User Tag List

First 2230313233 Last

I see.

Yes, there are many unsung British engineers/scientists during that period including:
    Oliver Heaviside - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (who I consider to be the best Electrical Engineer of all time)
    William Huggins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jocelyn Bell Burnell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It happens quite often, that a scientist working outside the mainstream is the ones who make the great discoveries.

Still, I would not call Colossus the most important computer of all. Because even the Babage adder can be considered an early computer...and many would argue that Von Neumann's or Hoff's are really the turning ponts that formed computing as it is today.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    The US is pretty religious, but it's nothing like Saudi Arabia. I'd put the US in the middle of the road, worldwide. Europe is one extreme. Islamic countries are the other.
    I think you missed the "industrial countries" part in my sentence.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post

Do you not find it strange that Eastern (conservative) Europe, has legal protections that the U.S. doesn't?
    There are "rule of law countries" like US and Europe, and there are other countries where there is a big discontent between what is written and what is done. USSR had a human rights constitution and even had "A Constitution day", but it that shit was a joke. If you received a notice that said "Comrade Binary, you are cordially invited to attend a court hearing" it meant your ass is going to prison - everybody knew that, and only a psychotic party loyalist would deny it.

Eastern Europe may be less uptight about heterosexual activities, but homophobia is rampant over there. And you don't even have to take my word for it. Just read up on what happened to people marching in gay pride parades in Moscow.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post

Eastern Europe may be less uptight about heterosexual activities, but homophobia is rampant over there. And you don't even have to take my word for it. Just read up on what happened to people marching in gay pride parades in Moscow.
    Since I am from that part of the world I can confirm Edgars argument.

Basicly, the further you go towards the east the environment becomes more and more homophobic.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    No, we need taxes, just more accountability. We have troops in over 130 countries and I am not comfortable paying for that.

I am against a lot of public programs, but truth be told, we need roads and bridges. We need to pay our government officials and judges. Why on earth should we pay for things the government doesn't need?

Taxes are not free will. If you want the benefit of living in this country, you should pay for it. But what we are paying for now is getting ridiculous. The amount of money we pay is outrageous. And I would let it slide if we were actually getting something from all this money, like health care for example... (not that I advocate gov't sponsored health care, but I would at least understand it if our existing taxes went to pay for that, but it doesn't)
    Would you mind to explain bolded part to me ?

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Would you mind to explain bolded part to me ?
    Actually, the count has grown to 150 countries.

A list of the countries are here:
    Deployments of the United States Military - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    however, "Omitted are some countries to which fewer than 100 U.S. troops are deployed."

sources:
    DUSD(I&E) - I&E Library
    The Worldwide Network of US Military Bases
    http://siadapp.dmdc.osd.mil/personne...ry/hst0803.pdf
    Q&A: U.S. troops stationed in more than 150 countries - St. Petersburg Times
    Amazon.com: The Revolution: A Manifesto: Ron Paul: Books

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

I am sorry if I wasn't clear enough. The actual question is: "Why you are not comfortable funding this ?".

If someone else wants to answer this question I will listen.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I am sorry if I wasn't clear enough. The actual question is: "Why you are not comfortable funding this ?".

If someone else wants to answer this question I will listen.
    Oh. I simply think that this country should spend more time and effort fixing its own problems, rather than policing (or regulating) the world. It's ridiculous to me.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

There isnt a clear European identity so I dont think its possible to talk about European versus American values per se, there arent common values between the states in the US if the elections before Obama or the culture wars are anything to go by.

There could be different values or cultures between people divided by languages, German, French, British but then there are different cultures between the Scottish, Irish, Welsh and English and they share a common language.

Sniffles

Yes, neither America nor Europe are monoliths - so many of these generalizations and piss contests are pointless anyways.