User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Also we walk/cycle more. Cheap gas / urban planning etc is not pedestrian friendly in the US.

So far Europe is pwning America.

Like we needed a thread to tell us that. :rolli:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTJ

If I remember correctly, America has the lowest "food price v. average income" ratio of any other country. We are a wealthy, food exporting nation, and I guess the drawback of that is that some people can't help stuffing their friggin face. Plus a lot of cities/towns in America require a car to move around, so on top of eating a lot, people barely walk.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

+ the best burgers !
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Does anyone think it has to do with density of population? In Europe, the tendency seems to go toward urban society, and has a higher population density (I think). In the U.S., the urban areas of higher population density have government and some societal aspects more like Europe. Still, people in the big cities eat Big Macs and stuff, since our rural and urban cultures mesh together and create a "status quo" that lasts a while, and has impact on the minds of everyone as to the way things "should be".

I think the main divide is rural vs. urban, and other differences are residual from past generations and whatever their dominant ideas were, but those slowly change, too.
    Yes, that has a lot to do with it.

MBTI
    INFP

Yeah. And CA wants to ban fast food places in low-income areas? Puleeze.

The excuse I hear for obesity all the time is that poor people eat a lot of cheap food high in calories.

Fast food is cheap? Poor people didn't have any education in nutrition? Impoverished people can afford a steady diet of fast food?

America has gone crazy and the world, eager to join the trendy stuff, is following right along behind.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

Oh boy, you're right. I walk a lot. I live in a town in which some of the people, mainly those running the town, think that sidewalks and bike lanes will destroy the town's "rural atmosphere" (there haven't been any farms in years but that is just a minor detail). I'm a freelance journalist and I sometimes have to walk miles and miles to get to where I am going. There are some places where I can't walk at all because of the life-threatening street crossings.
    Also, mass transit is terrible. This is no accident, either. General Motors wanted people to buy cars. This was back in the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s. It bought up the trolley systems of more than 100 U.S. cities and destroyed them so that people would ride on buses, instead of trolley cars. From what I read, the trolley cars were much nicer and a much more effective way of getting around. People didn't like buses because they were noisy and smelled bad. As a result, the reduced ridership meant that service on many mass transit systems kept getting cut until the systems became close to useless.
    So most people have to have cars... and one person per car is a very inefficient way to transport people and is also bad for the environment.
    I have found, as a person who does not own a car (way beyond my budget), getting around can be a terrific nightmare!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Also we walk/cycle more. Cheap gas / urban planning etc is not pedestrian friendly in the US.

So far Europe is pwning America.

Like we needed a thread to tell us that. :rolli:

MBTI
    INFP

I don't know how it is elsewhere but here in the Midwest we PAY farmers not to grow food. How counter-intuitive is that?
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

at least you dont build a metro that runs on diesel like the french
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

Yuck! Stinky!!!

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    at least you dont build a metro that runs on diesel like the french

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    I don't know how it is elsewhere but here in the Midwest we PAY farmers not to grow food. How counter-intuitive is that?
    Still? That's crazy. Even more crazy than growing bio fuel crops when half the planet is starving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.