User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should civilians be permitted to own guns?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO! Guns are EVIL and serve no good purpose.

    21 15.67%
  • YES! Guns are USEFUL and are nice to have when you need them.

    79 58.96%
  • Maybe... I wouldn't own one, but I don't mind if you do.

    30 22.39%
  • What's a gun?

    4 2.99%
First 10181920212230 Last

Results 191 to 200 of 527

  1. #191
    o edward cullen! Ardea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Death of individuals is necessary to the success of the human species, so it is possible guns were created around 1,000 years ago by a Christian monk to do the work of God.

    You don't know.


    That's going a bit too far, don't you think?
    Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  2. #192
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    1,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FemmeUrbane View Post
    I am not familiar with any study with sociological or anthropological study that concludes that remorse over killing (psychologically speaking) is cultural. Would you mind providing proof?
    If you read up on the Samurai or the Native Americans, you will see that killing the enemy was considered something to be proud of.

  3. #193
    I am Sofa King!!! kendoiwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    IsTP
    Posts
    1,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FemmeUrbane View Post
    1. I'm not saying that humans don't kill. I'm saying that humans weren't meant to kill - there is a significant effect - and therefore, this effect lends itself to the idea that perhaps humans weren't meant to kill [each other].

    2. I'm not arguing about the number of casualties because it has no place in this argument. It is a side effect, and has no bearing on the original intention, and in fact BOLSTERS my point about the original intention: death.
    Nope and nope. Most killers will tell you the first one is the hardest, after that it's easy to kill.

    If they lead to less death in war they are inherently good, as war existed before guns and cost alot more lives. We get to have war and less death. That's a win win.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

    "They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

  4. #194
    o edward cullen! Ardea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    If you read up on the Samurai or the Native Americans, you will see that killing the enemy was considered something to be proud of.
    This does not answer my question:

    I am not familiar with any study with sociological or anthropological study that concludes that remorse over killing (psychologically speaking) is cultural. Would you mind providing proof?
    Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  5. #195
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FemmeUrbane View Post
    So basically, you're saying that you're not going to pay credence to my argument because you don't want to focus on abstract notions such as intent - right?

    That kinda... defeats the purpose of posting on the "Guns are Evil" vs. "Guns are good" thread... don't you think?

    I mean, we are debating about whether they are good or evil...
    It really doesn't matter if I create the most perfect argument in the history of the Universe, because you've come to your conclusions using your Feeling function, which doesn't listen to rational arguments.

    Nonetheless, I'll make one for fun.

    You judge good and evil by intent, and I judge it by results. You have no recommended course of action for society to achieve a better state. All your argument consists of is "I don't like guns because they were built to kill."

    But I say that intent is absolutely meaningless if we're concerned about good and evil things happening in the real world, which I am. You're so wrapped up in your ideals, you've forgotten things actually take place.

  6. #196
    o edward cullen! Ardea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kendoiwan View Post
    Nope and nope. Most killers will tell you the first one is the hardest, after that it's easy to kill.

    If they lead to less death in war they are inherently good, as war existed before guns and cost alot more lives. We get to have war and less death. That's a win win.
    Let's analyze these killers, shall we. Are these "mentally healthy" people? Or are they... unhealthy...? And the first one is still hard, right? Right.

    Less death is still death, hun. Sorry.
    Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  7. #197
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FemmeUrbane View Post
    Let's analyze these killers, shall we. Are these "mentally healthy" people? Or are they... unhealthy...? And the first one is still hard, right? Right.

    Less death is still death, hun. Sorry.
    Everyone dies exactly once. Net losses from guns: Zero.

  8. #198
    o edward cullen! Ardea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    It really doesn't matter if I create the most perfect argument in the history of the Universe, because you've come to your conclusions using your Feeling function, which doesn't listen to rational arguments.

    Nonetheless, I'll make one for fun.

    You judge good and evil by intent, and I judge it by results. You have no recommended course of action for society to achieve a better state. All your argument consists of is "I don't like guns because they were built to kill."

    But I say that intent is absolutely meaningless if we're concerned about good and evil things happening in the real world, which I am. You're so wrapped up in your ideals, you've forgotten things actually happen.
    I've been spewing out LOGICAL arguments for the past 2 hours. Maybe you should read my signature - ENXP - I've typed ENTP more times than I care to think of, but this is not the point. My argument is still logically sound: Guns are evil because their intent is to kill, and humans weren't meant to kill. My like or dislike has nothing to do with the intention of a gun. Nor is my argument a recommendation about what to do in the real world. It is simply an analysis of whether guns are good or evil.

    Good and evil are abstract notions. Or did you forget? Use that N!

    ((I am actually rather curious about guns. I once was somewhat fond of them... the power that they have... but then I found something else to mentally play with. However, my feelings towards guns does not change their nature...))
    Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  9. #199
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    1,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FemmeUrbane View Post
    This does not answer my question:

    I am not familiar with any study with sociological or anthropological study that concludes that remorse over killing (psychologically speaking) is cultural. Would you mind providing proof?
    Can you quote any studies proving that humans naturally feel bad about killing another person?

  10. #200
    Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FemmeUrbane View Post
    Let's analyze these killers, shall we. Are these "mentally healthy" people? Or are they... unhealthy...? And the first one is still hard, right? Right.

    Less death is still death, hun. Sorry.
    So all soldiers are mentally unstable and are built "wrong?"



Similar Threads

  1. [NF] Quote Thread: Express your feelings or thoughts with a quote
    By Sparrow in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 412
    Last Post: 12-03-2017, 12:20 AM
  2. The Random Movie Quote Thread
    By asynartetic in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 220
    Last Post: 12-02-2017, 10:31 PM
  3. Your self-perception vs the way you are perceived by others?
    By Verona in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 07-22-2017, 11:13 AM
  4. Random Quote Thread
    By Queen Kat in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-12-2011, 09:51 AM
  5. Long - the quotes of lovable larrikin, Nobel physicist Richard Feynman
    By InsatiableCuriosity in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-02-2010, 11:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO