User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should civilians be permitted to own guns?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO! Guns are EVIL and serve no good purpose.

    21 15.67%
  • YES! Guns are USEFUL and are nice to have when you need them.

    79 58.96%
  • Maybe... I wouldn't own one, but I don't mind if you do.

    30 22.39%
  • What's a gun?

    4 2.99%
First 14222324252634 Last

Results 231 to 240 of 527

  1. #231
    I am Sofa King!!! kendoiwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    IsTP
    Posts
    1,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FemmeUrbane View Post
    So... 9 in 10 are... which proves that monogamy is natural...
    You are now cherry picking.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

    "They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

  2. #232
    o edward cullen! Ardea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kendoiwan View Post
    You are now cherry picking.
    Nope. You used X to prove A. But it ACTUALLY proves ~A!!!!
    Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  3. #233
    Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FemmeUrbane View Post
    You're kinda right, but your argument has too many FACT holes - biology and psychology, mostly.

    My argument was very simple, your argument went a bit too broad.
    Please explain the facts so I can become more enlightened. Biological holes...I don't really see any. Men can engage in the production of different children several times a day. Even things like jealousy, feelings of attachment, can be argued to exist so that I am invested in the vessel that is containing my offspring, and I care whether that child makes it or not. Psychological? Not sure there either. Please provide examples.

    Also, comparing the scope of arguments is silly, since the same logical framework should be valid for all arguments, if the logic is sound.



  4. #234
    o edward cullen! Ardea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kendoiwan View Post
    You're right. It doesn't dictate - but strongly suggests/infers. X must exist for a reason. Let's try to figure it out!

    Why does jealousy exist?
    Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  5. #235
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FemmeUrbane View Post
    Have you ever taken a philosophy class? IE looking at the nature of things...? I used several very easy premises, and was able to establish a sound argument, based on a few simple philosophical methods.
    Not true, but well done on your attempt at a red herring.

    And thank you. You've helped me realize that am, in fact, an ENTP.
    Fail. I'm not sure what type you are, but F is in there somewhere. Not the good F, the kind of F who thinks that just because she wants to, she can be as good at T as a real T. Arrogance.

  6. #236
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FemmeUrbane View Post
    Trust me, I'm not arguing that man isn't violent. I'm talking about original intention. Why does no one understand that? Guess no one's taken a philosophy course or something....

    You guys are very simplistic. Plz think.
    People understand what you're saying. We just think know what you're saying is wrong. Intent is irrelevant.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  7. #237
    Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FemmeUrbane View Post

    Why does jealousy exist?
    It can be argued that personal jealousy is a mating aid. I become jealous if a female expresses interest in another male. I don't want her to have sex with that male, so I can be sure that the child she has/will have are mine. I also want to protect my current woman from new suitors, so I can keep on having more and more kids with my woman, and I can make sure they're mine. I want her to be monogamous, I don't necessarily have to be.

    I can be jealous of other males if they're better at attracting more mates than I am. He may have more things [displays of his power, assertiveness, dominance which most women find sexually attractive] so it makes me want to get those things too. This is a mechanism built into me to make me into a prime mating candidate.



  8. #238
    o edward cullen! Ardea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Please explain the facts so I can become more enlightened. Biological holes...I don't really see any. Men can engage in the production of different children several times a day. Even things like jealousy, feelings of attachment, can be argued to exist so that I am invested in the vessel that is containing my offspring, and I care whether that child makes it or not. Psychological? Not sure there either. Please provide examples.

    Also, comparing the scope of arguments is silly, since the same logical framework should be valid for all arguments, if the logic is sound.
    "Moreover, besides examination of the
    sympathoadrenal and anterior pituitary system, we assessed
    changes in plasma oxytocin and vasopressin concentrations
    to compare the role of prolactin and oxytocin as reliable
    markers of orgasm." from http://joe.endocrinology-journals.or...t/177/1/57.pdf

    What is oxytocin?

    Oxytocin is the bonding chemical. The higher the level of oxytocin, the more empathic and less aggressive the individual will be. Oxytocin also links the verbal centers in the brain and stimulates a nurturing response with others. Higher levels of oxytocin in women enable them to be good mothers and respond to the emotional needs of their spouse, children and friends.

    During sex the increase in oxytocin causes a woman to bond intensely with her partner, creating romantic attachment. About the only time a man experiences a surge of oxytocin is during orgasm which allows him to bond with his partner as well. However, after orgasm, a mans oxytocin levels return to their normally low levels, while the womans levels remain consistently higher than the mans. This is why a man may be compelled to say, I love you during sex, but may not feel like saying it much afterwards when the woman is longing to hear reassuring words of love and affection. Men, Woman, and the Dance of Polarity

    Monogamy gene found in people - life - 01 September 2008 - New Scientist

    Factoid: ethanol reduces levels of vasopressin! *gasp* Don't have sex with drunk guys, girls!!!

    I could go on... but really... is this necessary? I'm not your mama, and this is not the monogamy thread.
    Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  9. #239
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Not true, but well done on your attempt at a red herring.
    She's confusing biological and philosophical arguments and doesn't realize it. My take is that she's a moral absolutist...and she probably doesn't even realize that either.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  10. #240
    I am Sofa King!!! kendoiwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    IsTP
    Posts
    1,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    She's confusing biological and philosophical arguments and doesn't realize it. My take is that she's a moral absolutist...and she probably doesn't even realize that either.
    I was going to say it but you beat me to it...
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

    "They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

Similar Threads

  1. [NF] Quote Thread: Express your feelings or thoughts with a quote
    By Sparrow in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 412
    Last Post: 12-03-2017, 12:20 AM
  2. The Random Movie Quote Thread
    By asynartetic in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 220
    Last Post: 12-02-2017, 10:31 PM
  3. Your self-perception vs the way you are perceived by others?
    By Verona in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 07-22-2017, 11:13 AM
  4. Random Quote Thread
    By Queen Kat in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-12-2011, 09:51 AM
  5. Long - the quotes of lovable larrikin, Nobel physicist Richard Feynman
    By InsatiableCuriosity in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-02-2010, 11:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO