User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    If people really need to be controlled to the extent where certain safety procedures become mandatory then is the whole democracy idea really just a façade?
    Democracy is a ridiculous notion to begin with which is why it is only ever implemented in such as manner as to serve the needs of the upper middle class.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrus View Post
    Democracy is a ridiculous notion to begin with which is why it is only ever implemented in such as manner as to serve the needs of the upper middle class.
    Cynic

Democracy is based upon the assumption that a million men are wiser than one man. How's that again? I missed something.

Autocracy is based upon the assumption that one man is wiser than a million men. Let's play that over again, too. Who decides?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Guns aren't necessary and cause harm.
    Naked assertion.

If guns are categorically unnecessary and harmful, we should disarm our police and military immediately.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Naked assertion.

If guns are categorically unnecessary and harmful, we should disarm our police and military immediately.
    One shoots your own civillians and the other shoots your own allies. I concur, this is an excellent suggestion!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Naked assertion.

I wouldn't have a problem with that.
    But lets not turn this into another gun thread. It was just an example of UK public policy.

Personally? Yes, but I'm trying to be objective.
    Why? And you failed because your bias is apparent.

Exactly.
    That was a question.

That's odd.. I don't recall ever being asked. All we ever get asked is if we'd like the laws published in blue or red and even then only 40 odd percent of people actually think the difference is worth voting on!!
    Labour is more interventionist than Conservative, and we all seem to hate the blues more than the reds or they wouldn't still be in power.

back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Why? And you failed because your bias is apparent.
    I am trying to maintain objectivity not the appearance of objectivity. If I were to try for the latter my avatar would be pure sarcasm.
    That was a question.
    An precisely the right one. It's the one I should have asked to sum up my questioning.. hence I said "exactly" to agree with you.
    Labour is more interventionist than Conservative, and we all seem to hate the blues more than the reds or they wouldn't still be in power.
    That's a very current bias. I believe that the blues are just as invasive, just in different areas.

Besides we always like the other side. Their promises smell so much sweeter... and so the cycle is perpetuated. I swear it's absolute frickin genius to set it in law that any party which doesn't take adequate steps to meet their promises should be held accountable and imprisoned where necessary. Why control businesses and try to prevent them duping the public for their own ends but not do the same with politicians who deal in far larger sums and have a wider national impact?
    back.
    Ewww.. what have you been eating?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

You have misread my question....twice! Perhaps it was ill-phrased. Let me try again.
    You are suggesting that state interference is anti-democratic, are you not? (Although you also seem to be against democracy in general so I'm not entirely sure what your point is...).
    My question is: if we have put these people into power via the democratic process to make decisions on our behalf (and I'm sure you're not advocating referenda on every single issue) then how can this be anti-democratic?
    And what is the alternative?

I believe that the blues are just as invasive, just in different areas.
    You do? How so?

Ewww.. what have you been eating?
    Tongue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

You have misread my question....twice! Perhaps it was ill-phrased. Let me try again.
    You are suggesting that state interference is anti-democratic, are you not? (Although you also seem to be against democracy in general so I'm not entirely sure what your point is...).
    My question is: if we have put these people into power via the democratic process to make decisions on our behalf (and I'm sure you're not advocating referenda on every single issue) then how can this be anti-democratic?
    And what is the alternative?
    I've addressed this before though... you can elect someone on the principle that say they support funding students only to find that they do a 180 and do the complete opposite. Democracy is not about choice, only the illusion of choice. If there was real democracy then you could oust the government for being lying *****s.

EDIT -
    Just for clarity, the idea of suing them for being lying *****s is the alternative I present.
    You do? How so?
    Err anti union actions spring to mind. As do the plethora of taxes and pro corporation attitudes.
    Tongue.
    Eww... not that one surely... it's had like deep fried mars bars and stuff!!

Sniffles

Spot on. Just what I was thinking.

Glad you posted that lot. At the very least it's nice to have a name for a theory that other's can recognise.
    Well that's the interesting part: subsidiarity is but ONE name to describe this basic concept. Other commonly used terms are Federalism, Decentralism, Localism, Libetarian Municipalism, among many others. And this basic concept exists across the political spectrum; it's not restricted to the Left or the Right - they both have their variations of this concept.

Absolute rot. If that's random and worthless then quit trying to plan and make such useful and insightful posts. The detritus is much more interesting
    Awwww.....

My only regret is not having enough time or energy to more fully articulate these things.

MBTI
    INTj

Should governments really get this involved in day to day living?

If people really need to be controlled to the extent where certain safety procedures become mandatory then is the whole democracy idea really just a façade?
    The state maintains a safety net. If too many people lands on it, the cost becomes prohibitive. This makes preemptive restraints a necessity.