saying you can't.

    What I'm saying is that it doesn't touch my argument. The logic is pretty strong. SECRET: Logic can be used to prove almost anything.

    Slippery slopes are fun.
    Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  7. #347
    almost half a doctor phoenix13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    1,313

    Default

    What the hell is the big deal with what FemmeUrbane is saying?! Her argument is: Guns have one use, and one use only: to kill. Killing is evil. Therefore, it is evil to use a gun... or you can say guns are evil, but that isn't strictly correct.

    OK, so this argument isn't proof, it's an opinion as others have said. I have several issues with it:

    First, guns have other uses than killing (even if the original intent behind the invention was to kill). For example, target practice... it's an olympic sport , or self defense (via non-lethal wounds).

    Second, killing isn't inherently evil. More specifically, the intent behind killing isn't necessarily evil (ex. killing a wild boar to feed one's family).

    Lastly, can we be done with this "logic" and "proof" crap? EVIL is not a logical judgement. It's an opinion of sorts.

    "OMG I FEEEEEEEEEL SO INTENSELY ABOUT EVERYTHING OMG OMG OMG GET ME A XANAX" -Priam (ENFP impersonation)

  8. #348
    o edward cullen! Ardea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArbiterDewey View Post
    (x) Kg v Ke
    ~(?x) Kg
    (x) ~Ke

    To translate:
    All killing is either good or killing is evil
    There is not one instance that all killing is good
    Killing is not always evil

    It really depends on the context.

    Note: I didn't make a logical argument (come to a conclusion). It simply depends on perspective and opinion (and to do so would be tedious).

    Personally I view guns as a necessary evil. Getting rid of them (at this point, anyways) could only do harm.
    YOU GET IT!!!

    I like you.

    And +50 for using logic.
    Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  9. #349
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix13 View Post
    Lastly, can we be done with this "logic" and "proof" crap? EVIL is not a logical judgement. It's an opinion of sorts.
    Not according to FemmeUrbane it isn't!

  10. #350
    EvanTheClown (ETC) Clownmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix13 View Post
    Lastly, can we be done with this "logic" and "proof" crap?
    simply put, no.

    Because you can't spell "Slaughter" without "Laughter"

Similar Threads

  1. [NF] Quote Thread: Express your feelings or thoughts with a quote
    By Sparrow in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 412
    Last Post: 12-03-2017, 12:20 AM
  2. The Random Movie Quote Thread
    By asynartetic in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 220
    Last Post: 12-02-2017, 10:31 PM
  3. Your self-perception vs the way you are perceived by others?
    By Verona in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 07-22-2017, 11:13 AM
  4. Random Quote Thread
    By Queen Kat in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-12-2011, 09:51 AM
  5. Long - the quotes of lovable larrikin, Nobel physicist Richard Feynman
    By InsatiableCuriosity in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-02-2010, 11:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO