User Tag List

First 23313233

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I am sorry if I wasn't clear enough. The actual question is: "Why you are not comfortable funding this ?".

If someone else wants to answer this question I will listen.
    This is something that pisses me off too. (I haven't read through most of this thread so forgive me if it touches on points already made.)

Overall taxes in the US are not too much different from taxes in Europe. Why is it that European countries can provide free health care and often quite a few other social benefits that the US cannot afford to provide its citizens?

It is because the US is providing military protection for the majority of the world. Not only does this mean that Americans are paying a lot of extra money so that other people can be protected, but this also means that Europeans get a free service that is fairly expensive. Consequently, European countries can give out a bunch of free social benefits and then convince themselves that they are smarter and better than Americans, because they have figured out how to give out all these social benefits.

The European way is not intrinsically better than the American way. The US is simply handing out a bunch of free stuff (via the military). The benefit the US gets is that it gets to stroke it's ego and talk about how powerful it is. That's a very expensive way to stroke an ego. The cost is basically that we have no public health care. Almost every other country is getting something for free and Americans are paying for it.

:steam::steam:
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    This is something that pisses me off too. (I haven't read through most of this thread so forgive me if it touches on points already made.)

Overall taxes in the US are not too much different from taxes in Europe. Why is it that European countries can provide free health care and often quite a few other social benefits that the US cannot afford to provide its citizens?

It is because the US is providing military protection for the majority of the world. Not only does this mean that Americans are paying a lot of extra money so that other people can be protected, but this also means that Europeans get a free service that is fairly expensive. Consequently, European countries can give out a bunch of free social benefits and then convince themselves that they are smarter and better than Americans, because they have figured out how to give out all these social benefits.

The European way is not intrinsically better than the American way. The US is simply handing out a bunch of free stuff (via the military). The benefit the US gets is that it gets to stroke it's ego and talk about how powerful it is. That's a very expensive way to stroke an ego. The cost is basically that we have no public health care. Almost every other country is getting something for free and Americans are paying for it.

You talk as if military supremacy didn't bring any other benefits to the US. It's not just a ego thing...it's actual power (to control). That's why the US can afford to invade a middle eastern country on their own without justifying their actions (or justifying them in a very lame manner).

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post

What?? Americans are paying for their own security, not for the one of Europe. I hardly see how the US only gets the benefit of stroking it's ego and Europe gets free protection. America needs this "great" army to protect itself. If by this Europe gets some advantages, that's how it is but don't make it sound like America is doing a great favor to Europe.