User Tag List

First 10181920212230 Last

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    There is very little real hunger in the US. In the city in which I live, there is actually an overabundance of food aid for those who need it. If someone in Rocky Mount is missing a meal, the reason for it is lack of communication, not lack of supply or public goodwill. Most of this food aid comes in the form of charitable giving organized by local 501c-3s, which include churches, para-church organizations, and secular non-profits.
    I think you're deliberately missing the point. It was a metaphor, use your iNtuition, if you have any; don't be so literal.

And please, don't get stuck into patriotic self defence. We're not here to put America or Europe on trial.
    Last edited by Blackmail!; 12-18-2008 at 04:38 AM.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INFP

@ Blackmail. And. . .thanks for that!

I've muddled through the odds and ends here since I last posted.

Random thoughts, all. And here are a few more:

*Most of the new generation Europeans I've met are significantly mentally and physically healthier than Americans. They have an emotional pragmatism which seems attractive to me. If you don't know what I mean, please don't ask, cuz I don't know how to explain it.

*While Europe seems to be gradually melding I have an intuition that American may be gradually moving toward splitting into regional areas.

*The psychologist, Alice Miller, suggests that present day domestic violence has its roots in Northern European child-rearing practices. Edit: afterthought. As we become more homogenous that certainly is a Eurocentric thought isn't is? Poor Alice. I can see her reason in Midwest culture, nonetheless.

*I have been amazed upon meeting members of our Old World family that they seem oblivious to the enormous scale of America, although they are educated people. They were also very much fixated on cowboys and Indians. Heh.

*I know some oldsters who are still angry with France for not paying us back after WWII!

*Another personal thought. I am saddened that Europe has, as has much of the rest of the world, adopted many of the self-defeating habits/traits of popular American culture.

Anything there worth discussing?
    Last edited by Anja; 12-17-2008 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Afterthought.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post

*While Europe seems to be gradually melding I have an intuition that American may be gradually moving toward splitting into regional areas.
    I have thought this recently as well. You can see it very clearly in elections, south is red, middle is red, coasts are blue. The conservative vs. liberal divide is pretty great eventually I think it will cause some real conflict. The problem is, people use the government as a vessel for pushing ideals. I don't really think that's what it is for. Who's to say it should lean left or right at all?

Education is so scattered across states that some areas just don't have the ability to compete with the demands of the current world, and those areas get left behind. The gap will only get greater.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I have thought this recently as well. You can see it very clearly in elections, south is red, middle is red, coasts are blue. The conservative vs. liberal divide is pretty great eventually I think it will cause some real conflict.
    The catch is that....most of the population is pretty damn apathetic politically. They have those opinions, but don't care as much as you'd think, unless something really radical were to occur. But even then, I don't think you'd have the conflict you're thinking of, because of the fairly broad rights the states have. We've seen this with, say...Gay Marriage. The liberal states allow it (or are moving towards it.), the conservative ones don't.

Education is so scattered across states that some areas just don't have the ability to compete with the demands of the current world, and those areas get left behind. The gap will only get greater.
    They are making decent strides in that area though. Schools are improving overall, and in those areas as well.

The military actually serves an important role here. As is expected, the poorer people are the ones that typically turn to the military for a job/career, and the military pays for a significant part of/all of college for soldiers. (And this should be increased as well.). I know a good number of people who came from places like Middle of Nowhere, West Virginia, and the army is really the reason they got an education, those commercials they have, aren't entirely false.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    I think you're deliberately missing the point. It was a metaphor, use your iNtuition, if you have any; don't be so literal.

And please, don't get stuck into patriotic self defence. We're not here to put America or Europe on trial.
    I was just talkin' smack... a time-honored mode of international relations, you'll recall.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Nope, no downsides. Can you point out the upsides to prohibition?
    Controlling the use of something very powerful and dangerous, with social implications of it's own.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Controlling the use of something very powerful and dangerous, with social implications of it's own.
    The only problem is that it cannot be effectively controlled.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    The only problem is that it cannot be effectively controlled.
    Can anything really be 100% controlled? You make the best of it, or not, depending on your view point. Anyway, I would probably legalize all drugs if I was in charge but that wasn't the point.

The point id, I was trying to make an analogy between drugs and guns (I admit it might have not been the best one), since they are both things that when badly used can produce devastating results. Hence, regulations.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Do you enjoy spending half your day in highways? Ask yourself why!
    Unless they're involved in the transport business, I can't imagine anyone spending half of their day on highways. I detect hyperbole.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Can anything really be 100% controlled? You make the best of it, or not, depending on your view point. Anyway, I would probably legalize all drugs if I was in charge but that wasn't the point.

The point id, I was trying to make an analogy between drugs and guns (I admit it might have not been the best one), since they are both things that when badly used can produce devastating results. Hence, regulations.
    The demand for drugs is inelastic (which is why prohibition will ALWAYS be a failure). The demand for guns may not be completely elastic, but it's more elastic than drugs.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."