User Tag List

First 5678917 Last

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Fuck the English!
    Well that settles it.....she's French!

What's this got to do with the superiority of European culture, pray tell?
    I don't know, what does stealing oil have to do with this topic?

Sniffles

Russia is part of Europe! (the best bits anyway)

Geographically maybe; but in terms of its self-identity it has set itself up against Europe actually - with the exception of the Petrine period.

Russia is part of Europe! (the best bits anyway)

True. US doesn't look upon Russia as Europe.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy
    Geographically maybe; but in terms of its self-identity it has set itself up against Europe actually - with the exception of the Petrine period.
    Yeah, but she's so friendly with the States, huh?

Back to the topic: Why Europeans pwn Yanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Do Europeans even reproduce anymore? They will be obsolete in 10 years anyway, so I say we let them have some glory.

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I am not sure about that. I live near geographic centre of Europe(your version of it) and my first language is quite similar to Russian.

Russia had a military pact with many European countries against other countries for decades.

Both sides are traditionaly white.

I would say that Russia is part Europe.

Sniffles

^ Yeah, but she's so friendly with the States, huh?
    That has nothing to do with Russia's self-conception of itself being a seperate civilization from Europe - rooted in its ties to Byzantium as opposed to Rome(the basis of Western European civilization).

Back to the topic: Why Europeans pwn Yanks!
    There seems to be a parallel to how Greeks maintained a smug attitude towards Romans as a way to compensate the fact that their golden age of culture had already passed and were now a province of the Roman Empire.

Europe's golden age of culture has also long passed. Oswald Spengler noted that Europe passed from culture into civilization around the 18th and 19th centuries. And Europe pretty much destroyed itself and whatever was left of culture in both World Wars; and Europe was depended on America for its defense against the Soviet Union.

Speaking of Spengler, he along with other noted European intellectuals noted the great quality of culture in the Antebellum South and how it was more than equal to any European culture.

Perhaps I need to pull out some Tocquveille as well.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Europe's golden age of culture has also long passed. Oswald Spengler noted that Europe passed from culture into civilization around the 18th and 19th centuries. And Europe pretty much destroyed itself and whatever was left of culture in both World Wars; and Europe was depended on America for its defense against the Soviet Union.

Speaking of Spengler, he along with other noted European intellectuals noted the great quality of culture in the Antebellum South and how it was more than equal to any European culture.

Perhaps I need to pull out some Tocquveille as well.
    Ach! You're all over the place man! We are talking about contemporary cultural issues. See OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Who can afford to devote their entire business to growing food to give away? Could you?

You probably buy food every week that you selfishly eat, yourself, rather than ship off to sub-Saharan Africa. How dare you!
    It's the same with the livestock owners. First the price of corn went so high that people let their livestock starve to death. Now the ethanol companies are going broke and farmers are taking it pretty hard since many of them contract out their corn to secure getting a good price for it.

The family farm has all but been destroyed.

Actually, Oberon, I try to buy as much produce as I am able from local people and I still do a lot of canning. The "old ways" that this generation sneers at, ya know.

That means when famine is world-wide, friendly neighbors will come knocking on my door. Anja's "free" groccery store. And I'm non-violent, dang it. Gonna be stylishly slim, I suppose.

But when I was a wee thing I gave my precious pennies to UNICEF and for the missions in Africa and now I wish I had them all back for all the good it did. Think I'll be needing them shortly to buy a hangun!
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Sniffles

Ach! You're all over the place man! We are talking about contemporary cultural issues. See OP.
    So what was the reference to the Sistine Chapel?

Anways....in that case, then this thread must really be a sad joke. As one colleague of mine stated: European pop music makes rap sound like Bach.