User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should civilians be permitted to own guns?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO! Guns are EVIL and serve no good purpose.

21 15.67%
  • YES! Guns are USEFUL and are nice to have when you need them.

79 58.96%
  • Maybe... I wouldn't own one, but I don't mind if you do.

30 22.39%
  • What's a gun?

4 2.99%
First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

When people suffer road rage, my first fear is not, "Do they have a gun?" it's "Are they going to ram me with their car?"
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    When people suffer road rage, my first fear is not, "Do they have a gun?" it's "Are they going to ram me with their car?"
    We tend to judge the likelihood of others' actions by what we ourselves would do.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Call a cop and order a pizza, and see which one arrives first... it's not a matter of "wanting to take things into your own hands," it's a matter of "it's you or nobody."

If I could find a state trooper who would fit in my pocket, I'd carry one of those instead.
    That's an argument for police reform. Not gun ownership.
    Hell, why not anarchy, while you're about it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Call a cop and order a pizza, and see which one arrives first... it's not a matter of "wanting to take things into your own hands," it's a matter of "it's you or nobody."

If I could find a state trooper who would fit in my pocket, I'd carry one of those instead.
    So the problem is inadequate policing?

Recon they might be out numbered by all them crims with weapons

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    That's an argument for police reform. Not gun ownership.
    Hell, why not anarchy, while you're about it?
    Circular reasoning... this can't be an argument for gun ownership, because as we all know, guns are evil.

[sigh]

MBTI
    INTP

Firstly, guns themselves aren't good or evil. It's how they're used that is good or evil (and even then morality is relative, but that's a different topic).

One thing to remember is that most criminals don't want a gunfight. They want a victim. If you simply stop being a victim, the criminal usually will go in search of easier prey.

Secondly, I agree with both of these points.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Well, because your conclusions are based on your assumptions, which I'm really quite hard-pressed to change, I see the odds are quite stacked against me.

I can tell you for certain, though, that among the concealed-carry community violent crime is vanishingly rare.
    You miss judge me mousie... I'd love to carry my own para ordnance peacemaker with me... I trust my judgement... other's ... well... errrmmm...

You see my quandary no?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    Firstly, guns themselves aren't good or evil. It's how they're used that is good or evil
    They are designed to kill though. Why do civilians need to carry something that can kill others unless they are in an environment where wild animals may be a threat? Why would people carry something that would be used to kill other people?

Isn't the only legitimate reason because others may be armed? Once again I ask, how is circulating more weapons and arming more people a solution to this problem?

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Why do civilians need to carry something that can kill others unless they are in an environment where wild animals may be a threat? Why would people carry something that would be used to kill other people?
    Criminals are wild animals. Other people can be wild animals. There are a million reasons why you shouldn't carry a gun. But there are a million situations where a weapon can keep you and your loved ones alive. I understand your points. But I cannot come up with an argument why a responsible, trained civilian should not be allowed to carry.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    They are designed to kill though. Why do civilians need to carry something that can kill others unless they are in an environment where wild animals may be a threat? Why would people carry something that would be used to kill other people?
    As a defensive gun owner, you don't shoot to wound, you don't shoot to kill... you shoot to survive.

Killing people isn't the point. It's making them stop doing crime on you that is the point. They can be killed or wounded, it's true, or they can see the gun and flee. In any even, the gun itself is not a moral agent.