User Tag List

First 8161718192028 Last

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    People are duped into believing that prohibition has a positive cumulative effect on society. It doesn't. Prohibition advocates ignore the violence it causes.

Now we have places like New York banning trans fats. That's just the start.
    There's probably a difference with trans fats.. in that they are easily replaceable with product that will have the same effect.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    People are duped into believing that prohibition has a positive cumulative effect on society. It doesn't. Prohibition advocates ignore the violence it causes.
    My question was about "what is the downside of hard drugs being legal". Are there no downsides?

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    See, this is what I mean by ENTPs trying to bounce ideas off of others to see if they'll float.... but this one sinks the rest he has accurate hehe
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

(motto of Paris)
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Wild horses View Post
    What I just said.. that in Europe success is not celebrated openly the way it is in America... They are more open in America about chasing after the american dream at all costs and seem more purpose driven
    Again, that's way more complex than that. You should read Max Weber's "The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism", for instance, if you're into sociology.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Well see, that's the whole point. You want the government to decide what's good for you and what's not.

I (along with many other Americans) do not subscribe to that concept.

Making this thread interesting is difficult enough, so please, Edgar, could you avoid doing those abysmally ignorant and dumb remarks, or are you making them on purpose, you troll?

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Making this thread interesting is difficult enough, so please, Edgar, could you avoid those abysmally ignorant and dumb remarks, or are you making them on purpose, you troll?
    You are French and you are an ENTP, and you are calling me a troll?

Why I never!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

You are French and you are an ENTP, and you are calling me a troll?
    Well, I hope you are a troll.

Because, if you weren't... well... I'd be embarrassed.

Anyway, do you think values may differ between a French ENTP and an American ENTP?

---

On a broader note, since we are talking about civilization, What would you think of the obvious differences between Los Angeles (your hometown) and Paris (mine). How does the shape of the cities affect the values of their inhabitants? How does a city reflect different lifestyles? Have you chosen to live in LA [I hope not]?

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    My question was about "what is the downside of hard drugs being legal". Are there no downsides?
    Nope, no downsides. Can you point out the upsides to prohibition?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    On a broader note, since we are talking about civilisation, What would you think of the obvious differences between Los Angeles (your hometown) and Paris (mine). How does the shape of the cities affect the values of their inhabitants? How does a city reflect different lifestyles? Have you chosen to live there [I hope not]?
    I have spent about a week in Paris before, but since I don't speak French I didn't interact a whole lot with the local populace, so I don't think I can make an accurate judgment as to the inhabitants.

It's a beautiful city though, I'll admit to that much.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

I have spent about a week in Paris before, but since I don't speak French I didn't interact a whole lot with the local populace, so I don't think I can make an accurate judgment as to the inhabitants.

It's a beautiful city though, I'll admit to that much.
    So you know, Civilization is a byproduct of Cities.

And I'd say if you carefully look at most American cities, you can see many conflicting civilizations, many conflicting lifestyles and thus, many conflicting values at work. Have you ever read Lewis Mumford or Mike Davis? (however controversial their works might be!)

It's just a hint I give to you so you could realize how deep and complex this subject could be, far from the petty chauvinist contest we've read so far.

7w8 SCUxI