User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should civilians be permitted to own guns?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO! Guns are EVIL and serve no good purpose.

    21 15.67%
  • YES! Guns are USEFUL and are nice to have when you need them.

    79 58.96%
  • Maybe... I wouldn't own one, but I don't mind if you do.

    30 22.39%
  • What's a gun?

    4 2.99%
First 8161718192028 Last

Results 171 to 180 of 527

  1. #171
    o edward cullen! Ardea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    Okay, so lets say you're right. How, exactly is this different from: Clubs, Bows and Arrows, Maces, Spears, Swords, ANY other weapon? (besides that it's more effective).



    Actually, humans have been killing each other for as long as we have records, and guess what? They've used whatever the most effective means of death they could come up with, almost every single time. Currently, that's guns.
    This does not change the good/evil nature of guns - or any other weapon...

    The intent is to kill - Humans weren't meant to kill ---> Guns = bad

    This is very simple philosophy...
    Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  2. #172
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FemmeUrbane View Post
    T2I!!!
    This is not necessarily correct. In some situations, the intent is intimidation. In others, it's for sport. Intent varies based on the situation and individuals involved.

    You can't define intent because it's a property of the individual, not the device.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  3. #173
    o edward cullen! Ardea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kendoiwan View Post
    Not at all, a gun has properties, it's made to shot projectiles at a high rate of speed. As if to say a bow and arrow has a better nature than a gun because it's less efficient at doing the same job? A weapon is a weapon.

    As to your previous posts (which I wasn't addressing) the advent of guns (and the subsequent improvement on the technology) have actually reduced the number of casualties in war. Less people die in wars now than they did in the days of swords, bows and arrows. Facts and stuff.
    Yes, a gun is made to shoot projectiles at a fast speed. Let's go one step further. What is the effect/intent of that? Killing/severe pain.

    Yes, a weapon is a weapon.

    A casualty is still a casualty.

    How does this change the nature of guns?
    Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  4. #174
    o edward cullen! Ardea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    This is not necessarily correct. In some situations, the intent is intimidation. In others, it's for sport. Intent varies based on the situation and individuals involved.

    You can't define intent because it's a property of the individual, not the device.
    Original intent: why it was created. This does not change.
    Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  5. #175
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FemmeUrbane View Post
    I examined the intention - death/severely injure. Humans aren't meant to do this, or else there would not be a psychological repercussion. Intention is analyzed quite thoroughly. Case closed.
    Humans aren't "meant" to be violent? I take it you believe humans have an externally defined purpose.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  6. #176
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FemmeUrbane View Post
    This does not change the good/evil nature of guns - or any other weapon...

    The intent is to kill - Humans weren't meant to kill ---> Guns = bad

    This is very simple philosophy...
    And you say this isn't a contest between idealism and pragmatism?

  7. #177
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    1,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FemmeUrbane View Post
    Not so:
    If a cop kills a crook to prevent him from killing a child, do you call it an evil act?
    If we were meant to kill - we wouldn't have this psychological repercussion. Killing each other is not what we were made for. Evolution and darwinism and creationism all kinda echo this sentiment based on utility.
    [/quote]

    Remorse over killing is cultural. In the past, there has been many societies that celebrate the killing of an enemy.
    Last edited by Not_Me; 01-05-2009 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Mistake

  8. #178
    o edward cullen! Ardea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I don't see the difference between guns and knives, clubs, swords, spears, strangle-wire, toilets, cyanide, etc beyond the superior effectiveness of a firearm. Humans are animals. Animals that eat meat. We were required to kill other animals for food, clothing, mating prowess, everything. Tools designed for killing were required and created, and the more effective the better.
    I see what you're saying.

    Something about the nature of guns gives me the feeling that guns were originally created for meat...
    Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  9. #179
    o edward cullen! Ardea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Humans aren't "meant" to be violent? I take it you believe humans have an externally defined purpose.
    Go back to my psychological effects argument.
    Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  10. #180
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FemmeUrbane View Post
    Original intent: why it was created. This does not change.
    If intent does not change, if it's a property of the object at its creation, then the intent of almost every weapon manufactured today is to turn a monetary profit.

    As I said before, intent is not a property of the device, it's a property of the individual.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Similar Threads

  1. [NF] Quote Thread: Express your feelings or thoughts with a quote
    By Sparrow in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 412
    Last Post: 12-03-2017, 12:20 AM
  2. The Random Movie Quote Thread
    By asynartetic in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 220
    Last Post: 12-02-2017, 10:31 PM
  3. Your self-perception vs the way you are perceived by others?
    By Verona in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 07-22-2017, 11:13 AM
  4. Random Quote Thread
    By Queen Kat in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-12-2011, 09:51 AM
  5. Long - the quotes of lovable larrikin, Nobel physicist Richard Feynman
    By InsatiableCuriosity in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-02-2010, 11:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO