User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should civilians be permitted to own guns?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO! Guns are EVIL and serve no good purpose.

    21 15.67%
  • YES! Guns are USEFUL and are nice to have when you need them.

    79 58.96%
  • Maybe... I wouldn't own one, but I don't mind if you do.

    30 22.39%
  • What's a gun?

    4 2.99%
First 12202122232432 Last

Results 211 to 220 of 527

  1. #211
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Err am I right in thinking that a "right minded bloke" perspective is needed?

    Blokes... naturally polygamous. Also naturally violent. That's the old instincts. Guns are just the new knives... Least with a few toy guns we can make believe that there's still some place in this cotton wool world where natural aggression has a place.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  2. #212
    o edward cullen! Ardea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Jesus H. Christmas Carolers.

    That's the point of arguments, you toss them out there, and people get to destroy them if they want to.
    And I can back them up. Is that not the point of a debate? Y'all try to debunk, and I counter?

    Which I and others have already done to yours, believe me. You don't see it, because you're using the part of your brain which Just knows it's right, because you feel it so strongly. 'S called F, FYI.
    You're using that, too, darlin' - especially with that "destruction" there.

    Being that I've already explained why your position is silly (Again, as others have too), I don't think I'll make progress with you by doing it again. Adios.
    No, you have not proved anything other than I've made you mad, which made you simplify/dumb-down my argument (and changed it) so sloppily, and commented on the sloppy translation. This is a cheap move that angry people use when trying to argue. AND you even tried to use my "ENFP" status against me. LOL ad hominem!

    All that weak F inside...
    Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  3. #213
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Thinking on the whole melee vs ranged... personally I'd rather be ruled by those cunning enough to develop the ultimate weapon than those strong enough to hit hard.. let's face it the king would almost assuredly have brain damage!!!
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  4. #214
    o edward cullen! Ardea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Err am I right in thinking that a "right minded bloke" perspective is needed?

    Blokes... naturally polygamous. Also naturally violent. That's the old instincts. Guns are just the new knives... Least with a few toy guns we can make believe that there's still some place in this cotton wool world where natural aggression has a place.
    So... if your wife got pregnant by another man... would you be violent? Ya know... mad, sad, disappointed... jealous...?

    Trust me, I'm not arguing that man isn't violent. I'm talking about original intention. Why does no one understand that? Guess no one's taken a philosophy course or something....

    You guys are very simplistic. Plz think.
    Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  5. #215
    Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FemmeUrbane View Post
    Don't be ridiculous.

    By my logic, because humans have monogamous feelings (jealousy, fulfillment with one person, etc), it insinuates a need for monogamy.

    Anyway, what does marriage have to do with guns?
    It has nothing to do with guns. But the analogy is the same. You're arguing that because feelings exist for something, that is the right and correct mode of operation, and anything that goes against that feeling is evil. Which is completely preposterous. I have urges and feelings to have sex with every hot looking female that walks by me. But I don't. I guess that restraint is evil. I want nothing more than to sit by a fire and read great books in the mountains somewhere for the rest of my life, but I don't, because I need a job and would like to have kids someday. I guess that's pretty evil.

    And if you say my examples are ridiculous, that's basically your argument that you're defeating.



  6. #216
    I am Sofa King!!! kendoiwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    IsTP
    Posts
    1,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FemmeUrbane View Post
    I provided a reason as to why I believed that hand to hand was more civilized: it kept the intimate/human aspect in killing. Guns subtract that element - it can be distant. Again, this is semantics.

    And yes, less casualties is a good thing. However, it is still casualties. It does not change the nature/original intent of guns because it is still casualties.
    Unless you're going to argue that killing is evil then this argument doesn't hold much weight, logically speaking. People will kill, with or without a gun. You're essentially arguing weapons are evil because they are made to kill. I'm arguing people will kill with or without a gun, and there is no "civilized" or "uncivilized" way to kill.




    That's why I was asking questions about these people. This isn't common knowledge. Killing people isn't a mundane occurrence for most of us.

    I still highly doubt this is a fact... you can become desensitized... but the effect is still there, I would think.
    Just because you didn't know it doesn't mean it isn't common knowledge.

    Just because you are unaware of something or it doesn't fit into your paradigm of how the world should be doesn't make it any less of a fact.

    Talk to anyone who has killed and they will all tell you the same thing, 9 out of 10.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

    "They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

  7. #217
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FemmeUrbane View Post
    And I can back them up. Is that not the point of a debate? Y'all try to debunk, and I counter?
    You're serious, aren't you.

    Possession of an opinion isn't debate. You're not debating, you're saying "I don't like this." You can't debate what someone does and doesn't like. What you can do is say "It doesn't matter what you like," which is what I did. And I already explained why it doesn't matter.

  8. #218
    I am Sofa King!!! kendoiwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    IsTP
    Posts
    1,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FemmeUrbane View Post
    Don't be ridiculous.

    By my logic, because humans have monogamous feelings (jealousy, fulfillment with one person, etc), it insinuates a need for monogamy.
    That is psychologically false btw. Monogamy is a societal construct, useful for keeping in order who raises what child.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

    "They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

  9. #219
    o edward cullen! Ardea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    It has nothing to do with guns. But the analogy is the same. You're arguing that because feelings exist for something, that is the right and correct mode of operation, and anything that goes against that feeling is evil. Which is completely preposterous. I have urges and feelings to have sex with every hot looking female that walks by me. But I don't. I guess that restraint is evil. I want nothing more than to sit by a fire and read great books in the mountains somewhere for the rest of my life, but I don't, because I need a job and would like to have kids someday. I guess that's pretty evil.

    And if you say my examples are ridiculous, that's basically your argument that you're defeating.
    Is it just me, or did you really just fly by all your linkages within your comment...?

    Urge to have sex ---> urge to have kids
    Urge to have sex with hot women ---> urge to have kids [with fertile female, which increases the change you'll have sex]
    You don't have sex with all these hot women because you need a job... rape would probably negate this... and this is not the best way to form a family... as 100000 women would be hard to provide for with their 100000 kids. Right?

    Come on. Think a little!
    Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  10. #220
    o edward cullen! Ardea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    You're serious, aren't you.

    Possession of an opinion isn't debate. You're not debating, you're saying "I don't like this." You can't debate what someone does and doesn't like. What you can do is say "It doesn't matter what you like," which is what I did. And I already explained why it doesn't matter.
    I just said I was curious about guns... how can you say that I said I don't like them?

    I debated a logical point. I have yet to see you do the same.
    Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Similar Threads

  1. [NF] Quote Thread: Express your feelings or thoughts with a quote
    By Sparrow in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 412
    Last Post: 12-03-2017, 12:20 AM
  2. The Random Movie Quote Thread
    By asynartetic in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 220
    Last Post: 12-02-2017, 10:31 PM
  3. Your self-perception vs the way you are perceived by others?
    By Verona in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 07-22-2017, 11:13 AM
  4. Random Quote Thread
    By Queen Kat in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-12-2011, 09:51 AM
  5. Long - the quotes of lovable larrikin, Nobel physicist Richard Feynman
    By InsatiableCuriosity in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-02-2010, 11:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO