User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should civilians be permitted to own guns?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO! Guns are EVIL and serve no good purpose.

21 15.67%
  • YES! Guns are USEFUL and are nice to have when you need them.

79 58.96%
  • Maybe... I wouldn't own one, but I don't mind if you do.

30 22.39%
  • What's a gun?

4 2.99%
First 8910111220 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    The poll made with this thread is heavily biased.

Freely owning a gun (or not) is not a religious question.
    I'm against it not because I'd say it is "EVIL" (that's for Fi users, and I'm not one of them), but because those weapons are dangerous
    I guess "personal responsibility" is not all the rage where you live, huh?

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    I guess "personal responsibility" is not all the rage where you live, huh?
    I'd answer that what I've read here so far doesn't make Gun lovers appear especially responsible or mature.

But as a global opinion, I'd say that I do not consider most ordinary people to be very responsable or mature, and especially those who display such blatant symptoms.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INTJ

I'd answer that what I've read here so far doesn't make Gun lovers appear especially responsible or mature.

Well, if you base your opinion on someone's mere interest in owning a gun, then yeah, it's no surprise gun owners don't appear "responsible or mature" to you

But as a global opinion, I'd say that I do not consider most ordinary people to be very responsable or mature, and especially those who display such blatant symptoms.
    So you think you are smarter than most people and think you know what's good for them (which is fine with me, as long as you are not in the position of power). But I personally detest the concept of "intellectual elitism" coming from the government officials. As far as I am concerned, the government should have minimal intervention in people's lives.

MBTI
    INXP

The poll made with this thread is heavily biased.

Freely owning a gun (or not) is not a religious question.
    I'm against it not because I'd say it is "EVIL" (that's for Fi users, and I'm not one of them), but because those weapons are dangerous, and because I find that gun fetish is a psychological unbalance, a disturbing one.
    I agree, wording guns as a moral question is quite quite different to a safety one.

MBTI
    ISTP

because I find that gun fetish is a psychological unbalance, a disturbing one.
    I find that being afraid of inanimate objects, because they have the ability to hurt people, when in the wrong hands, is a disturbing opinion.

And I find that most people who are trying to explain here it's only for self-defense, it's only because their country is larger and less densely populated (1), it's only for hunting... (bla bla bla bla bla... :zzz are only trying to hide what's obvious.
    So. What's obvious? I like my guns. Shooting targets is quite enjoyable, and it's a big hobby of mine, and always has been. I like the concept of self-defense as well. I don't hunt, mostly because I'm too lazy and impatient to spend hours hiding in a tree in the woods.

(1) It's even funnier when it's someone who lives in New Jersey that says it!
    Hilarious. However, even with our "most densely populated in the USA" status, we still have a LOT of wilderness in this state. Especially in the northwest and inland southern areas of the state, and I know plenty of people that hunt.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    Hilarious. However, even with our "most densely populated in the USA" status, we still have a LOT of wilderness in this state. Especially in the northwest and inland southern areas of the state, and I know plenty of people that hunt.
    It is hilarious, it really is!
    For a moment, you gave us the illusion you were a lone cowboy stranded into eastern suburbia!

"Wilderness" is a very subjective notion, you know. In fact, I teach that. I would recommand that you read Simon Schama's book "Landscape and Memory", and especially the chapter dealing with the invention of the West, and what was the true story behind the Yosemite National Park (for instance), since John Muir pretended to have discovered the area.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ISTP

For a moment, you gave us the illusion you were a lone cowboy stranded into eastern suburbia!
    Sure. My property backs up to a river and a large quantity of forest....that is a couple miles thick, and has lots of wildlife.

In the southern part of the state, there are lots of areas where you can drive for multiple hours and not encounter much besides an occasional, very small town, and in the northwest, much of it is under state protection, and there is lots of protected wilderness where hunting is allowed.

"Wilderness" is a very subjective notion, you know. In fact, I teach that. I would recommand that you read Simon Schama's book "Landscape and Memory", and especially the chapter dealing with the invention of the West, and what was the true story behind the Yosemite National Park (for instance), since John Muir pretended to have discovered the area.
    Okay. I'm using "Wilderness", to mean an area with very few people, and very large quantities of land in "wild" form.

Meanwhile, we're still getting away from topic. I still would like to know, since you STILL have not answered it, how exactly "guns" cannot be liked from a collection/practice use/engineering/craftsmanship perspective, and how liking them is some terrible mental disorder in your opinion, while people do the same things with swords, knives, bows/arrows and all sorts of other weapons and aren't looked down upon/thought of badly by people like you for it.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    I still would like to know, since you STILL have not answered it, how exactly "guns" cannot be liked from a collection/practice use/engineering/craftsmanship perspective, and how liking them is some terrible mental disorder in your opinion, while people do the same things with swords, knives, bows/arrows and all sorts of other weapons and aren't looked down upon/thought of badly by people like you for it.
    Because his bias is justified in his mind.

I think it's silly to dislike a weapon, but like others. If you're against a gun, you just as easily should be against knives, swords, bows, etc. They all have the same purpose.

A weapon is a weapon in the end.

To think that someone cannot look at something with genuine appreciation, and have fun and be satisfied going to ranges or hunting is ridiculous. Self-defense CAN be a reason to own a gun, but not the only.

What is ludacris though, is to suggest everyone that likes a weapon is mentally unstable.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Sniffles

Well I believe in an armed citizenry. And this notion is not unknown to Europe. Not only Switzerland, but throughout European history this notion held sway. Heck it was from Europe we received this concept.

Take the Medieval examples of the Fryd in Anglo-Saxon England or the Communal armies of Northern Italy. Then the notion of national defense based upon an armed citizenry held considerable sway in France since the Revolution.

Anyways, my two cents on the issue.

MBTI
    INTj

I like to have the option of gun ownership if I ever feel it's necessary for self defense. It's a great equalizer against predators of all species.