User Tag List

First 789101119 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Gun culture
    You need to look at our history. Being formed out of rebellion left a sense that citizenry needed to have the means to rebel against an oppressive government, if it were ever needed again. Add in all the tales about the "Wild West", and the still strong population of hunters in this country, and you have "Gun Culture."

To put it simply, they have been considered an "inalienable right" for the last 232 years, at this point, that mentality is a part of the population. We also have an extremely strong gun lobby in the country, in the form of the NRA, which politicians don't like to offend. Our higher violent crime stems less from guns than it does from gangs fighting over "turf" to sell drugs on, due to our government's stupid stance on them. (Plus, we have always been a bit more violent than Europe).

You should also realize, that unlike in parts of Europe, there are still vast areas of near wilderness here as well. We aren't that densely populated, especially compared to Europe. The continental USA has roughly half the density of Europe, and Alaska is many orders of magnitude less.

So strong impact of religion upon society
    For a handful of things, it has a large impact and is very polarizing. (Abortion, Gay Rights...). However, overall, although a very large portion of the population practices religion, it does not have that large of an impact on laws or normal life.

Denial of almost everything that has something to do with environment
    Do not mistake the f***ing idiotic administration of the past 8 years with the population. People are concerned with the environment, and we ARE investing/installing a lot of "clean" technology. As for cars.....they are needed here, not an optional thing as they are in parts of your continent. The large SUVs for everyone was ridiculous, and gas prices have been correcting that nicely. I suggest you go look up the man who is likely to be our new energy secretary. I think you'll like what you see.

How can someone weight over 250 Ibs? I trully don't understand this one.
    Here if you are over 200Ibs you are fat pig unless you are really tall.
    But in US there are people over 300,400 or even heavier than that.
    I can't believe that a person can't see that they are getting fat and do something about it.
    I mean you can't get that much fat over night.
    No idea. I guess you eat a lot and don't care. Personally, I'm over 6ft and can't get my weight above 150lbs... What exactly should we do about it? Force people to eat less?

Now that your questions are done...time for something I've noticed. Europe tends to like the government to have a larger role, while we tend to want the government to have a smaller role in things.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

America birthed the Internet. Debate is over now.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Dudes, if you think American and European values are somehow diverging, you need to become aware of values other than Western ones. Poor Victor bleeds his heart out to show you how Western ideas of liberty are under assault from terrorists and you guys are whining about taxes and guns n shit.... wtf

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Tim. Berners. Lee.

You're welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Tim. Berners. Lee.

You're welcome.
    Not only that;

Tommy Flowers almost single handedly made the world's first programmable electronic computer, and which was also the most important computer by far; Without a programmable electronic computer there would be no internet anyway.

I really can't type when I am a sleep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Yeah, Bach's ours too. Oh, and Beethoven. Did I mention Mozart?
    OH PLEASE!

Thelonious Monk
    Jerry Lee Lewis

I rest my case.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I don't think the Europeans want this discussion to tilt towards music. For the last 100 or so years, we've been pwning.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Hey, we might be big ol' fat gun-totin' gas-guzzlin' Jesus freaks, but we invented rock and roll ...

(just being playful -- I didn't mean to kill the thread!)

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I don't think the Europeans want this discussion to tilt towards music. For the last 100 or so years, we've been pwning.
    They've got good stuff too. In addition to the classic rock out of Britan, I happen to really like the German NDH stuff (google it), along with all the various forms of metal and industrial/electronic stuff that has come out of Europe.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Radiohead - we cannot claim this perfection, but it couldn't have come about if America had not invented rock and roll, what do you think?