User Tag List

First 142223242526 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post

I don't know much about European universities, but I have the feeling that the entire structure is different than the US.
    That is true, also the entire life path is different. Since we don't move that much.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    That is true, also the entire life path is different. Since we don't move that much.
    It's a case of, throwing money at the "problem" won't fix it. Costs will just continue to increase...until government starts putting in price caps to limit its own costs.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTP

You talk as though no one can get a college education in the US. That's not the case. Regardless, Wal-mart needs employees, too. I'd rather my tax dollars not go to pay for some punk to go party for a few years, then drop out.
    Given the finance industry bailouts (some losses undoubtedly connected to students walking from loans) and hte iraqi war efforts, I would be cautious as well.

I don't know anything about the german apprenticeship system, so I can't comment on it. If you're up for explaining it, rather than trash talking, I'm willing to listen.
    It's more like a coop program. 3 years of mixed studies and working directly in the intended environments. The result is a qualified workforce with job contacts. A downside is that too much weight is placed on the final paperwork, such as typical university degrees are used to. At any rate, the craftsmanship is top notch as a result. I ran into a guy on one of my jobsites who years prior was basically just a stupid guy capable of using a sledgehammer for demolition and by our next encounter was running his own heating installation company and confidently contradicted the assumptions i had long struggled with the facility managers. His work was quick and clean.

From what I hear from Europeans, Americans are the laziest (along with the fattest and stupidest).
    Fattest for sure, but if we are going for stereotypes, the italians are lazier. Stupid is an interesting angle to argue. Bush did serve 2 terms. I am (still) american, myself.

I don't know much about European universities, but I have the feeling that the entire structure is different than the US.
    It is different. The same way US state residents pay into a pool for reduced tuition costs, the costs here are almost nothing. The catch can be getting a seat at teh university of your choice in the field of your choice. Some of my friends had to wait for years or even start their courses in another country because there was a long waiting list for a place where they wanted to go. This was for medicine. My ex did not have the best grades in school, so she picked what she thought would be an easy field (some kind of earth science) to get a quick place and be able to stay in the area to study. Another friend ended up moving to another city to study art because she was simply not accepted at the art schools in berlin. IN that regard it is similar to the states in there is real competition in getting into certain schools, but there are no college sports teams, dorms are not the standard everywhere, etc. In berlin, the colleges for the arts are totally separate from humanities, which are separated from science and technologies, and medicine is also somewhat separated. I dont study, so i cant offer more depth, but there is definitely no such thing as a typical big state school segregated into unrelated departments which then compete for attention against extracurricular nonsense.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    How can someone weight over 250 Ibs? I trully don't understand this one.
    Here if you are over 200Ibs you are fat pig unless you are really tall.
    But in US there are people over 300,400 or even heavier than that.
    I can't believe that a person can't see that they are getting fat and do something about it.
    I mean you can't get that much fat over night.

Do you people think that fat people TRY to gain weight? Do you think that we somehow are so different, that we're fat just because we're fat and lazy (gotta love that circular logic that's always applied).

I have steadily gained weight since I was in the 4th grade. I figured out by the time I was in 8th grade that the main reason for this is that I had a thyroid problem. By the time I found the right dosage for my medication, I had ballooned to 280 pounds in the 11th grade. I am currently 305 pounds.

Not every American suffers from a thyroid problem, obviously. And not all of my problem is based on that. But I hate, utterly hate, people who are skinny and don't really do anything to maintain that complain about "lazy" fat people. You don't know what it's like, and you don't have any right to criticize me or anyone else.

I feel like the only way you can be completely accepted in either American OR European society is to be completely normal. White skin, "normal" colored hair, skinny as a rail. It's all about the surface. Both societies suck.
    "Can you set me free from this dark inner world? Save me now, last beats in the soul.."

Fonewearl and proud of it!

I (85%) - N (80%) - F (35%) - P (90%)
    O: 94% C: 18% E: 21% A: 94% N: 38%
    9w1 (SP, SX, SO)
    (9, 5, 4)
    RCUAI (Primary Calm)

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post

Do you people think that fat people TRY to gain weight? Do you think that we somehow are so different, that we're fat just because we're fat and lazy (gotta love that circular logic that's always applied).

I have steadily gained weight since I was in the 4th grade. I figured out by the time I was in 8th grade that the main reason for this is that I had a thyroid problem. By the time I found the right dosage for my medication, I had ballooned to 280 pounds in the 11th grade. I am currently 305 pounds.

Not every American suffers from a thyroid problem, obviously. And not all of my problem is based on that. But I hate, utterly hate, people who are skinny and don't really do anything to maintain that complain about "lazy" fat people. You don't know what it's like, and you don't have any right to criticize me or anyone else.

I feel like the only way you can be completely accepted in either American OR European society is to be completely normal. White skin, "normal" colored hair, skinny as a rail. It's all about the surface. Both societies suck.
    Hear, here! Less fattist commentry from the like of TAO - they eat frogs in Crowaisha, you know.

Go to the Naughty Step AO, and say over 9000 "sorries".

Sorry, my question was not ment to be an insult.
    To tell you one more thing, you are right I don't know how it is like.
    As you said not everyone has thyroid problem. So, what people who don't have it do?

It is just that being so much overweight is somewhat hard to understand.
    At least for me.

MBTI
    INTJ

But I hate, utterly hate, people who are skinny and don't really do anything to maintain that complain about "lazy" fat people.
    Well shit on a stick, I guess I know who won't be sending me a friend invite anytime soon.

(off to look at myself naked in a mirror, and then go outside to harass some lazy fatties)

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

Fat, skinny...who cares...what is the quality of your work? What can you do to improve your circumstances and by extension your country?

I have had good friends and teachers who have gone through euro apprentice systems...these countries also had mandatory national service something that probably would not fly here in the US. The proof is in the results for these practical apprenticeship systems...it is hands on and expectations are high as they should be. The work shows it. I have compared products from various countries and it is pretty plain where workers have had access to quality training. I also believe there is much more pressure from a societal norm easier to enforce in these smaller perhaps less diverse than the US in many ways.

If you're going to do something do it well.

By the way Romanian ball bearings are crap. FYI
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Hirsch63 View Post
    these countries also had mandatory national service something that probably would not fly here in the US.
    Definitely not. Even mentioning it would probably be close to political suicide without very, very careful wording. Getting it passed would be impossible.

On that same note, I don't think we could even have a successful draft for a war unless we'd been attacked first, in a MAJOR way. Vietnam's riots and disobedience would probably look small compared to what would occur in trying to do that now.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    ENTP

In germany, one can choose between spendign a year in the army, or donating your time for some social service project. As an example, one of my friends helped take care of retarded people.

I worked in a typical suburban grocery store doing the classic bag boy job during highschool. Let me tell ya, a few people might have unfortunate thyroid problems and such, but most people simply eat the wrong food for their bodies. If nutrition guidelines are to ingest 2k calories per day, salad with oil and vinegar might be a better idea than oreo ice cream with chocolate sauce...

However, the quality of food most americans can afford is also shitty. Corn syrup galore instead of sugar (even mexico uses sugar instead of cornsyrup), genetically modified produce and animals, and odd additives to packaged foods exist in america in a way that europe has a long way to reach. Why do american bread and hot dogs, even premium brands, all have such crap? There are alternatives, but I can understand that fresh fields and trader joes are not available or affordable by most. As an odd comparison, I can buy some trader joes products at a discount supermarket here.