User Tag List

12311 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 323

  1. #1
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,670

    Default American values and European values

    From what I see we need this thread.

    There is a lot of talking about USA values and European values in the last few years since the cultures are drifting apart in the last 5 years.

    So this thread is for talking about those differences and what way are we different. And topic should cover all aspects of this differences.

    To tell you the truth many aspects of American culture do not make much sense. (at least to me)

    Things like:

    Gun culture

    So strong impact of religion upon society

    Supporting of totally free market

    Denial of almost everything that has something to do with environment

    How can someone weight over 250 Ibs? I trully don't understand this one.
    Here if you are over 200Ibs you are fat pig unless you are really tall.
    But in US there are people over 300,400 or even heavier than that.
    I can't believe that a person can't see that they are getting fat and do something about it.
    I mean you can't get that much fat over night.



    This are just some general chapters and there are many small ones.

    Also the other side is free to ask questions back.(that is the whole point)

    As for Canadians , Australians or others they are welcome here as well.

  2. #2
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    But in US there are people over 300,400 or oven more
    Oven everyone over 400lbs?

    Obesity + food shortage solved in one.

    I like this guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  3. #3
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    From what I see we need this thread.

    There is a lot of talking about USA values and European values in the last few years since the cultures are drifting apart in the last 5 years.
    The cultures have been drifting apart for a lot longer than that.

    One major difference is the American inclination towards individualism and autonomy, and the European tendency towards communitarianism. Part of that has to do with the differing impact of classical liberal and socialist ideals, which in turn had their origins in the different societal make-ups. Europe (generally speaking) developed in the context of the culturally cohesive nation-state, and with a feudal tradition resulting in relatively stark divides between classes. The United States developed as a state-nation comprised of diverse immigrants, without a feudal tradition (with the significant exception of slavery). Our political institutions reinforced these initial differences, with our system emphasizing a divided, federalized government with a balance of powers leading to robust competition between multiple and dynamic political coalitions, while European systems emphasized centralization and societal harmony through elite consensus (sort of a political corporatism).
    Last edited by lowtech redneck; 12-14-2008 at 03:33 PM. Reason: change wording

  4. #4
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Oven everyone over 400lbs?

    Obesity + food shortage solved in one.
    Hmm. As solutions go, that one appears rather final.

    Now there's a European value for you...!

  5. #5
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Hmm. As solutions go, that one appears rather final.

    Now there's a European value for you...!
    Haha! Touch !

    Only 4 posts and already this thread got Godwined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  6. #6
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    The cultures have been drifting apart for a lot longer than that.

    One major difference is the American inclination towards individualism and autonomy, and the European tendency towards communitarianism. Part of that has to do with the differing impact of classical liberal and socialist ideals, which in turn had their origins in the different societal make-ups. Europe (generally speaking) developed in the context of the culturally cohesive nation-state, and with a feudal tradition resulting in relatively stark divides between classes. The United States developed as a state-nation comprised of diverse immigrants, without a feudal tradition (with the significant exception of slavery). Our political institutions reinforced these initial differences, with our system emphasizing a divided, federalized government with a balance of powers leading to robust competition between multiple and dynamic political coalitions, while European systems emphasized centralization and societal harmony through elite consensus (sort of a political corporatism).
    I know that they are drifhting apart for much longer time but in the last 5 years it is quite observable and Europe is more and more homogeneous then it was before.

    But if you have individual society would not that mean that this could raise problems?

    I am not saying that USSR level of controle is desirable but this seems like to much to obtain the most desirable outcome. (or at least they act like that)

    When you say in US stronger goverment people usually start to think about something drastical but they don't see everything between.

  7. #7
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Europe is more and more homogeneous then it was before.
    Qu?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Anja's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    2,967

    Default

    Pretty soon this question won't matter. We'll all be rappin' in Spanish, and thinking in Arabic.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

  9. #9
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Only 4 posts and already this thread got Godwined!
    Well, one could argue that it happened when someone mentioned putting people in ovens.

  10. #10
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    look, german beer got 5 out of 5 stars in the NCAP crash test

    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 38
    Last Post: 10-18-2014, 06:26 AM
  2. Americans, Soviets, and mathematics.
    By Magic Poriferan in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-12-2009, 07:30 AM
  3. American Society And Types
    By mortabunt in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-25-2009, 11:04 AM
  4. Transatlantic Economic Integration Between USA and European Union
    By heart in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-19-2008, 08:22 AM
  5. Customer service traits and values
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-05-2008, 11:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO