User Tag List

View Poll Results: What would you think of a North American Union?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would LOVE it, bring it on!

0 0%
  • I would like it.

1 3.70%
  • I wouldn't know what to think about it.

3 11.11%
  • I would be disturbed by it.

7 25.93%
  • I would be deeply disturbed by it.

16 59.26%
  • I hate polls

0 0%
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Oh, are they separate countries?

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Oh, are they separate countries?
    Well, on paper they still are.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I wonder how Canadians would view the merging with United States? Somehow I think many of them would find the idea as distressing as many in the United States find the idea of merging with Mexico but maybe the reasons would be different.
    I can tell you how I'd feel...

And I'm not the least bit patriotic about Canada. However, there are a few things I don't want Canada to start emulating... and one would be the US in general since there are so many issues that I dislike there compared to here.

(Image is from the Seattle WTO riots)

heart on fire

Rightfully so PT. I think your feelings are perfectly valid.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Thank you for offering some real discussion of the issue. That makes you a fairly rare person in my experience. So many times when an issue has not been talked about much in the media, people won't discuss that issue. You bring up excellent points on these issues.

I wonder how Canadians would view the merging with United States? Somehow I think many of them would find the idea as distressing as many in the United States find the idea of merging with Mexico but maybe the reasons would be different.
    Thank you. I've had to listen to my uncle talk about the issues German's experience in their unification and read about it in Der Spiegel.

Question: What would be the Canadian's objections? I'm curious how they view the states.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by sdalek View Post
    Question: What would be the Canadian's objections? I'm curious how they view the states.
    I don't think you want to know. There's a reason they always stick Canadian flags to their backpacks when they travel, and it isn't patriotism.

Oberon

Heck, some Americans stick Canadian flags on their gear when they travel, for the exact same reason.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

What type is Canada?

Come to think of it, what type is Mexico?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by sdalek View Post

One of those articles that I previously posted expressed the concern about the United States and its miliatry being merged or given more powers in Canada.

But for the most part the articles are saying that most Canadians do not as yet even know about their SPP, just as most United States citizens do not.

Canadians completely unaware of looming North American Union

"Water will be the ‘issue’ of this century, as more than 25 states in the U.S. are currently in desperate need. Where do you think they will get the water they need?

The United States is already guaranteed 60 percent of our natural gas resources from NAFTA, which mean that even during emergencies when we need energy, we will have to import it, while we are forced to export gas to the U.S. This is just one example of how Canada is being shortchanged, and it’s only going to get worse.

Why has there been absolutely NO public consultation on the biggest issue (North American Union) facing Canadians since Confederation? ...The ratification of the SPP, and the emergence of the North American Union have been organized entirely by government committees and private enterprise..."

MBTI
    ISTP

One of those articles that I previously posted expressed the concern about the United States and its miliatry being merged or given more powers in Canada.

Kinda use to that stuff. The US tends to do whatever it wants - it's been this way for a long time. It all lies in the fundamental political issues that the US faces - lobbying the government to abuse and break trade agreements for channelling money to non-political groups. Those kinds of people then get transferred to the political body, except now they aren't bound to market forces and simply take whatever isn't nailed down.

Same complaints as most of the world, really, except we benefit from the trade anyway.

I think another major difference is that Canadians, as a whole, were too polite to even answer the question. I know I typed something up then decided it served no real purpose. In a way... that highlights the difference between Canadians and Americans - and there is a big difference. I have family in both, with the same upbringing (in Canada originally). I don't associate with the 'retrained' American family very often anymore due to not being comfortable around their value system... I simply find them abrasive now, which I didn't 15-20 years ago. Same thing I found when travelling in the US, something I no longer do. It's not everywhere, but enough that it's easily noticable and not so comfortable.