User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should civilians be permitted to own guns?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO! Guns are EVIL and serve no good purpose.

21 15.67%
  • YES! Guns are USEFUL and are nice to have when you need them.

79 58.96%
  • Maybe... I wouldn't own one, but I don't mind if you do.

30 22.39%
  • What's a gun?

4 2.99%
First 6141516171826 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Yes. Since the dawn of man has a tiger loomed inside man..the flame that has always been lighten, in which it feels a need to kill anything that does not agree with it, or is different. It's our instict. We have become aware, and have tamed this beast, but it is still there. Without this, the world would come to an end. Charles Darwin proposed the Survival of Fittest, which also goes along with the end result of death. We're not all meant to live on this earth..
    I doubt this is true. Violence, yes. Killing, no. Taking of life has a SEVERE psychological impact on the human. If humans were meant to kill - like a tiger - this would not happen. We may have developed a way to desensitize us - video games, guns, missiles, gore-y movies, etc - and yet, killing still has this impact!

You don't see tiger cubs crying, do you?
    Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by FemmeUrbane View Post
    There is something that seems so wrong to me about an object whose purpose is taking life. The objective behind the gun is death, or at the very least SEVERE pain.

It doesn't matter how it's used (the situations/scenarios)... the objective/purpose remains the same.

This does not seem like a power that we, as humans, should have. It seems so unnatural to me.

The idea of keeping guns "out of the wrong hands" seems a bit convoluted, too. So far, this has failed.
    This is a contest between idealism and pragmatism. Because while I recognize and appreciate the notion of World Peace, it's so impossible that I don't give it a second thought, and instead ponder more achievable goals, like self protection, and winning wars (Which usually stops with the pondering).

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    This is a contest between idealism and pragmatism. Because while I recognize and appreciate the notion of World Peace, it's so impossible that I don't give it a second thought, and instead ponder more achievable goals, like self protection, and winning wars (Which usually stops with the pondering).
    That (idealism vs. pragmatism) doesn't change whether guns are inherently good or evil.

I see their utility, but it does not change their very nature.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    IsTP

That (idealism vs. pragmatism) doesn't change whether guns are inherently good or evil.

I see their utility, but it does not change their very nature.
    Inanimate objects do not have a "nature". They have properties. This is akin to saying nuclear energy is inherently bad because we figured out how to make stuff go boom with it. Cars don't have a nature and neither do guns.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

MBTI
    INTj

There is something foreign/alien/un-human about sterile shooting - lack of bloody hands, level of physical work, physical contact, etc. If you are to take someone's life, there should be a consequence on the one that lives. To take this away is to make us robotic, no?
    If your spouse was trying to save you from a 300 lb deranged killer, would you rather have him fight with his bare hands or a shotgun?

MBTI
    IsTP

[youtube=eUwJ8WcZ6RY]I gave you power[/youtube]
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by kendoiwan View Post
    Inanimate objects do not have a "nature". They have properties. This is akin to saying nuclear energy is inherently bad because we figured out how to make stuff go boom with it. Cars don't have a nature and neither do guns.
    That's semantics.

Objects do have an ORIGINAL intention. See my previous posts.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    If your spouse was trying to save you from a 300 lb deranged killer, would you rather have him fight with his bare hands or a shotgun?
    See my previous posts. Scenarios do not change the nature/intention of a gun.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

That's semantics.

Objects do have an ORIGINAL intention. See my previous posts.
    Define this intent.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ISTP

There is a certain amount of intimacy that I think should remain in this field (war).
    I believe that's pretty much gone. (personally, I don't think it's much of a bad thing). Since at this point, if we feel like it, we can have a guy sitting in a trailer in Nevada fly a UAV in Iraq and kill people through his computer screen. Not to mention all the bombs/air-launched weapons, artillery, missles, mines, and everything else that kills people.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%