User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should civilians be permitted to own guns?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO! Guns are EVIL and serve no good purpose.

21 15.67%
  • YES! Guns are USEFUL and are nice to have when you need them.

79 58.96%
  • Maybe... I wouldn't own one, but I don't mind if you do.

30 22.39%
  • What's a gun?

4 2.99%
First 18262728293038 Last

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by FemmeUrbane View Post
    You seem to have a lot of opinions without much thought. Yes, you're using very simple logic that is akin to that of a comedy show, however, there is not much depth behind it.

Get your lulz. But in the end, it's all in vain.

My point was made. I'm not trying to get people on my side. I just wanted to make my point. No one has been able to dismantle my logic yet. Only vague attempts at bad arguing, which makes me laugh...

Love you guys!
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

MBTI
    IsTP

Good question. I'm using the old, Greek philosophical way of defining an object's nature: the intention behind the creation of the object (it's a bit removed from the original Greek, but it's the way that I understand it best).

Like I said, some items are inherently good, bad, and neutral - it's the intention behind the creation.
    1. In modern scientific writing "nature" refers to all directly observable phenomena of the "physical" or material universe, and it is contrasted only with any other sort of existence, such as spiritual or supernatural existence. In a scientific text, the unqualified term “nature” normally means the same as “the cosmos” or “the universe”.
    2. Historically, and also in casual speech, “nature” does not include all things, because it excludes the artificial or man-made. For example it generally does not include manufactured objects, and also generally does not include human interaction. In this case, the unqualified term “nature” generally means the same as “wilderness” or “the Natural environment”.
    Carry on
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

Oberon

Okay, let's entertain that. How would we find out of murder is natural?
    That question aside, it certainly seems to me that self-defense is natural. It's observable in animals in every ecosystem that contains them.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

You seem to have a lot of opinions without much thought. Yes, you're using very simple logic that is akin to that of a comedy show, however, there is not much depth behind it.
    You know what they call thoughts which are very deep, and not easily broken down into simple, logical points?

Feelings.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    That question aside, it certainly seems to me that self-defense is natural. It's observable in animals in every ecosystem that contains them.
    Okay, so perhaps one original intention of a gun is self-defense. Is it possible that perhaps, there is another purpose? If guns were birthed from gun powder, a Chinese invention, let's try to get into the head of the inventor. What else?

ORIGINAL INTENTION FOR CREATION OF GUNS
    1. Self-defense
    Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    FemmeUrbane = philosophy student looking for a reason to value philosophy.

Answer, there isn't one. Philosophy is like cheese or wine, you consume it and recall it being good but if you just try to sit there and hug it you end up with mould and vinegar.

There is no argument for guns being evil because it presumes sentience. That much is obvious. As to whether people should have them or not, that's way more complex than any simplistic harking to a philosophical work or two will reveal and no there isn't really an answer to this either...
    Kinda funny.

So what you're saying is that, in order for something to be good or evil, it must be sentient? Okay, I'll bite. So... a dog... sea polyp... caterpillar can be good or evil, solely because it is sentient?

I wasn't arguing about whether or not people should have them. Never once entered my argument. But I do believe that we haven't exacted the science on who should/shouldn't have one - and that we never will.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    The act is not a result of the desire?
    It is, however desire doesn't necessarily equate a need/imply nature. There is also the repercussion of this action to be taken into account.

Just because one can attempt to do something, or even do it, doesn't mean we were MEANT to do it. It's not our purpose. We weren't meant to eat cement... maybe certain types of dirt... but not cement. We can try, and possibly eat some... but there might be complications thereafter.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    You still haven't related this information to the framework of my argument. Which is really the framework of your argument. You just said, "A bonding chemical increases during sex, increasing the likelihood of the male to exhibit bonding behaviour."

I can also say "Stressful and dangerous situations trigger an increase in adrenaline, sensory awareness, and reaction time, increasing the ability of the male to fight effectively." Apparently fighting is something I must be designed to do. What will help me win a fight? A gun.

Now explain to me how I'm wrong.
    Okay, you're right. I haven't. But I will humor you, even though your argument is a bit more difficult.

Can you state your argument in an equation form? Or at least, restate in entirety.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Also, with your assertion that some things are inherently evil, that is incorrect in the case of guns. The nature/purpose of a gun is to kill. I have shown that killing is not always an evil deed. Thus, the gun cannot be inherently evil if it can be used to for a good deed.
    Your previous argument involved a PRESENT PERSON having a gun - and not the ORIGINAL INTENTION behind the creation of a gun (my argument).

Okay, let's entertain this concept of maybe killing is not always evil. Why do you say that?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Which kills more: guns or swimming pools?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.