User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you trade race, sex, or nationality?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trade race

2 9.52%
  • Trade nationality

3 14.29%
  • Trade gender/sex

3 14.29%
  • Trade sexual orientation

0 0%
  • Wouldn't trade anything

13 61.90%
  • Trade ethnicity

0 0%
First 123 Last

Thread: Trading Places

MBTI
    ENTP

Trade permanently? Naw, I'm good.

Although, my long term plan includes expatriation, so I guess I'm gonna have to vote for "nationality" (or is nationality meant as ethnicity?)

Enneagram
    1w2

I'm wondering why people aren't trading? Are people afraid to be something else? No one is curious about what it's like to be an "other?"

It doesn't have to be permanent, but it's has to be long enough for you to really get into the other's mental space and understand their experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by 563 740 View Post
    Trade permanently? Naw, I'm good.

Although, my long term plan includes expatriation, so I guess I'm gonna have to vote for "nationality" (or is nationality meant as ethnicity?)
    Nationality means your country. Globally, what country you're from says more about you than your ethnicity. I think ethnicity is important on a national level.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I'm wondering why people aren't trading? Are people afraid to be something else? No one is curious about what it's like to be an "other?"
    Well, if it is just about that, I am game for anything. I just consider it "exploration," and that is who and what I am, I have realized -- go into new territory (mental, spiritual, physical, wherever), see what it's like, then bring back a report so that others can understand.

Anything is interesting, if it is new and not yet explored.

I thought the "Black and White" reality show was interesting, but it did not go far enough and was a little contrived. But there was SOME authenticity there, in terms of what it might mean to be a different color going into the same parts of town and how one was accepted and viewed and dealt with.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Similar to what other people posted, I would be interested in exchanging attributes on a temporary basis, but not permanently. I've grown quite accustomed to being the human that I am.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

Enneagram
    1w2

MBTI
    ESFJ

No. I wouldn't trade places with anyone else in the world.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTj

I would only trade my financial situation, but unfortunately, that's not an option.

Being a white, straight, woman from the U.S. isn't that tough. Having a penis is tempting though.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    Having a penis is tempting though.
    Fun, too!

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

I'd permanently exchange nationality with anything in western europe or the UK, assuming that included growing up there as well. There's so many things right with America (overall there's more right with it than Europe), but culturally we are superficial imbeciles want of art and philosophy whereas the Euros have this mastered. The history of America's growth, industry and politics is a history of European philosophy, and it'd be well worth it just for the fact that I wouldn't be considered such a Freak because I like to read Nietzsche and Aristotle instead of the bible.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    I'd permanently exchange nationanility with anything in western europe or the UK, assuming that included growing up there as well. There's so many things right with America (overall there's more right with it than Europe), but culturally we are superficial imbeciles want of art and philosophy whereas the Euros have this mastered. The history of America's growth, industry and politics is a history of European philosophy, and it'd be well worth it just for the fact that I wouldn't be considered such a Freak because I like to read Nietzsche and Aristotle instead of the bible.
    Considered a freak for that? Really? I had to read Aristotle and Nietzche in college. I imagine a good portion of other college-educated people in the United States have, too.